iPhone vs. Android via USB-C sound quality difference is huge
May 12, 2024 at 12:39 AM Post #16 of 23
Still testing here.
Switching back and forth.
Same track. Same lossless.
The Moondrop is more „impulsive“, little more resolving. Little less sharp in the highs. More dynamic in total.

To me it sounds like better power handling for now.
It would also be interesting how Moondrop/Android changes the volume vs. the iPhone.
I think the iPhone changes the volume inside the signal.
Maybe Moondrop/Android is doing that inside the DAC/Amp on the analog side?
There is definitely something different as the max volume is so much louder on Moondrop/Android.

May 12, 2024 at 12:46 AM Post #17 of 23
In order to compare, you need to level match. Different DACs will have different line level. And it's possible that the EQ function only works with the same brand of phone.

May 12, 2024 at 12:52 AM Post #18 of 23
In order to compare, you need to level match. Different DACs will have different line level. And it's possible that the EQ function only works with the same brand of phone.
I know.
I tried to match the levels here but it‘s not easy of course.
I have always the same DAC. 🙂 But different phones.
EQ works on both as it‘s inside the cable as mentioned several times. That’s also clearly audible.
👍

May 12, 2024 at 2:53 AM Post #19 of 23
Then your level matching wasn’t accurate enough. What you describe as the difference perfectly matches a slight level imbalance.

And different headphones are always going to sound different.

May 12, 2024 at 2:06 PM Post #20 of 23
In addition to perfect level matching, you would need to find somebody to randomly swap the phones for you and restart the track you left. Otherwise, it is a sighted test, and I’m sure you’ll “hear” differences: nothing wrong with that, it’s just how our brain is wired…

So, although there could very well be differences between the iPhone and MIAD01 sources with the Dusk DSP cable, eliminating the potential perception bias to reach a definitive conclusion is non-trivial.

May 12, 2024 at 5:14 PM Post #21 of 23
I’m not sure what you’re trying to test for. If you are testing DACs, then just test DACs, don’t let different headphones muddle up the test. Isolate what you’re testing for.

That said, doing ABX tests of headphones isn’t just difficult, it’s pointless. Even two sets of cans of the same make and model can sound audibly different due to manufacturing tolerances.

May 12, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #22 of 23
I’m not sure what you’re trying to test for. If you are testing DACs, then just test DACs, don’t let different headphones muddle up the test. Isolate what you’re testing for.

That said, doing ABX tests of headphones isn’t just difficult, it’s pointless. Even two sets of cans of the same make and model can sound audibly different due to manufacturing tolerances.
The OP is saying that it's the same headphone and USB DAC....that there's still an audio difference between the two if plugging in an Android device or iPhone. It's possible there is an audio difference if you do level match the two: we're not talking about a direct connection-there could be different "modes" with the Android interface vs iPhone interface. My guess also is that the differences would be greatest if you're directly ABXing them at one time. If you were to listen to the iPhone and USB cord/headphone isolated, it would sound just fine. Another part of human bias is thinking one thing is superior when directly comparing (and either sounding great if you were to listen by itself).

May 12, 2024 at 5:35 PM Post #23 of 23
I thought he was comparing cables, but it seems he’s comparing android and apple. In any case, he has too many variables in play to know anything at all.

To compare android vs Apple, you would need two cables feeding from the two phones playing the same file into a preamp for level matching, then a switch box connected to the cans… and a friend to administer the test. Not difficult to arrange.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back