How Do You Store Your Digital Music?
May 16, 2007 at 11:33 AM Post #31 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmk005 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you please explain this?
blink.gif

Sure.
  1. Rip to FLAC (-8 for max compression).
  2. Store ReplayGain and MusicIP info on FLAC files.
  3. Convert to Vorbis (auToV r1, -q 5 -> ~160) which keeps the MusicIP info. I just need to re-analyze for Replay gain.
  4. Burn FLAC to DVD+R.
  5. Delete FLAC.
  6. Use Vorbis for everyday listening both on PC and portable.
This way I'm saving a ton of HD space but still have a lossless copy ready if I want to change my lossy codec and/or bitrate.

May 16, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #32 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't remember how much ram mine has, but I know it's not that much. s it possible to add more ram? What are the advantages?

(Sorry for the late response, I did not follow this thread for a while)

The "normal" NV+ comes with 256Mb of ram. The "upgraded version" has 1G. They claim, and it make sense, that more RAM will give better performance when running music server (itunes, in my case) on the box. I went that route for that reason. You can upgrade the ram easily, instruction is on their site. However after pricing out the difference it was small enough (<$50) that it is not worth it, because I will end up with a 256Mb ram that I don't need.

Ironically, I ended up buying a iMac and am so happy with it that I just leave it running and serve music from it's iTunes instance, so I never use the NV+ for music serving.

May 17, 2007 at 7:05 AM Post #33 of 39
Quote:

Whaoh, mini data center. Do you have spare controllers on hand? Also, If your controller burns out, how does your replacement controller know how retain your configuration?

Yeah, I splurged. Swapping Firewire drives was getting real old, and I was not sticking to my backup schedule in a disciplined way due to the inconvenience factor. I do have a 1TB (4x250GB in a single enclosure) LaCie FW800 drive, but it makes an incredibly annoying grinding noise and you just can't leave it on all the time. You want your backup system to be fully automated so you don't have to worry about it.

The Sun is not that expensive, about the same price as a new MacBook Pro, including the drives.

No controllers, it's all on-board SATA (they do use some form of backplane connectors, but those are probably passive). The RAID configuration is maintained by ZFS on the drives themselves. In fact, you can unmount a ZFS pool from one machine and mount it on another in a matter of seconds if you have some form of networked block storage like Fibre Channel or iSCSI. I migrated 1TB of home directories on my company's main server from one machine to another, in just two commands.

Solaris is not the most common OS out there, but Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard will have both ZFS and an iSCSI initiator (client) when it comes out in October. Some NAS units like Adaptec's SnapStorage support iSCSI target (server) mode already, as do FreeNAS and OpenFiler, and the upcoming Solaris 10 update 4. I suspect the XServe RAID will be updated to support iSCSI, although the StoreVault S500 is already excellent for that purpose (both are too expensive for home use, however).

The beauty with having a NAS or server is that you can program them to run incremental backups over the Internet to another facility (or even do mutual backups) while you sleep, e.g. rsync or MozyPro. Given the slow upload speeds of DSL, it isn't fast, but sufficient for most purposes, and MozyPro is robust enough that GE selected them for their corporate desktop backups, for instance.

May 9, 2024 at 6:14 AM Post #34 of 39
Quote:

Whaoh, mini data center. Do you have spare controllers on hand? Also, If your controller burns out, how does your replacement controller know how retain your configuration?

Yeah, I splurged. Swapping Firewire drives was getting real old, and I was not sticking to my backup schedule in a disciplined way due to the inconvenience factor. I do have a 1TB (4x250GB in a single enclosure) LaCie FW800 drive, but it makes an incredibly annoying grinding noise and you just can't leave it on all the time. You want your backup system to be fully automated so you don't have to worry about it.

The Sun is not that expensive, about the same price as a new MacBook Pro, including the drives.

No controllers, it's all on-board SATA (they do use some form of backplane connectors, but those are probably passive). The RAID configuration is maintained by ZFS on the drives themselves. In fact, you can unmount a ZFS pool from one machine and mount it on another in a matter of seconds if you have some form of networked block storage like Fibre Channel or iSCSI. I migrated 1TB of home directories on my company's main server from one machine to another, in just two commands.

Solaris is not the most common OS out there, but Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard will have both ZFS and an iSCSI initiator (client) when it comes out in October. Some NAS units like Adaptec's SnapStorage support iSCSI target (server) mode already, as do FreeNAS and OpenFiler, and the upcoming Solaris 10 update 4. I suspect the XServe RAID will be updated to support iSCSI, although the StoreVault S500 is already excellent for that purpose (both are too expensive for home use, however).

The beauty with having a NAS or server is that you can program them to run incremental backups over the Internet to another facility (or even do mutual backups) while you sleep, e.g. rsync or MozyPro. Given the slow upload speeds of DSL, it isn't fast, but sufficient for most purposes, and MozyPro is robust enough that GE selected them for their corporate desktop backups, for instance.
Hi Majid. I just tried ISCSI and have a great experience with it. So far that I am overwhelmed about the improvements. From technical point of view I read that ISCSI shares are "like" internal drives regarding usage, more open.

"File storage becomes less effective as data volumes expand, however, and can get awkward and slow with too much data. Block storage is fast and efficient, and well-suited to storage of randomly accessed files that are large—such as application logs or databases"

So ISCSI is treated exactly like a hard drive(internal disk) - Block level storage

This is soo fascinating I tried moving my pc games to this storage. It is unbelievable. I have tried to disprove my hearing for a week now, because it is the same SSD. I confirm the greatness of ISCSI vs SMB/NFS/DLNA.

Can you share some more light on this subject if possible?

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 7:59 AM Post #36 of 39
Get a USB external SSD and plug into your router USB port to share on your network. Keep the hard drive offline as a backup.
That is still SMB or what kind of sharing type are you referring to?

SMB/NFS does not come close to ISCSI. I see most routers have SMB...sorry not gonna happen. Noticeable better with ISCSI :)

--

Furthermore putting that kind of unnecessary work on a router will degrade overall performance of the network. Not best practice imo

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 8:19 AM Post #37 of 39
antipodes audio dx3 oladra. convert to flac or rip, done. oh phoenix usb big thumbs up

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 11:11 PM Post #39 of 39
You guys know this is a 17 year-old thread, right?
Majid was last online NOW 2023? - I asked him a question thinking maybe he was still "active" on head-fi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back