How Do You Store Your Digital Music?
May 13, 2007 at 2:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

dmk005

100+ Head-Fier
If you are like me, your music collection requires something more than your computer hard drive by now. Have you installed a Network Attached Storage (NAS) or other RAID-type Storage Area Network (SAN)?

I ask this because I currently have 250GB of music on a LACIE network hard drive but this drive is not currently mirrored or backed up for faster/more efficient access/management. Hard drive life span on avg is 5 years so I want to plan redundancy now.

Please provide links to web available products whenever possible.

May 13, 2007 at 3:02 PM Post #3 of 39
I back up my files to a 160GB (2.5") external Firewire disk.

May 13, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #5 of 39
I Use an Infrant ReadyNAS NV+ with 4 500GB HDD's providing 1.3TB of storage in an X-Raid, which provides data security and very flexible upgrades.

May 14, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #6 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I Use an Infrant ReadyNAS NV+ with 4 500GB HDD's providing 1.3TB of storage in an X-Raid, which provides data security and very flexible upgrades.

Slick SAN solution! I think I need to head the same direction. Where did you acquire yours?

May 14, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #7 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Same here. Bought empty drive with 1G memory from amazon. (Same price from Infrant direct. no discount). Bought drives from online stores when they are on sale.Currently cheapest is about $119 for 500 Seagate 500G SATA2.

May 14, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #9 of 39
External 120gig USB HDD, soon to be upgraded to 320gig ...

May 14, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #12 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmk005 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Slick SAN solution! I think I need to head the same direction. Where did you acquire yours?

I got mine from newegg pre-configured with 4 500GB drives.

May 14, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #13 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by pkshiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same here. Bought empty drive with 1G memory from amazon. (Same price from Infrant direct. no discount). Bought drives from online stores when they are on sale.Currently cheapest is about $119 for 500 Seagate 500G SATA2.

I can't remember how much ram mine has, but I know it's not that much. s it possible to add more ram? What are the advantages?

May 14, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #14 of 39
Two 1 terror
icon10.gif
byte SAN's - oh and you maybe need to rethink your idea on hardrive reliability because Google, who maybe own more hardrives than anyonelse in the universe recently did a study on them and what they realised is that what hardrive makers have claimed doesn't add up and they are more prone to failure than you would think - best place to go is maybe http://www.grc.com/sn/notes-081.htm which links to the study by Google and another by one that reached pretty much the same conclusion at Carnegie Mellon.

May 15, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #15 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by leqin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Two 1 terror
icon10.gif
byte SAN's - oh and you maybe need to rethink your idea on hardrive reliability because Google, who maybe own more hardrives than anyonelse in the universe recently did a study on them and what they realised is that what hardrive makers have claimed doesn't add up and they are more prone to failure than you would think - best place to go is maybe http://www.grc.com/sn/notes-081.htm which links to the study by Google and another by one that reached pretty much the same conclusion at Carnegie Mellon.

Okay, so all bets are off when predicting HDD reliability. Do you agree our answer is still the same...we need a complex RAID-based multi-disk approach if we want true fault tolerance? Or do we switch to tape?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back