"Higher Quality" Files sound better ?
Jan 16, 2017 at 11:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Bepli

500+ Head-Fier
Hello! 
I am fairly new to the higher quality than MP3 "World". I recently bought different music files or ripped them from CDs and my question is if it really sounds better if I for example listen to the new Album from The xx - I see you, in Spotify Premium vs CD vs 24bit 96khz. For me it sounds different but I cant tell if its better or worse (maybe placebo), also I am unable to do any proper A-B Listening. Im using a Sony A30 Walkman mostly or a SMSL M3 for listening, also using Sony MDR-1A, Shure SE215 and the included earbuds of the Walkman. Also would it be enough to listen to CDs ? Or would it be better to use Vinyl and listen/RIP the music ? Sorry for poor English :S Also sorry if this is in the wrong Forum :S

Jan 16, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #2 of 3
Firstly, the files may sound different because they have been derived from different masters/recordings and not because of the different formats. High resulotion files are typically better recorded/mastered to begin with, though obviously that's not always the case. Since you seem to be interested in testing them:

If you want to do a serious format vs. format testing I suggest the following:

1.Get foobar2000 audio player (http://www.foobar2000.org/download)
2.Get the foobar abx comparator: (http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_abx)

3.a.)Then use your highest quality format (in this case you said 96kHz/24bit) and downsample them to 44.1kHz/16bit and 320kbitmp3/aac or whatever stuff you want to test.
  b.)If you have never done downsampling, as far as I know foobar let's you to do it by default. You open foobar, drag your file there, right click it, then convert> ... (the three dots option)> processing> from the avaible DSP windows choose a resampler and move it to the active DSP window>go to configure selected> set it up the way you want it. Afer you are done with that go back and convert it. Make sure that under the processing menu point, the resampling appears.
 c.) Converting to mp3/aac/ogg (etc.) is easier a bit, you right click the file you want to convert (still on your foobar playlist) go to convert>quick convert>select desired format, go to the edit menu point and set the desired bitrate and convert it.

4. Now you have the files you want to test. Choose wich two files you want to ABX then right click>utilites>ABX tracks.

/end

If you just simply want to do a test whether the files are audibly different to you (so not testing the format's constraints itself), and want to make sure you won't be a victim of placebo I still suggest to get foobar and it's abx plugin but at least you don't have to go through the converting mysery.

If you just want to just "simply" listen to them I don't see what prevents you from it? Just make a playlist of files and listen to them.

To me, CD quality is perfectly enough to enjoy music. Using vinyl is only better if you prefer the sound of vinyl over the sound of CD. Only you can decide which one you like more.

Jan 16, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #3 of 3
I don't find it worth the price for the difference in 24 bit over CD's for me .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back