Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Dec 11, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #2,927 of 4,259
@MMeirolas
Wow 3 years, how'd you manage that? I think if you aren't experiencing any of these driver issues immediately, I wouldn't expect the weird distortion stuff to spring up (of course I don't have this issue). That said, even my Oppo PM3's needed a driver replacement after 3.5 years, so I fully expect this additional cost with planars at some point (if I get lucky, even better).

What are you guys using for a stand with these? I recently picked up a really cheap stand on cyber monday that does what I needed and looks decent for the cost. Most people seem fine hanging it by the strap, but I wanted something that I could hang by the metal band. It was a bit tricky finding something that was both tall enough and accommodated this.

Anyway, pretty happy with my relatively cheap setup! The clamping force has really become quite comfortable for me for all day use after a bit over a month now.

Attachments

• SundaraStand.jpg
    SundaraStand.jpg
    618.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #2,928 of 4,259
@MMeirolas
Wow 3 years, how'd you manage that? I think if you aren't experiencing any of these driver issues immediately, I wouldn't expect the weird distortion stuff to spring up (of course I don't have this issue). That said, even my Oppo PM3's needed a driver replacement after 3.5 years, so I fully expect this additional cost with planars at some point (if I get lucky, even better).

Thomann in Germany has a 3-year warranty on everything, at least the more expensive stuff on their website.
well, i'm going to compare them with the hd660s. if there's no big difference for me soundwise, or i just prefer the sound signature of them, i'll keep those instead.
it's too big of a risk having extra costs all the time, because of a 5% sound improvement

Dec 11, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #2,929 of 4,259
Thomann in Germany has a 3-year warranty on everything, at least the more expensive stuff on their website.
well, i'm going to compare them with the hd660s. if there's no big difference for me soundwise, or i just prefer the sound signature of them, i'll keep those instead.
it's too big of a risk having extra costs all the time, because of a 5% sound improvement

I see, yeah that's a fantastic warranty. Personally I use a low shelf that really gives these a good punch that I just couldn't get with the HD6XX. That and the added soundstage work much better for the signature I want. I guess that's why I'm willing to put up with the additional cost, the added bass extension/impact is totally worth it for me - and on an open back you can really only get this with a planar. It's a lot more than a 5% improvement in this area.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #2,930 of 4,259
I see, yeah that's a fantastic warranty. Personally I use a low shelf that really gives these a good punch that I just couldn't get with the HD6XX. That and the added soundstage work much better for the signature I want. I guess that's why I'm willing to put up with the additional cost, the added bass extension/impact is totally worth it for me - and on an open back you can really only get this with a planar. It's a lot more than a 5% improvement in this area.

i see what you mean
in the end it depends how much you pay each time..

i had an ath msr7b and a akg k702 (not really long into this). at first i was: "oh yeah, this clarity. i can hear every detail! these guitar strings sound so gooood".
i though i wanted this sound signature. after a while i was like: "hum... why are my ears hurting...?" :sweat_smile:
so i'm hoping that one of those two isn't like that but a bit warmer while preserving details and good voices

let's see :)

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #2,931 of 4,259
i see what you mean
in the end it depends how much you pay each time..

i had an ath msr7b and a akg k702 (not really long into this). at first i was: "oh yeah, this clarity. i can hear every detail! these guitar strings sound so gooood".
i though i wanted this sound signature. after a while i was like: "hum... why are my ears hurting...?" :sweat_smile:
so i'm hoping that one of those two isn't like that but a bit warmer while preserving details and good voices

let's see :)

Unless you're against EQ or it's not convenient for your purposes, I'd suggest playing around with a low shelf on these. The bass roll off is really the only weak area of these and they handle EQ so well, I think it's a shame some people don't do this! In any case, everyone has their own preferences and that's fine by me.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #2,932 of 4,259
Unless you're against EQ or it's not convenient for your purposes, I'd suggest playing around with a low shelf on these. The bass roll off is really the only weak area of these and they handle EQ so well, I think it's a shame some people don't do this! In any case, everyone has their own preferences and that's fine by me.

it's worth a shot. thx :)

Dec 12, 2020 at 2:47 AM Post #2,934 of 4,259
So weird seeing these posts. I must have tried on the first 15 different Sundaras, owned them thrice, and never ever bumped into any issues.
i hear you mate..

just ordered my first sundaras based on the excellent reviews, and now i see this...
well, at least i have a 3-year warranty :confused:
I mean it is just two of us, and likely from the same manufacturing batch. Even the best brands in electronics will tend to have a failure rate around 1-2%, I just came into check I wasn't hearing things.

Dec 12, 2020 at 6:21 AM Post #2,935 of 4,259
Their customer service seems to be pretty good, I described the problem and they responded back within 24 hours with what I need to do to get a replacement set. I'm very pleased so far with their customer service, even if this is the second headphone I've had from them with a problem (albeit two different problems).

Dec 20, 2020 at 9:01 PM Post #2,937 of 4,259
Me to i have 3 years from Thomman . And me to i have HD660s and some others.
Both Sundara and HD660s are amazing but to me HD660s sound more natural and both of them are great on imaging and sepperattion , vocals also sound better on 660s more smooth but there is something on Sundara highs that is so good so effortless and airy , resolution is also great on both of them. 660s are way lighter with bigger more comfortable pads but the clamp needs brake in.
About quality control and problems Hifiman support is amazing they are fast and kind for me .
Sennheiser support i never use it 22 years now ,i have all 5, 6 series and some from 2x series and momentum none of them had any problems .

Dec 24, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #2,938 of 4,259
Folks, a new pair of SUNDARA have arrived as a replacement. How can I figure out if these are the updated version? To me the sound is the same as before, also without any hour of usage on it, just out of the box.
I had messaged to HiFIMan but they told me that they offer only 1 year warranty, and mine were 1 y and 11 month old, so my dealer, who has to offer 2 ywarranty replaced'em.

Dec 24, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #2,939 of 4,259
Folks, a new pair of SUNDARA have arrived as a replacement. How can I figure out if these are the updated version? To me the sound is the same as before, also without any hour of usage on it, just out of the box.
I had messaged to HiFIMan but they told me that they offer only 1 year warranty, and mine were 1 y and 11 month old, so my dealer, who has to offer 2 ywarranty replaced'em.

Look at the pads.

Dec 24, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #2,940 of 4,259
So, I bought my Sundara this year and assume it's the revised model (should be). I don't hear this grain you speak of personally. I have mild/light tinnitus, so maybe if it's very, very subtle I would miss it? Also, the peaks seem to be mostly gone on this revision. I currently am only using a bass shelf on EQ because I prefer more bass than the stock rolloff. Everything else sounds solid to me, though maybe I'm less discerning than some.

I've included a measurement by oratory1990, which is nearly identical to Resolve's measurement in his latest review. This actually sounds great to me, and trying the EQ oratory has for the latest Sundara revision sounds a bit oversharpened to me. It's possible I prefer slightly less treble than Harman, or there are some minor discrepancies here.

@Eddie C Those pads look extremely comfortable! For $22 those look very high quality, thanks for the update on that.
Guys, how to tell the difference between the old and new revised pads on the Sundara? Are only the 2020 revision being sold now? No chance of running into the old one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back