Hifiman Edition XS Launched
Feb 5, 2024 at 2:36 AM Post #2,731 of 2,788
Which one is more mid forward ? Which one has better soundstage ?
Just A/Bing with Billie Elish’s “What was I made for” between the XS and HEK stealth. The XS really shine here with the Mid being so forward, it’s like she’s singing inside my head (it’s a very freaky sensation). With the HEK she feels close in front and you can hear every detail from her breathing to the shakes in her voice. The HEK will give a better separation of instruments and you have a bigger sound stage.

To note: never use HiFiman’s cables. They suck. I use silver coated cables because my Moondrop copper doesn’t work well with the XS or the HEK for that matter.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2024 at 5:52 AM Post #2,732 of 2,788
Customer service asked me to take videos of the popping and creaking joints on my brand new XS. Lol.

I get it, but the comedy of having to send videos to prove that a $500 headphone makes noises and has worse build than a sub $100 gaming headphone is not lost on me. I have not had to do this with any other headphone I've purchased, much less one this expensive.

This type of stuff just shouldn't happen if you're asking for as much money as hifiman does for their mid to high end models. I get that they punch way above their price point at every level in sound, but seriously the build cannot be this poor.

They've nailed the sound side of things, especially recently by reigning in some of the more troublesome aspects of their house sound, so it may be time to start making advancements in build. I understand it's a reason they can sell at price points that are beneath market value from the sound they deliver, but it would be nice if they could marry sound and build- if they did they would Garner even more market share.

Sigh.

Feb 5, 2024 at 8:15 AM Post #2,733 of 2,788
Customer service asked me to take videos of the popping and creaking joints on my brand new XS. Lol.

I get it, but the comedy of having to send videos to prove that a $500 headphone makes noises and has worse build than a sub $100 gaming headphone is not lost on me. I have not had to do this with any other headphone I've purchased, much less one this expensive.

This type of stuff just shouldn't happen if you're asking for as much money as hifiman does for their mid to high end models. I get that they punch way above their price point at every level in sound, but seriously the build cannot be this poor.

They've nailed the sound side of things, especially recently by reigning in some of the more troublesome aspects of their house sound, so it may be time to start making advancements in build. I understand it's a reason they can sell at price points that are beneath market value from the sound they deliver, but it would be nice if they could marry sound and build- if they did they would Garner even more market share.

Sigh.
I have torned between the XS and the Fiio FT5 but exactly this is why i will go with the fiio, overall sound quality is the same (just different tuning), BUT the build quality is much much better. Hifiman acting like as this much money would be not enough to make a durable product. Fiio can make it.

Feb 6, 2024 at 12:05 PM Post #2,734 of 2,788
Very interesting. The elevation from 1 to 2.5 kHz will bring the midrange a lot more forward combined with the slightly reduced treble amount.
It definitely does — I went back to the original pads just for comparison and I was surprised at how much I missed the more elevated midrange of the Dekoni Fenestrated pads.
I’m not good with PEQ, could never get it right. I used both software and hardware EQ and sometimes mix EQ with PEQ. Usually doing EQ stacking will cause more distortion but the Schiit Lokius has next to 0 distortion. Weird, I know but that’s how I like it.

Maybe my XS is somewhat faulty but the mid is a bit harsh on high volume.

I value different things in music. I go for sound that’s smooth and flow instead of quick and clear unless the music type demands it. The other plus to the XS is being able to drive it to 90% of its best using just a portable dac/amp like my BTR7.
If you are looking for a smoother and less harsh sound you might want to try switching out the stock pads as an alternative to EQ. Pretty much all the dekoni pads round out the sound and I've found that with the Elite Fenestrated pads most of the time I'm in the ballpark without needing to use much EQ. The dekoni nuggets also change the position of where it's clamped on your head which in turn changes the frequency response quite noticeably:

IMG_6436.JPG

Feb 6, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #2,735 of 2,788
I’m not good with PEQ, could never get it right. I used both software and hardware EQ and sometimes mix EQ with PEQ. Usually doing EQ stacking will cause more distortion but the Schiit Lokius has next to 0 distortion. Weird, I know but that’s how I like it.

Maybe my XS is somewhat faulty but the mid is a bit harsh on high volume.

I value different things in music. I go for sound that’s smooth and flow instead of quick and clear unless the music type demands it. The other plus to the XS is being able to drive it to 90% of its best using just a portable dac/amp like my BTR7.
Try something simple like a -2db high shelf at 3k with a q of .70. It might be just enough to take some of the edge off.

Feb 6, 2024 at 10:51 PM Post #2,736 of 2,788
Try something simple like a -2db high shelf at 3k with a q of .70. It might be just enough to take some of the edge off.
Using crinicle or asr or whatever sites recommended settings are are more likely to be accurate and sound good since there are specific issues at frequencies outside of this range

Feb 7, 2024 at 2:42 AM Post #2,737 of 2,788
Using crinicle or asr or whatever sites recommended settings are are more likely to be accurate and sound good since there are specific issues at frequencies outside of this range
There is no accurate anywhere.
Consider this :
- EDXS has a well defined resonance at around 4K+ Hz. So this shows as a peak on frequency response curve.
So when you play music, the headphones will reproduce the music and add a tizz at 4 kHz.
Now going by the FR curve, we go ahead and add an inverse EQ at 4kHz to smooth out the FR curve, and claim hey bingo! we can even run another sweep and confirm our excellent handy work! but have we fixed it?
Not at all.
What we have done is added a suck out in the music being played. The headphones are still resonating and adding a non-musical tizz to the sound, which is very distinguishable to the human ear, but our dummy-head test rig is too dumb to know any better.
EQing does not fix resonances and distortions. It just fixes the FR curve shape.
EQ by ear, always!
use the FR curve as a crude guide only.

Feb 7, 2024 at 6:28 AM Post #2,738 of 2,788
According to customer service, the video they had me take showing the creaking and squeaking of the left and right swivels on a brand new pair is "normal" according to their technician.

Feb 7, 2024 at 8:57 AM Post #2,739 of 2,788
According to customer service, the video they had me take showing the creaking and squeaking of the left and right swivels on a brand new pair is "normal" according to their technician.
I really liked the XS but returned it because of the creaking and squeaking. Plus every time I picked it up the ear cups would drop a notch or two. The XS is due for a V2 so I'm hoping they change the headband design soon.

Feb 7, 2024 at 10:39 AM Post #2,740 of 2,788
Consider this :
- EDXS has a well defined resonance at around 4K+ Hz. So this shows as a peak on frequency response curve.
So when you play music, the headphones will reproduce the music and add a tizz at 4 kHz.
Now going by the FR curve, we go ahead and add an inverse EQ at 4kHz to smooth out the FR curve, and claim hey bingo! we can even run another sweep and confirm our excellent handy work! but have we fixed it?
Not at all.
What we have done is added a suck out in the music being played. The headphones are still resonating and adding a non-musical tizz to the sound, which is very distinguishable to the human ear, but our dummy-head test rig is too dumb to know any better.
EQing does not fix resonances and distortions. It just fixes the FR curve shape.
EQ by ear, always!
Well put 👍

Feb 7, 2024 at 10:41 AM Post #2,741 of 2,788
I really liked the XS but returned it because of the creaking and squeaking. Plus every time I picked it up the ear cups would drop a notch or two. The XS is due for a V2 so I'm hoping they change the headband design soon.
I find the XS pretty comfortable, but if they revised it to have the Sundara headband even, it would be pretty close to an endgame headphone. If they put the Arya headband, it would be even better.

Feb 7, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #2,742 of 2,788
That's the unfortunate thing about the XS. The headband is ass, and probably the biggest reason the price is this low

Feb 7, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #2,743 of 2,788
That's the unfortunate thing about the XS. The headband is ass, and probably the biggest reason the price is this low
I purchased one of the Custom Cans UK headband straps similar in style to the one Kentajalli created for his XS. I got the thinner, stretchier one and it markedly improves the comfort and, as importantly, the stability of the headphones on one's head. Before, even with an HD-600 headband pad added on, in spite of its increased top-of-head comfort, it would just keep moving around and falling off. The strap goes a long way toward stabilizing the cans although the clamp is still a bit too loose. I agree though with your descriptor of the headband.

Feb 7, 2024 at 6:31 PM Post #2,744 of 2,788
Consider this :
Not at all.
What we have done is added a suck out in the music being played.
Very narrow changes using PEQ Q settings in the 6+ range are not a panacea - its a sight relief so the music can come thru w/o the annoyance.

Go ahead and try the settings I suggested in post #2714

4.3k -3db Q 8.0
4.75k -3db Q 6.5
12k -2db Q 8.0

A/B a few cuts of well recorded music you know well with and without. Or don't.
The headphones are still resonating and adding a non-musical tizz to the sound, which is very distinguishable to the human ear, but our dummy-head test rig is too dumb to know any better.
EQ by ear, always!
I'm out front with adjusting PEQ for non FR issues and I've stated a number of times that I never use any that are printed at any site w/o adjustment - for probably at least the last 4 years. Of course ears are the final call - w/ mods also in the cards.

So the choices are:

1. leave as is
2. use crinicle or other
3. mods/PEQ -> ears

In this case the initial poster said he hadn't become comfortable with PEQ, and a follow on poster suggested a simple PEQ setting. I said a crinicle set of settings would be more accurate than that single setting. I didn't say it would be accurate period.

Feb 8, 2024 at 9:36 AM Post #2,745 of 2,788
So the choices are:
1. leave as is
2. use crinicle or other
3. mods/PEQ -> ears
I apologise if my post sounded as though I was picking on your reply.
My post was a general post, addressing a school of thought/assumptions championed by many.
It goes something like these:
- PEQ cures a rainy day!
- With enough PEQ bands, setup precisely, any headphone can be cured and made to sound like any other.
- FR curves obtained from reputable outlets are accurate enough to conjure up accurate PEQ settings that would cure all.
These assumptions are just plain wrong scientifically, because:
- PEQ can help with broad tuning of a headphone, no more.
- Every sample of a particular headphone, make & model, is different slightly, and they change as time goes by. Enough to nullify a preset PEQ setting to fit every sample at any age or condition.
- Obtaining FR curves is an approximate endeavour, even using the best test rigs costing many tens of 1000s, handled by experts. The very same headphone sample can yield different results, when tested again and again. slight seating changes, small variations to the pads, shape of the ears used, etc . . . .
- Test rigs are dumb! on an FR test, they do not segregate, distortion or resonances from signal. these would show up as peaks and nulls. Of course a knowledgeable person, would also run distortion tests. Using the two together, he can tell which peak or null is due to what.
On a typical EDXS, I would suggest using a wide bandwidth (small Q) PEQ to correct the 1-3kHz deficiency, that's all.
Depending on individuals, wide bandwidth corrections can also be applied for taste, preferences.
The 4kHz+ and 12kHz peaks are distortions/resonances. By filtering out the music at these frequencies, one would not correct the problem.
Think about it, PEQ only affects the music output to the phones, nothing else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back