hd419/429/439 comparison
Aug 28, 2014 at 8:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

flat bob

New Head-Fier
yo everyone

They're selling the low end hd4x9 series at my local store and they look quite tempting. I mostly listen to hip hop and alt r&b, and I've heard the three do decently at the low end. I will be driving them straight off my android phone with poweramp. Got some questions about the cans

1. Which of the three has the best bang for buck?
2. Any reliability issues I should worry about?
3. How different is the sound signature from a shure se215 ( my current iem)?

Thanks

Aug 28, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #2 of 8
I auditioned the 429 at Best Buy and bought the 439 at the recommendation of the shop clerk there.  

So I didn't do a side-by-side, however the 439 has better bass weight compared to what I remember from the in-store listen.  After about a month of use, the overall range seems pretty well balanced, but none of these are as beautiful on the high end of the gamut compared to the higher priced models.  Have not regretted the purchase and use these routinely for travel and what not.

Has held up well.  After 2 years of use (or a bit more) they still look like new.  They are light weight and flexible.  Very comfortable for my head.  

Aug 28, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #3 of 8
Have you had any issues with the thin cable? And do they isolate well in noisy surroundings? I had an issue with my hd 202 ii where the mids would start to scream a bit at higher volumes (while I was on the bus). Would you say the 439s have the same issue?

Aug 29, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #4 of 8
No problem with the cable.  As I recall it comes with both a long and short cable, but
have been using the short one since the get-go.  No issues.

When I'm carrying them in my backpack, I always slide them into a plastic bag, like the 
kind you'd get at a shop for books or such.  This keeps them clean, keeps the cord
from tangling with other stuff in my bag, and helps the bundle as a whole slide around
as my pack is jostled.  Really they still look new.

Isolation is fair-to-good, but not as good as my ATH M50s or NAD VISO HP50s.

I've never noticed the screaming quality... but I just don't have the volume up high
when I listen.  For noisy environments, nothing beats an IEM such as the Etymotic.
Those are the gold standard so far as I've experienced.  

Sep 3, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #5 of 8
Are they still comfortable if you have glasses on? I had a miserable experience with the hd 202s because they would clamp the heck out of my poor darling ears with glasses on

Sep 4, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #6 of 8
The clamping force hasn't bothered me.  There is a clamping action to be sure, but the
pads are fairly soft.

I do wear glasses, but the ear pieces are flat (metal) and so I don't have any issues with pressure
on the ear.  Also for my head, these are (barely) circumaural and so they don't compress the ear
at all.  For me.

I was able to try out the HD 429 at the local best buy.  If that's an option, then you could see if the
fit is okay.

Sep 8, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #8 of 8
Hope you enjoy them!  I found the top end opened up a bit over time, also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back