Focus Audio Thread
Jun 8, 2020 at 11:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

baskingshark

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi friends!

This is the Focus Audio Thread, it seems to be a relatively new CHIFI company. They have released a single DD set in three variants with different sound signatures (EDM, rhythm and vocal variants). Looks very beautifully crafted and exquisite.

11249629.png

11249628.png

Specs:
Driver: 10.2mm high energy magnetic tesla, double cavity moving coil element
Resistance: 16Ω
Frequency Response Range: 5 - 40000Hz
Cable: 2 pin 0.78 mm
Sensitivity: 105 dB/mW
$169

Early reviews here:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/focus-audio-vocal.24145/
http://www.aboutaudio.org/focus-vocal-review-time-to-get-serious/ -> this review compares the different sound signatures of the variants.

I'm a sucker for DD timbre and subbass decay any day, so the vocal variant is on my wishlist, may get it at the upcoming Aliexpress sales if there's a good discount.

Anyone else tried these before?

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #2 of 10
Looks very big so its a pass for me. But very interesting that they have 3 different tuning options.

Jun 8, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #3 of 10
Looks very big so its a pass for me. But very interesting that they have 3 different tuning options.

Yeah if they had put some tuning switches or nozzles in (so that u can just change the sound signature to the various variants on the fly), I would have bought it on the spot. As it is, we would probably have to pick our bets and just purchase one set that seems to suit us sonically wise based on reviews.

Jun 17, 2020 at 12:18 AM Post #4 of 10
FWIW, the Focus DD sets (each variant) is being sold at $149 USD during the current aliexpress sale, possibly cheaper with stacking coupons.

@RikudouGoku u gonna take a punt?

I have a feeling the Tanchjim Hana which is releasing soon will probably be in the same price bracket. Hmm, i more leaning towards the Hana actually, but it will most likely miss the Aliexpress sale.

Jun 17, 2020 at 6:45 AM Post #5 of 10
FWIW, the Focus DD sets (each variant) is being sold at $149 USD during the current aliexpress sale, possibly cheaper with stacking coupons.

@RikudouGoku u gonna take a punt?

I have a feeling the Tanchjim Hana which is releasing soon will probably be in the same price bracket. Hmm, i more leaning towards the Hana actually, but it will most likely miss the Aliexpress sale.
Im 90% sure I am getting the Hana, so will skip this one (it doesnt look good and looks too big too).

Dec 28, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #6 of 10
Hi guys, I just received my Focus vocal and spent a few hours with them. Im quite surprised with them. They are delightful, the tonality is great and they got really nice light warm signature with W shape, but without sounding excesive or harsh in any of the frequencies. Soundstage is average but instrument separation is really good and they are very musical and work great with all genres I tried.
IMG_20201228_130830.jpg

The package and the presentation are amazing for the price, the build quality is top notch and they are really comfortable.
These retail for about 140€ and I think they are worth every penny and perform above that price range, but you can get them under 100 euros with discounts (paid 93 for mine on black friday).

IMG_20201228_175635.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20201228_130830.jpg
    IMG_20201228_130830.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Dec 28, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #7 of 10
I have the EDM, but as others have stated the issue is with 3 different versions, there’s no clear understanding of the difference between each.

At $150usd each, do they expect us to buy all 3 to figure out which one we like best?

Don’t get me wrong, I like the EDM, the build is killer, premium presentation, etc.

But let’s say I wanted something with less v shaped basshead signature. Do I want the Vocal or the Rhythm?

How am I supposed to know, and I’m confused even when I own one model as a reference! Imagine someone not owning any of them, and basically guessing which one of the 3 to get. Very difficult.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #9 of 10
I have the EDM, but as others have stated the issue is with 3 different versions, there’s no clear understanding of the difference between each.

At $150usd each, do they expect us to buy all 3 to figure out which one we like best?

Don’t get me wrong, I like the EDM, the build is killer, premium presentation, etc.

But let’s say I wanted something with less v shaped basshead signature. Do I want the Vocal or the Rhythm?

How am I supposed to know, and I’m confused even when I own one model as a reference! Imagine someone not owning any of them, and basically guessing which one of the 3 to get. Very difficult.
Yeah it's kinda confusing tbh. They should give some more information and I think some aspects of the design (colour at least) should be diferent depending of the model.
Anyways Im really happy with the vocal, I guess the EDM and the Rythm must be great as well, but with some tweaks on the sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back