flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jun 13, 2020 at 3:14 AM Post #22,726 of 39,414
If you enjoyed the UE18+ I would urge you to try the UE Live. Best IEMs I've heard at any price.
I really enjoyed the UE18+ (second version, I believe it was) and would love to hear more from UE. Not enough attention for them these days.

Jun 13, 2020 at 3:17 AM Post #22,727 of 39,414
I really enjoyed the UE18+ (second version, I believe it was) and would love to hear more from UE. Not enough attention for them these days.

Definitely agree. Not a surprise as they are first and foremost a professional brand.

Jun 13, 2020 at 4:47 AM Post #22,728 of 39,414
really enjoyed the UE18+ (second version, I believe it was) and would love to hear more from UE. Not enough attention for them these days.

Definitely agree. Not a surprise as they are first and foremost a professional brand.

well imo an all BA design is kinda outdated in 2020 and its not something I would want when purchasing a flagship today.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2020 at 7:27 AM Post #22,729 of 39,414
Maybe I am getting cynical, but I wonder if that price is for the option to get the limited edition? So you select the standard Layla and then add the limited edition shells/faceplates as a design option to that.

Ah, that could be the case as well. If so, that post would be really, really misleading. :D In any case, speaking of the Layla's, I actually recently invested in a pair of my own when JH held their 25%-off sale last month. I feel like it's accrued such reverence as an industry OG - almost like a pair of Chicago 1's or Black Cement 3's - and that discount was the perfect opportunity for me to pull the trigger. Plus, I'll be able to get a closer look at JH's new acoustic chamber and 7-pin connectors, and hopefully answer some questions you may have about them here. I've been told they'll be shipped to their Singapore distributor next week, so I should be receiving them in about two. So, yeah, look forward to that post, and some pretty pics as well, of course. :wink:

Jun 13, 2020 at 8:34 AM Post #22,730 of 39,414
Ah, that could be the case as well. If so, that post would be really, really misleading. :D In any case, speaking of the Layla's, I actually recently invested in a pair of my own when JH held their 25%-off sale last month. I feel like it's accrued such reverence as an industry OG - almost like a pair of Chicago 1's or Black Cement 3's - and that discount was the perfect opportunity for me to pull the trigger. Plus, I'll be able to get a closer look at JH's new acoustic chamber and 7-pin connectors, and hopefully answer some questions you may have about them here. I've been told they'll be shipped to their Singapore distributor next week, so I should be receiving them in about two. So, yeah, look forward to that post, and some pretty pics as well, of course. :wink:
That's great. I really think it is such a good thing for us to support the companies that have devoted so much to R&D and trial and error to make this hobby what we enjoy today. I know I can be super critical of all of the new companies that aren't contributing to the R&D, only borrowing ideas from the OG's. The Layla Aion were incredible, overpriced, but really incredible. The design page of JH Audio featured that Aion design for a big upcharge. That 25% was such a good deal and especially since they were upgrading everyone to the new acoustic chamber and the 7-pin connector, I actually left a design in the cart, but did not pull the trigger. I also designed a Lola and left that in the cart as well.

Jun 13, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #22,731 of 39,414
Yes, but you also left out the issues with the Khan and an iPhone, even an iPhone connected via Dragonfly Red to the Khan. There is a hum. It can be alleviated by using Noble’s lightening cable or even Noble’s least expensive black cable. But the issue exists with the Khan cable. My understanding from Noble is that was not corrected in V2 either. John, aka the wizard, did post that there is no issue with the Sultan and the iPhone.

"Not corrected." Actually, I called Apple and told them they needed to make their phones compatible with the Noble Khan.

Seriously, we could have placed a filter inside the housing of the V2, (the filter is about the size of a grain of sand) but we felt folks that were knowledgeable about the Khan and the khan's idiosyncrasies would somehow feel that the V2 Khan was not holding to the original Khan's design. So the filter, remained as an option, that could be placed in-line with the cable.

Sorta like how the Er4p can be converted into a er4s with the addition of an inline resistor.

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Jun 13, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #22,733 of 39,414

Wow wow wow... Loved this review!
Suddenly I'm both delighted and apprehensive that I'm on this little MMR review tour..
Delighted because now I just HAVE to hear it for myself, apprehensive because.. what if I like it as much as you do? :joy:
$4.5k is "kidney on the black market" kind of money, haha

As a brief aside, was that the Iliad hooked up to the Thumimm in your review photo?
I'd be really interested to hear your impressions of the Thumimm with Iliad vs Plato :)
Why do I do this to myself? :joy:

Jun 13, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #22,734 of 39,414
Wow wow wow... Loved this review!
Suddenly I'm both delighted and apprehensive that I'm on this little MMR review tour..
Delighted because now I just HAVE to hear it for myself, apprehensive because.. what if I like it as much as you do? :joy:
$4.5k is "kidney on the black market" kind of money, haha

As a brief aside, was that the Iliad hooked up to the Thumimm in your review photo?
I'd be really interested to hear your impressions of the Thumimm with Iliad vs Plato :)
Why do I do this to myself? :joy:
Haha! I know I also couldn't keep it together with the Thumimm... had to cancel my LE Erl in order to fund it and pretty happy that I did! I seem to have found my endgame for the next few weeks/months

I do indeed have the Iliad hooked up to the Thumimm - it depends on whether you want to double down on the Thumimm's signature or if you want to balance it a little more. The Plato has really fast and precise bass, while the Iliad has a slower decay with a somewhat more diffused midbass. The main difference between the two is in the imaging though - the Iliad paired with the Thumimm is by far the most holographic and insane staging any IEM has produced for me, and also the reason why it's being kept in that config

Jun 14, 2020 at 7:32 AM Post #22,735 of 39,414
Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 8:34 AM Post #22,736 of 39,414
On the subject of the Thummim - I've posted a review too

Wow, I am still recovering from the previous Thumimm review :)
"Ambassador, with zeez Rocher, you are really spoiling us!"

I guess this line will not be amusing to those outside the UK lol.
It comes from this cringeworthy advert for a brand of chocolates, that became something of a pop culture legend at the time (80's?).
In fairness, it also propelled their sales into the stratosphere, and they remain a best seller to this day, so they must have done something right :D

Jun 14, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #22,738 of 39,414
All these Thummim review is making re-think the purchase of Erlky! I was always interested in Thummim but never saw much reviews until recently which are quite making my pockets itchy!

Is there any genre Thummim does not suit?
I listen to a huge variety of genres and there’s nothing that the Thumimm hasn’t absolutely nailed for me personally

Jun 14, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #22,740 of 39,414
Yeah for me too - I tried loads of stuff and I couldn't find anything that I didn't enjoy through the Thummim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back