FIDUE A83 impressions and discussion thread
May 18, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #1,681 of 3,064
@Midgetguy, do you think that the Earwerkz Supra 2 has enough isolation for an airplane flight (universal version)? I'm picking up another IEM to back up the A83 for isolation with a sound that I can still enjoy (based on the descriptions of the reviews).

May 18, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #1,682 of 3,064
  @Midgetguy, do you think that the Earwerkz Supra 2 has enough isolation for an airplane flight (universal version)? I'm picking up another IEM to back up the A83 for isolation with a sound that I can still enjoy (based on the descriptions of the reviews).

I've got the universal version and, pardon my language, but HELL YES!!! I've had to use the smallest tips I have available to get them to fit right (I used the smallest silicons from my GR06) and I imagine these are almost as deep insertion as actual CIEMs. The thing that was weird when I first got them was I had some larger silicons on (the kind I usually used with other IEMs) and the Supra 2 stuck out a bunch, not at all what I thought they were supposed to look like since I thought they were supposed to rest in your ear and look pretty much like an actual CIEM (which to me it does with the way they fit in my ear, good job Earwerkz). I threw on the smallest tips I had, shoved them into my ear, and then they looked right. I can see the logic in getting these as back up for isolation since the A83 is a very average performer at best in that regard. But with these....let's put it this way, a person who isn't paying attention could easily get themselves run over many times. I walk through my college campus with these in all the time and can't hear a thing in populated areas. I'd imagine if you used foam tips, the isolation would be even better.

Bottom line is that these isolate fantastically if you can shove them in your ear the right way. If they sit in your ear the way a custom would, then you know you've put them in right. It's also great because it's a sealed shell due to BA drivers. These IEMs are the most comfortable and best-isolating set I own, no question or competition.

May 18, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #1,683 of 3,064
Thanks @Midgetguy! I actually have a trip in a few weeks and this will help greatly. I'm sure it'll also help me throughout this year, where I'll use the A83 when it's not that loud since headphones are ruining my hair whenever it grows out (which is very quickly) and I'll only be using headphones for a bit.

Also the paranoia over the cable connector issues on the A83 got me. Today, I wore a polyester shirt and the static electricity made me think my sound was cutting out since I was walking and not really paying attention to the noise of that. I panicked over nothing major other then the fact that I need to use fabric softener in my laundry.

May 18, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #1,685 of 3,064
I've got short hair so it doesn't matter to me
tongue.gif
. But IEMs are a total yes during the summer months. Although they won't be what I use at home either. Bookshelf speakers to the rescue! Headphones are fantastic in the winter months though haha.

May 18, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #1,686 of 3,064
When I get a haircut, everything's fine. But my hair grows less than two weeks back to the point where I'll want it cut again to maintain my original haircut and slows down after that. After spending a summer with the M50x, I find the headphones to be great ear warmers and perfect for travel with a full-sized headphone during colder times, and the K7xx barely bothers me in comparison.  I'm heading to the east (part of the world) this summer and IEMs will be really handy.

On a related note, the A83 stock cable has a ring around the male connector that I can move around. The Shure cable has small washers that possibly hide this. For some reason, moving this ring ended my worries about sound cutting off, although I have no idea if this has any actual benefit. I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow.

May 19, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #1,688 of 3,064

Well I was thinking not like the way Tralucent has done it, where it was just made the way the owner liked it, but as in a company that worked with each customer and tuned the sound sig to their liking. The Tralucent 1Plus2 is pretty much the same unit to unit, but the thing I'm suggesting is one where each unit would be different because it was tailored for a specific customer. Not much resale value (only can be resold to those who prefer a similar signature), but it'd be one helluva custom treatment.

When you open this company please let me know. 
wink.gif

May 19, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #1,690 of 3,064
Ultimate Ears has a tunable custom for maybe $15-1800 where you go in and they tune it to your liking.  But it's a one-shot, you can't re-tune it.

May 19, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #1,693 of 3,064
And you have to go in to their HQ- for me a bit more than an hour drive, so no biggie.  Everything is a bit more than an hour away in SoCal.

Sorry- 2 grand  http://pro.ultimateears.com/products/custom-monitors/ue-personal-reference-monitors

May 19, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #1,694 of 3,064
  And you have to go in to their HQ- for me a bit more than an hour drive, so no biggie.  Everything is a bit more than an hour away in SoCal.

Sorry- 2 grand  http://pro.ultimateears.com/products/custom-monitors/ue-personal-reference-monitors

Ah, well...such was the dream... 
wink_face.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Users who are viewing this thread

Back