ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Jun 11, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #3,136 of 3,213
Hard to say. Does this person have a decent footprint on the site outside of the 0 feedback?

I would try and collect details. Posts on the E2. Not sure if they have individual serial numbers, if so ask for a pic of it. The more careful you seem, the more likely a scammer is to break contact. But watch coming across as too spikey. I know, a thin line.

There are other sites that are pretty reliable which I would not count ebay among.

Also, practice patience. They seem to come up for sale at a fair clip. 1500 doesn't seem low to me. 1200 or lower - yes. But that's an ask. Unless it unobtanium, I never my self pay ask. How long for sale? 3 days hard to get price drops. 35 days much more likely.

Good luck.
Very good advice!

Jun 11, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #3,137 of 3,213
Hard to say. Does this person have a decent footprint on the site outside of the 0 feedback?

I would try and collect details. Posts on the E2. Not sure if they have individual serial numbers, if so ask for a pic of it. The more careful you seem, the more likely a scammer is to break contact. But watch coming across as too spikey. I know, a thin line.

There are other sites that are pretty reliable which I would not count ebay among.

Also, practice patience. They seem to come up for sale at a fair clip. 1500 doesn't seem low to me. 1200 or lower - yes. But that's an ask. Unless it unobtanium, I never my self pay ask. How long for sale? 3 days hard to get price drops. 35 days much more likely.

Good luck.
Not much of a footprint on head-fi.
Listing has 30 days on it and dropped to 1200€ recently.

Will start a conversation with.
Payment via PayPal only looks promising.

Thanks for the advice, bagwell. :thumbsup:

I'm known for my patience, thou the E2 is on my list since 2019.
Hard to resist. ^^

Jun 11, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #3,138 of 3,213
After being on the fence for several months I finally took the plunge and bought Ether 2 used. I was a bit unsure because the reviews weren't generally positive. But I was specifically looking for a laid back, lightweight (under 300g), high end phones and there wasn't really any other choice but Ether 2. I am glad I bought these and I instantly fell in love with them. They deliver music in ways that no other headphones do. I feel that Ether 2 delivers high performance while keeping the weight and aggressiveness in check.

That said I find that the Vivo cables are thick, long and unwieldy, and I am curious if I can grab any DUM cable with 4 pins ? Must I buy cables specifically made for Ether 2 ?
That's pretty nice experience :D
it simply doesn't happen frequently with gear. Congrats !

Jun 11, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #3,140 of 3,213
Congrats for finding your "happy piece". :)

Happy listening.

Jun 11, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #3,141 of 3,213
Glad to see (and hear) that so many folks are enjoying these. They remain the best sounding most comfortable headphone in my collection.

Jun 26, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #3,143 of 3,213
I agree they sound great but I don't have much to compare it to. I do most of my listening in a stereo room. The HiFiman headphones are marked way down on sale right now. Tempted to move on the HE1000SE at $2,000 instead of $3,500 normal. Thing is it would mean selling my Ether 2's. Anyone ever heard both that can tell me if it would be a wise decision? I'll be using a Violectric V281 amp by the way

Jun 26, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #3,144 of 3,213
I agree they sound great but I don't have much to compare it to. I do most of my listening in a stereo room. The HiFiman headphones are marked way down on sale right now. Tempted to move on the HE1000SE at $2,000 instead of $3,500 normal. Thing is it would mean selling my Ether 2's. Anyone ever heard both that can tell me if it would be a wise decision? I'll be using a Violectric V281 amp by the way
I own and enjoy both.

But they have significantly different highs. HEKse is pretty bright up top, while Ether 2 is fairly rolled off up there.

Both have fairly big headstages, with excellent 3-dimensionality. Both have very clean, well-extended bass. Mids might be somewhat more prominent from E2, although that might also be an artifact of the more prominent highs from the HEKse masking some of the mids. I do think the mids are fuller from HEKse than they were from HEKv2, which I perceived as somewhat V-shaped.

HEKse is easier to drive from lower powered gear like DAPs.

I used to own the V280 and liked it with both those cans, so I assume the V281 would be a good pairing for either.

Hope that helps.

Jun 26, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #3,145 of 3,213
I own and enjoy both.

But they have significantly different highs. HEKse is pretty bright up top, while Ether 2 is fairly rolled off up there.

Both have fairly big headstages, with excellent 3-dimensionality. Both have very clean, well-extended bass. Mids might be somewhat more prominent from E2, although that might also be an artifact of the more prominent highs from the HEKse masking some of the mids. I do think the mids are fuller from HEKse than they were from HEKv2, which I perceived as somewhat V-shaped.

HEKse is easier to drive from lower powered gear like DAPs.

I used to own the V280 and liked it with both those cans, so I assume the V281 would be a good pairing for either.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for responding. I also find the highs to be rolled off which is really my only complaint with the Ether 2. As I mentioned I do most of my listening in my stereo room, and without any EQ. Maybe I should try some EQ just when I use the headphones to punch up those highs. Worth a try, thanks again

Jun 28, 2023 at 6:46 AM Post #3,148 of 3,213
Great amp. More detail via more (too much IMO) from the HEK SE. I like the HEK v2 (OG) better, but the E2 bass impact and texture beats either of them. E2 need more power, but you have it.

I think the E2 HEK v2 combo would really cover the bases w/o needing EQ - if it fits your finances. The v281 is a beast and you really want to have SoTA or near SoTA cans for it.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2023 at 7:37 AM Post #3,149 of 3,213
Great amp. More detail via more (too much IMO) from the HEK SE. I like the HEK v2 (OG) better, but the E2 bass impact and texture beats either of them. E2 need more power, but you have it.

I think the E2 HEK v2 combo would really cover the bases w/o needing EQ - if it fits your finances. The v281 is a beast and you really want to have SoTA or near SoTA cans for it.
I currently own all three of these headphones and I agree with you about the E2's bass performance. They need a little more volume than either of the Hifiman headphones, but the E2's deliver some of the best bass texture and impact you can get out of a headphone.

Jun 28, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #3,150 of 3,213
I currently own all three of these headphones and I agree with you about the E2's bass performance. They need a little more volume than either of the Hifiman headphones, but the E2's deliver some of the best bass texture and impact you can get out of a headphone.
In a sotto John Wayne voice: "Well Slim, you've got some mighty fine cans and equipment there... what is your current favorite combo? What will you be shooting for next?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back