Eliminating Hiss on Andromeda? < 100 USD Portable DAC/Amp recommendations?
Jul 11, 2017 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Feilong4

Headphoneus Supremus
I've just got a used Andromeda. I have an LG V20 and am using PowerAMP beta as the music app. I can hear a bit of hissing, and I'd like to eliminate that.

I've looked into the ifi iEMatch, though ifi does not recommend it for IEMs with an impedance of lower than 12 ohms. The Andromeda's impedance is 12.8 ohm at 1kHz. ifi also mentions how it may be "problematic at the least" for IEMs. I'm just taking their word for it.

Can a portable DAC/Amp remedy/eliminate the hissing? If so, what are some options under $100?

I'm looking for a very specific one.

- Less than an ohm of impedance
- Very slim profile that is pocketable with my LG V20
- Doesn't draw too much power (want at least 8 hours of constant of playback starting at 100%)
- LG V20's power button is on the back, so I wouldn't want it to be covered (Short form factor)
- Dial volume control that won't be accidentally moved and blow out my ears; guarded volume pot?

If a portable DAC/Amp isn't the answer, what are your recommendations?

Jul 11, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #2 of 7
Jul 11, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #3 of 7
I agree, although my biggest issue is that I won't be able to hear calls or notifications while listening to music on another device. It's also a hassle carrying 2 devices at the same time.

I know slapping on a DAC/Amp is essentially carrying 2 devices, but it works for me much better when receiving calls or notifications.

My other thing is that I love the UI of PowerAMP, the playlist capabilities, and the ease of use and access on my phone.

Because of those reasons, I don't have a dedicated DAP and won't be looking in getting one for a while.

Jul 11, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #4 of 7
I agree, although my biggest issue is that I won't be able to hear calls or notifications while listening to music on another device. It's also a hassle carrying 2 devices at the same time.

I know slapping on a DAC/Amp is essentially carrying 2 devices, but it works for me much better when receiving calls or notifications.

My other thing is that I love the UI of PowerAMP, the playlist capabilities, and the ease of use and access on my phone.

Because of those reasons, I don't have a dedicated DAP and won't be looking in getting one for a while.
Fair enough! I used to use poweramp too, the interface is pretty good. I don't think I can be much help though in that case :/

Jul 11, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #5 of 7
Not for sure you're going to find super low noise floor at <$100. You are running TOTL IEM's from a phone also not what they were made for as there is no mic and controls on the cable. If it bothers you that much I would take a shot on the ifi iematch as it is on Amazon and if it doesn't work you can send it back.

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #6 of 7
Not for sure you're going to find super low noise floor at <$100. You are running TOTL IEM's from a phone also not what they were made for as there is no mic and controls on the cable. If it bothers you that much I would take a shot on the ifi iematch as it is on Amazon and if it doesn't work you can send it back.

Well they are sensitive enough to be used from a phone. I first heard the Andromeda at a local Head-Fi meet, and I believe I tried them out of a ifi Black Label and couldn't make out an immediate difference if any when volume matched with my V20.

I might try the iEMatch and see if it works out.

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:02 AM Post #7 of 7
Didn't mean the phone can't run them or sound good even most phones are quite good. It's just the impedance and noise floor is your problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back