Computer power-related noise issue with active monitors
Apr 7, 2017 at 6:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Music Alchemist

Pokémon trainer of headphones
I got JBL LSR305 speakers today. They sound amazing...but there's horrendous computer noise that's often as loud as the music.

I know it's related to computer power because when I unplug my laptop's power cable, the noise disappears...but I obviously can't leave it on battery power for long.

I have the power cables for both the computer and speakers connected to a surge protector. My DAC/preamp is a USB-powered Schiit Fulla 2.

What should I buy/do to remove the noise?

Would connecting the computer to a different surge protector change anything?

Or would I need to buy a device to eliminate ground loops and the like?

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #3 of 6
  I got JBL LSR305 speakers today. They sound amazing...but there's horrendous computer noise that's often as loud as the music.

I know it's related to computer power because when I unplug my laptop's power cable, the noise disappears...but I obviously can't leave it on battery power for long.

I have the power cables for both the computer and speakers connected to a surge protector. My DAC/preamp is a USB-powered Schiit Fulla 2.

What should I buy/do to remove the noise?

Would connecting the computer to a different surge protector change anything?

Or would I need to buy a device to eliminate ground loops and the like?

Schiit Decrapifier but check as it might not be available right now. it's not a priority for their production line I think.

Or get the Modi2 Uber and either the Vali2 or Magni2 Uber so you still get preamp output but the Modi2 Uber uses its own power brick. If that still gets noise, try the Decrapifier or Jitterbug.

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #4 of 6

Or get the Modi2 Uber and either the Vali2 or Magni2 Uber so you still get preamp output but the Modi2 Uber uses its own power brick. 

I believe the Fulla 2 has the ability to draw power from a separate source instead of through USB through its second micro USB port.

Apr 10, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #5 of 6
Hi, guys. This thread took awhile to be approved. I had already fixed the noise by the time it was up.

All I needed to do was put a cheater plug on the laptop charger.
cool.gif

I used to own a Magni 2 Uber and Modi 2. The Modi 2 Uber is still USB-powered when connected via USB. I also used to own a Wyrd, but didn't want to get another just for this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back