Closed, compact and predominantly for classical music
May 8, 2014 at 4:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

BravoLima

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I have been reading the forum for days now and decided to ask for advice.
I would like to buy a pair of compact closed head-phones for indoor use (office, library etc). I mostly listen classical but not foreign to electronic and rock.
I have noted few recommendations, suggesting BD DT 660. I really liked those, but was put-off with the size and lack of bass (in case I consider to cheat on Bach).
Further research revealed ATH M50x. This looked compact and with detachable cable (and a bag) but I am worried it won't be good for classical music...
My budget is no more than £150 (250USD). Can you please suggest something universal, yet with somewhat classical deviation?

Thanks
Ben

May 9, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #4 of 12
For me, good reproduction of classical music predominantly requires timbral accuracy. I hate listening to "generic" instruments because the sound reproduction equipment isn't able to convey each individual player's unique tone.

So far in my limited headphone experience, I'm drawn to the better Sennheiser headphones, since the Sennheiser sound is neutral, accurate and timbres are realistic.

But the crux, as with all music reproduction, is to actually go and listen if atall possible. Right now many stores offer a wide selection of headphones which you can hook straight up to your smartphone and test with, and that at least lets you hear and understand the "house sound" of most brands. It's better than nothing :)

May 9, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #5 of 12
Actually he's right. The problem is the higher end Sennheisers are all open-back. I would have suggested something like the HD598 but the MDR-7506 is the most accurate and most neutral closed back I've ever heard. It is clinically accurate, so whatever you listen to through it better be extremely high fidelity and well recorded or it will show every last flaw. If that sounds like what you're looking for, you might as well grab a pair off of Amazon, and a return would be easy if you don't like it.

May 9, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #6 of 12
I'm loving the Sennheiser HD380Pro's. IMHO they're the best closed back headphone at the price at the moment. Way better than M50's for example. Pretty flat with totally non-fatiguing highs and slightly boosted bass from 60hz and under that, which really gives them that sub-bass weight without any of the mid-bass boominess. They're also better sounding than HD558's in case you've considered that. HD558s are too stiff sounding in comparison, they lack the fluidity in order to sound completely believable and natural.

May 9, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #7 of 12
  I'm loving the Sennheiser HD380Pro's. IMHO they're the best closed back headphone at the price at the moment. Way better than M50's for example. Pretty flat with totally non-fatiguing highs and slightly boosted bass from 60hz and under that, which really gives them that sub-bass weight without any of the mid-bass boominess. They're also better sounding than HD558's in case you've considered that. HD558s are too stiff sounding in comparison, they lack the fluidity in order to sound completely believable and natural.

Have you ever tried comparing them with the 7506s since you describe the 380s as "pretty flat?"

May 10, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #8 of 12
I recommend SRH840. The sound is on the warmer side but clear enough. Pacing is steady and sometimes elegant; soundstage is impressive. Comfort is below average because it has a heavy headband, but you can always mod that. Build quality is very good.

Another to consider is HM5. The sound is darker but cool. It's bulky but very comfortable.

You might find this thread useful.

Best luck.

May 10, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #9 of 12
  I recommend SRH840. The sound is on the warmer side but clear enough. Pacing is steady and sometimes elegant; soundstage is impressive. Comfort is below average because it has a heavy headband, but you can always mod that. Build quality is very good.

Another to consider is HM5. The sound is darker but cool. It's bulky but very comfortable.

You might find this thread useful.

Best luck.

I actually preferred the SRH440, the 840 seemed to have bloated midbass. IMO the 840 wouldn't be that great for classical...

May 10, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #10 of 12
  I actually preferred the SRH440, the 840 seemed to have bloated midbass. IMO the 840 wouldn't be that great for classical...

There seem to be two versions of 440: slightly bright and somewhat bassy. You never know which you're going to get, and I didn't like the bright one I had. More comfortable than 840 though, except for the pads.

May 10, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #11 of 12

There seem to be two versions of 440: slightly bright and somewhat bassy. You never know which you're going to get, and I didn't like the bright one I had. More comfortable than 840 though, except for the pads.

Wow, interesting. Well I've had two units and listened to one in a store and they all sounded the same: very flat mids with slightly-moderately recessed bass and slightly boosted upper treble. At least, comparing to my 7506 that's how my 440 is. It somehow remains very listenable yet close enough to flat as to be useful for professionals...except for bass extension.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back