Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Jan 28, 2024 at 5:06 AM Post #4,726 of 4,790
....... Or one of the T1 variants?

The T1 is currently the 3rd generation. T1 (original) and T1 2nd generation are no longer available new. Or are there still sources?

Jan 28, 2024 at 5:15 AM Post #4,727 of 4,790
What is the budget?
Audeze LCD-X can surprise you.
Arya is a good choice, Arya organic better.
The clamp can be battled overtime with headstands force.
Another option could be HE1000se maybe 2nd hand.
HE560 also have nice soundstage
Audeze lcd-2 also in same range Id say

Good luck 🤞

Think I'll grab the Arya V2 again. With the 1990s being detailed and precise, I want something with a huge soundstage that'll be different. Was considering the Stealth but I think they'd be too similar to the 1990s

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 4:54 PM Post #4,728 of 4,790
Got about half an hour with the 1990s today before I had to head out for class. I think these might have the best tuning out of the box I've heard. The 990s needed some EQing just so they weren't sizzling hot. None of that on the 1990, it also feels airy and open. I read people thought the 1990 had slightly less of a soundstage than the 990s but I'm unsure if I can agree. I'll be doing some more listening and some A/Bing between the two but first impressions is an overall upgrade for sure

Jan 29, 2024 at 4:57 PM Post #4,729 of 4,790
Got about half an hour with the 1990s today before I had to head out for class. I think these might have the best tuning out of the box I've heard. The 990s needed some EQing just so they weren't sizzling hot. None of that on the 1990, it also feels airy and open. I read people thought the 1990 had slightly less of a soundstage than the 990s but I'm unsure if I can agree. I'll be doing some more listening and some A/Bing between the two but first impressions is an overall upgrade for sure
That's interesting. How do you think it compares, broadly, with the HD800S (which I see you have)?

Jan 29, 2024 at 5:55 PM Post #4,730 of 4,790
That's interesting. How do you think it compares, broadly, with the HD800S (which I see you have)?
They were definitely the most spacious headphones I had owned, and the Arya V2 were a close second. However, the 1990s are much more favorable sound signature wise. The HD 800s were a bit hot out of the box, and they're so thin in bass there's really very little excitement. They sound good with tubes but on a small amount of music. Orchestral pieces and such

When I get some more time in with the 1990s I'll do a more in depth write up

Jan 29, 2024 at 8:35 PM Post #4,731 of 4,790
They were definitely the most spacious headphones I had owned, and the Arya V2 were a close second. However, the 1990s are much more favorable sound signature wise. The HD 800s were a bit hot out of the box, and they're so thin in bass there's really very little excitement. They sound good with tubes but on a small amount of music. Orchestral pieces and such

When I get some more time in with the 1990s I'll do a more in depth write up
Many thanks.

Jan 29, 2024 at 9:02 PM Post #4,732 of 4,790
Don't neglect to try the Analytic pads. They're the only ones for me, much more neutral and musical than Balanced or Dekoni Elite Velour.

Jan 29, 2024 at 10:13 PM Post #4,733 of 4,790
Don't neglect to try the Analytic pads. They're the only ones for me, much more neutral and musical than Balanced or Dekoni Elite Velour.
They were pre installed and will be what I'm sticking with. They're already exactly what I want out of these. I'm headed home now for a nice listening session!

Jan 29, 2024 at 11:56 PM Post #4,734 of 4,790
Fantastic headphones. The intro to Echoes from Pink Floyd when the vocals kicked in gave me complete chills.

These things are like butter. They're so musical, a perfect mix of bass, mids and treble. Instrument separation is incredible and the soundstage is spacious. I'm listening with the Analytical pads on my Schiit Midgard/Modius E combo.

1990 and 990 compared: Since the 990s are my only other pair I currently have I have the freshest comparison. The top end of each is the biggest difference. The 990 is HOT. Without Eq they are tough to listen to with certain tracks, and even with EQ several tracks can be painful. The synth in Welcome to the Machine is a great example. Pop songs are very treble focused and songs like Halsey's Ashley can certainly be noticed in the top end. With EQ the 990s are better and get close to the 1990s stock which have a nice airy detail to them. I'm not finding the 1990s hot, maybe a tiny bit but I actually prefer the stock sound to EQ. That's a first!

The Mids on the 990s are recessed compared to the 1990s. The 990s are more V shaped while the 1990s are more neutral. It's nice to have those mids filled in, vocals are more forward and I appreciate their mix in the songs I'm hearing. I find that the 1990s just sound much more full, the sound really fills out while the 990s have a thinner quality. It's really apparent as I'm currently A/Bing them. This contributes to the 1990s just being more musical.

Bass: Both are really good in this aspect. I think the 1990s are punchier, have more texture, rumble and impact overall.

Soundstage/Imaging: I am not hearing that the soundstage is smaller in any way to the 990s. I think that the sound is warmer and as stated more filled out. The stage is actually very open and airy. I think that may give the impression that the stage is tighter, but they're pretty much the same. The imaging is also super similar. Instruments are both placed in the same spots and they follow a pretty wide path Left to right. I love a huge soundstage and these are perfect. Not too big, not too small.

Details: Another thing the two of them both excel at. Without the mids as present the 990s are all detail. The 1990s have all the details, the warmth, and even better bass that all blends together so well. Some synths create a really satisfying bounce that you not only hear but feel. The 1990s even managed to be more detailed. You hear textures much clearer, really great.

Comfort: I love how easily you can shape this headband. I can put in a couple of bends by hand and they retain their shape without spring back. I'm able to control how clampy they are which I'm super sensitive to. I think the 1990s are softer and I like the earcups a bit better. I like the adjustor better as well

Vs HD800s: It's been a while since I've had headphones so I can only give a more broad comparison. The HD800s are king of Soundstage and need a tube amp to thicken up the mids for that fuller sound. It's slightly hot at times. The soundstage is larger and imaging is great, but at times you feel like you're reaching for sounds that are so far away. The biggest difference is the bass. The HD800s are lifeless in that aspect, you can't get much joy out of several genres. I think another thing you miss out on is a thick satisfying texture. With the 1990s strings and certain synth sounds have some bassy tendencies and you feel that in the music. The HD 800s you miss out on that

Vs Arya V2: My personal favorite "Big soundstage" and the queen of Soundstage. The Arya is super spacious with a mildly hot treble, and more of a v shape signature. They're pretty much a combination of the 1990 and the HD800s if you take the bass response and energy from the 1990s and put it into the soundstage of the HD800s. Imaging is superb and much like the HD800s you gain something the 1990 doesn't have much of. The 1990 is pretty basic left to right soundstage, maybe a bit of depth in front and back. With the Arya and Hd800 you get left to right, front and back, high and low imaging. Listening to Yoshi Horikawa's Bubbles you can hear the initial marble bounce to your left and around behind you to your right. I really want a huge stage again so I think I'll pair my 1990 with the Arya V2. They'll be a great 1- 2 punch

Vs Edition XS: Surprisingly similar left to right soundstage but no where near the detail. I was really disappointed with these. They slam well enough and bass is good. Just weren't good for a good chunk of the other music I like

Vs Meze 99, HD58x, HD 560s: Meze is all bass, super muddy, can't recommend. 58x is slightly warm and ok but nothing else. 560 is a lifeless fish. Nothing to compare here the 1990s absolutely destroy them in every way shape or form

Really enjoying these cans. I won't be using the 990s for mixing and listening anymore (they'll be practice headphones). The 1990s are simply better all around. Better detail, Mids, bass, less hot treble. Stage and Imaging are very similar and both very nice. Great headphones

Edit: I lied, the 990s are now extinct and going in to classifieds. The 1990 sound tremendous with my keyboard as well. Who would've thought

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 7:29 AM Post #4,736 of 4,790
Gave the B pads a listen. I can see why some people might like them but they'll never see my pair again lol. It's like going from 4k resolution to 1080p. You can still see things and make them out but they aren't super sharp. You do still hear a good amount of detail, didn't think the added mid bass was worth it however. Good if you're treble sensitive though they don't bother me personally

1990s gave me a MONSTER headache after my first day of listening. I wore them a couple of hours stretched, but not enough. I also found that they were either touching the bottom of my ears, or the next setting was touching the top of my ears which was annoying. I had a Sennheiser cushion pad laying around that I stuffed into my headband cover. I now extend the ear pads much lower and am able to find a sweet spot where my ears aren't touching. They're also less clampy and considering my head was pounding all day I was still able to put in a listening session for a couple of hours with minimal issue.

And finally, I couldn't resist but order a pair of Amiron Home. I wanted to grab an Arya V2 but had flashbacks of all the tooth and jaw pains those huge ear pads gave me. It'll give me a chance to try out the XLR with my Midgard and I'm wanting to add a Bifrost 2. Thanks headphones, I chose a bad hobby to get back into it's so damn expensive. If I ever move on again from headphones listening I'll hang on to my gear for my future speaker setup

Jan 31, 2024 at 9:07 AM Post #4,737 of 4,790
Gave the B pads a listen. I can see why some people might like them but they'll never see my pair again lol. It's like going from 4k resolution to 1080p. You can still see things and make them out but they aren't super sharp. You do still hear a good amount of detail, didn't think the added mid bass was worth it however. Good if you're treble sensitive though they don't bother me personally
"B" pads were more sibilant in my system, and bass intrusion into the lower mids is a deal killer for me. I agree wholeheartedly, never again. Elite Velour had good tonal balance but softened transients and poor PRaT.

I returned the Amiron after a couple of weeks because of upper bass/lower midrange bloat. and that is also one of the three reasons I dislike the Senn HD 650.

Jan 31, 2024 at 9:12 AM Post #4,738 of 4,790
"B" pads were more sibilant in my system, and bass intrusion into the lower mids is a deal killer for me. I agree wholeheartedly, never again. Elite Velour had good tonal balance but softened transients and poor PRaT.

I returned the Amiron after a couple of weeks because of upper bass/lower midrange bloat. and that is also one of the three reasons I dislike the Senn HD 650.
Yea I'm curious how I'll get on with the Amiron. I'm loving the detail in the 1990s but I am thinking it'd be nice to have a more relaxed pair at times.

Jan 31, 2024 at 9:39 AM Post #4,739 of 4,790
Yea I'm curious how I'll get on with the Amiron. I'm loving the detail in the 1990s but I am thinking it'd be nice to have a more relaxed pair at times.
It is definitely fun to have more than one sound. My alternate pair, the Grado GH4 is different, but very lively, certainly not what you would call relaxed. :gs1000smile:

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 9:51 AM Post #4,740 of 4,790
It is definitely fun to have more than one sound. My alternate pair, the Grado GH4 is different, but very lively, certainly not what you would call relaxed. :gs1000smile:
I originally got the 1990 for use as a mixing headphone and they're definitely great at that. They also sound incredible with my Nord Stage 4. My next upgrade is the Bifrost 2/64. I had the original Bifrost 2 and loved it but I did think it was a bit too warmly colored. What I'm getting from 2/64 review is that it's not as warm and improves in other areas which sounds perfect. Listening to the 1990s I wouldn't mind a bit warmth, but not as much as a tube amp which is a bit too thick for my liking

Users who are viewing this thread

Back