Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant!
Feb 28, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #31 of 2,575
Quote:

Originally Posted by imp0ssibled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi, i'm going to get either the dt770 or dt150 tomorrow, would the Pa2v2 amp be able to support their higher ohms?

not very well-- I'd stick with the lower-impedance versions. Also the Pa2v2 is supposed to be a bit full and warm, which wouldn't necessarily mate well with either headphone.

Feb 28, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #32 of 2,575
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not very well-- I'd stick with the lower-impedance versions. Also the Pa2v2 is supposed to be a bit full and warm, which wouldn't necessarily mate well with either headphone.

oh, wat do u mean by lower-impedance? any lower end amps to recommend too?

Feb 29, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #33 of 2,575
Quote:

Originally Posted by imp0ssibled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh, wat do u mean by lower-impedance? any lower end amps to recommend too?

I mean the old 80 Ohm DT770 version. Personally I'd prefer the DT150 with a better amp. If you think you might end up with a better amp within a few months, then don't hesitate to get whichever of these headphones most strikes your fancy-- it's not like the pa2v2 won't make them sound good, it's just going to leave a gap between the good it gives you and the good you could potentially get, a bigger gap than the 80 Ohm version would leave you.

Feb 29, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #34 of 2,575
Quote:

I mean the old 80 Ohm DT770 version. Personally I'd prefer the DT150 with a better amp. If you think you might end up with a better amp within a few months, then don't hesitate to get whichever of these headphones most strikes your fancy-- it's not like the pa2v2 won't make them sound good, it's just going to leave a gap between the good it gives you and the good you could potentially get, a bigger gap than the 80 Ohm version would leave you.

ic, then any amps to recommend that compliments these 250 ohms cans?

Feb 29, 2008 at 8:33 AM Post #35 of 2,575
well, for me the closed beyers tend to be so full and warm-sounding that I'd want a brightish and analytical amp to make them sing. But first, are you thinking a desktop amp or a portable, and what kind of budget?

Feb 29, 2008 at 9:39 AM Post #36 of 2,575
Quote:

well, for me the closed beyers tend to be so full and warm-sounding that I'd want a brightish and analytical amp to make them sing. But first, are you thinking a desktop amp or a portable, and what kind of budget?

i think i decide to get the dt770/80 instead, so i guess the pa2v2 should be able to power it fairly competently? but in any case, if in the future i do get a better amp, i would like a desktop one as i'm mostly listening to it through my pc, i was thinking of the iBasso D1 dac/amp, is that sound suitable for the dt770 or dt150 types? thx

Aug 29, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #37 of 2,575
I'm so excited, I just bought a DT150 for a real bargain. Should be coming here by next week. What really piqued my interest in them was when I read in sgheadphone.net forums where Mackie praised them in a DT880'05 review she/he did, then this thread, then the great comparison the head-fi'er Zonalblitz gave me comparing them to the dt880s. Here's what he said:

Quote:

Originally Posted by zonalblitz
The soundstage/presentation from the DT150 is not exactly airy. I would say it's still and analytical. Probably the best way to put it would be a sound room.

In terms of the 'width'. The DT880 is little broader and extensive. The difference in the 'width' between the 2 isn't drastic apart.

I would say both headphones have generally diffused presentation and sound imaging. A high headroom as well.

It sounds like a really great headphone. One thing I'm looking for is the thunderous bass some online reviews said of them. I listen to plenty drum and bass, so that should be a treat!

I'll be sure to give my impressions(God Willing) when they arrive!!!

Aug 31, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #38 of 2,575
I just picked up a pair a few weeks ago. Love them. They sound absolutely beautiful paired with my Apogee Duet! You are in for a treat.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 31, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #39 of 2,575
Cooooolll. I see that you have the dt770/80s. I once had those. How would you compare the sound between the two? Also, the dt770s were very comfy, even with their clamping force. Is the DT 150 similar in comfort level?

Aug 31, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #41 of 2,575
Quote:

Originally Posted by denl82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cooooolll. I see that you have the dt770/80s. I once had those. How would you compare the sound between the two? Also, the dt770s were very comfy, even with their clamping force. Is the DT 150 similar in comfort level?

Unfortunately they are not as comfy as the beloved DT770's as the leather pads are pretty stiff but seem to be softening up with more use. They have a more airier sound and lots of quality bass. The mids were a bit too distant out of the box (not as distant as 770's) but I have noticed them to come up over burn in. (and probably the softening of the pads have helped the presentation of the mids as well). Also they seem to perform up to the quality of the amp. I first listened to them with my Corda Move and they were decent but with my recently acquired Apogee Duet they are singing! I wonder if it even gets better with a dedicated desktop amp added to the mix! That will have to wait till the new year.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 4, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #44 of 2,575
Hey everyone=]
I'm in the first 15 minutes of owning the DT150's, and I can say, I'm impressed! Highlyy speaker-like, well at least to my ears. The highs are kinda spikey, but I guess I've come to expect that from having owned the dt770, 880, and DTX 900(thanks to the Lord for that). The mids are forward with the music I've tried so far, and the bass reminds me a lot of the DT770's subwoofery tone, while still retaining plenty detail. Forceful, yet hi-fi. But man, once again, it's the soundstage that I'm enjoying so much! Along with the earpads that disappear from my head, the music just seems to envelop me, instead of everything else that might deter me from delving into the sonic experience. It's Excellent! This headphone is VERY worth the price I paid for $150. I'll give it some more time to decide if it's worth the going price of $200~

Back to music listening for me!

P.S., from my fading memories of the Dt880's, I say the DT150 is better in soundstage naturalness. I can't realllly tell at this point, because it's been such a long time since I've owned the former cans. But the DT150's soundstage is awesome!

P.S.S, Thanks to Funnelchest for the great deal on these headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back