B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread
Jul 14, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #1,187 of 1,671
I owned the H9i for about a month or so. I really loved the comfort and design but found several issues which ultimately caused me to sell them:

- Sound quality was very inconsistent, particularly over Bluetooth. Some tracks would be pleasant while others would be unbearably sharp. This was slightly better over USB, but I could definitely notice which audio interface I was running over when my music would start to become too fatiguing ("ouch, I guess my laptop decided to go with Bluetooth this time")

- Distortion was a major issue over all connection types.

- Overall felt like there wasn't much in terms of dynamics for me. These just seemed like they were trying to impress with how obnoxious they could make cymbal crashes and female vocals sound. Ear shatteringly bright for my taste.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to where to turn for decent portable/office headphones. I also tried the B&W PX, sounded great but hurt my jaw when wearing for more than 15 minutes. As well as the Bose QC35 II, which sounded flat/boring and felt really cheaply made. I'll be trying my luck with the BeoPlay H6 or Campfire Cascade next.

To give you a better idea of my audio preferences: I'm currently really enjoying listening to the ZMF Eikon and UE 18+ Pro

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #1,188 of 1,671
Crossfade 2 Wireless. Running that with Apple Music over AAC and it's the best wireless experience I've ever had by far.

Jul 14, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #1,190 of 1,671
The new Codex edition of the VModa supports AAC, that's why I use Apple Music now. The PX also uses AAC.

To me, the PX has a more "open" sound by a pretty wide margin, but less meaty and dynamic. The V-Moda sounds more "headphone" like but the impact and dynamics were more pronounced. I couldn't pick a winner based on sound alone. HOWEVER, the PX had such terrible fit issues for me that they were unusable. Even just turning my head would break the seal. For all the talk of the PX having a tight clamp, the ridiculously thin pads don't really "squish" to the head, more like they're a small layer wrapped around a metal ring. I loved them, but it was like every small movement had a big effect on the sound and it turned into a case where if I didn't just sit in one place unmoving I couldn't use them. Lord help you if you wanted to throw on a set of sunglasses and wear them (which is kind of a thing for a mobile product).

Jul 18, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #1,191 of 1,671
I agree completely with what many are saying. The PX’s sound the best but who cares if you would walk on hot coals rather than put them on your head! The H9i’s are all around strong.

Jul 18, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #1,192 of 1,671
I agree completely with what many are saying. The PX’s sound the best but who cares if you would walk on hot coals rather than put them on your head! The H9i’s are all around strong.
I really don't agree. :) For some music maybe. But H9i´s sounds good on all music for me (after tweeking the sound in the app). In some cases, and with some music, the PX sounds REALLY strange. Especially in many cases when it comes to rock and metal.

Jul 18, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #1,193 of 1,671
Sound is subjective so we'll be here all day arguing if you really want to get into it, however I think what we can all agree on is that the PXes are the most uncomfortable cans out of the current crop of ANC flagships. Seems like B&W just completely ignored comfort as a design criteria, which is unfortunate.

Jul 20, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #1,194 of 1,671
So I'm noticing a super faint ringing in the noise floor of my headphones. It starts when I press play on music, and continues if I pause. It stops after a minute or so after when I guess the headphone sleeps? Does anyone else notice this? It's different from the transmitter whining when searching for a pair.

Jul 20, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #1,196 of 1,671
So I'm noticing a super faint ringing in the noise floor of my headphones. It starts when I press play on music, and continues if I pause. It stops after a minute or so after when I guess the headphone sleeps? Does anyone else notice this? It's different from the transmitter whining when searching for a pair.

Also this is when noise cancelling is off

Jul 20, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #1,199 of 1,671
No resolution so far. And yes I know you mean without NC. It also goes in and out when you have a charger connected while listening.

This problem is because B&O did not insulate the wires enough.

Ugh. Well, thank you for responding. This is so annoying, I want to love these headphones. It just seems like they were half-baked...

Jul 20, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #1,200 of 1,671
Ugh. Well, thank you for responding. This is so annoying, I want to love these headphones. It just seems like they were half-baked...
I exchanged my Bose headsets 10+ times (500 miles driving in total back and forth to the store)

The Sony wh1000xm2 has horrendous cracking issues

The Bowers and Wilkins has zero comfort and seal

Any other headset has bar minimum noise cancelling.

My friend, As far as I’m concerned these are the best noise cancelling headphones in the industry at the current moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back