Avantone : Pro Planar
Dec 12, 2020 at 5:16 AM Post #541 of 1,500
God damn!!!! What is this?

The Sundaras have QC issues (which i ordered yesterday together with a pair of 660s).

Now someone recommended me these, and i read all these negative things about it... I wan't to hear music with a pair of headphones, not babying or nursing them all the time :sweat:

I think i'm gonna send the Sundaras back without testing them and just test the Sennheiser line. At least i know how they're build

Dec 13, 2020 at 12:01 AM Post #542 of 1,500
God damn!!!! What is this?

The Sundaras have QC issues (which i ordered yesterday together with a pair of 660s).

Now someone recommended me these, and i read all these negative things about it... I wan't to hear music with a pair of headphones, not babying or nursing them all the time :sweat:

I think i'm gonna send the Sundaras back without testing them and just test the Sennheiser line. At least i know how they're build

Don't get too excited about some bad comments. I have had my Sundara's for six months and they are still perfect.

Dec 13, 2020 at 10:54 PM Post #544 of 1,500
Mine are fairly new but seem pretty solid to me. At this point I am not worried at all. Plus I'm really enjoying their sound.
I havent had any issues at all for a while now. Yes I take care of them as should be done with any headphone. But I don't see anywhere failing. Don't even have a scratch on them yet. Would you be able to check the screws under the earpads and see if they are tightened?

Dec 16, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #546 of 1,500
I just got my pair today. First thing I did was try my balanced xlr cable with the same 3.5 terminations that the stock cable had but I was only getting sound from one ear cup.
Anyone know why?

Dec 16, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #548 of 1,500
What screws are you guys talking about?
Remove the pads and you’ll see the screws. I don’t recommend screwing any of them other than the corner ones but in order to do that you need to remove the entire driver from its enclosure. I don’t recommend doing that either if you’re clumsy.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #549 of 1,500
I just got my pair today. First thing I did was try my balanced xlr cable with the same 3.5 terminations that the stock cable had but I was only getting sound from one ear cup.
Anyone know why?
Because both ear cups share L R and Ground signal. You can see the cable between the ear cups on the headband. There is no balanced connection out of the box. You need to do some modding stuff. I don't think these Planars require a balanced connection.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #550 of 1,500
Last edited:
Dec 17, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #551 of 1,500
Thanks, I read in an earlier post that balanced cables could be used.
(266) Avantone Pro Planer | Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org (head-fi.org)
Yes that was me. But I then reposted and said issues started coming up and confirmed the Planar does not benefit from going balanced. I was using a Cardas Parsec cable and it worked a bit but then one side started cutting out. I'll delete that post. If you can pump at least 500mw or more into the Planar they should be driven to their full potential though with no problem. Avantone recs 250mw and up us enough to drive the Planar but I say double. So 500mw is perfect.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2020 at 1:19 AM Post #552 of 1,500
@Bob Ley How does your Planar sound like? Does it have a big soundstage, linear low end, great smooth mids and treble with good extension but on the more neutral side? My Planar sounds similar to a Hifiman Arya and Ananda but much more neutral. A few other people have agreed it sounds similar to those headphones in presentation, speed, detail and soundstage while being more neutral. And judging by the driver size of the Planar when compared to the Ananda and Arya, they are very similar.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2020 at 1:30 AM Post #553 of 1,500
Yes that was me. But I then reposted and said issues started coming up and confirmed the Planar does not benefit from going balanced. I was using a Cardas Parsec cable and it worked a bit but then one side started cutting out. I'll delete that post. If you can pump at least 500mw or more into the Planar they should be driven to their full potential though with no problem. Avantone recs 250mw and up us enough to drive the Planar but I say double. So 500mw is perfect.

How do I know how many mw I am pushing into the headphones?

Dec 17, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #555 of 1,500

Users who are viewing this thread

Back