Auris Nirvana EL34 Amp in the house!
May 8, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #1,006 of 1,048
Still stock tubes. Studio balanced EQ sounds not so good, regardless of adjustments, through the Nirvana. EQ shines however with Mini. Verified with 2 back and forths to be sure. We’ll see over time how tube rolling affects. However I just don’t think there’s EQ and Nirvana synergy because the Nirvana clearly beat the Mini with stock tubes with EQ completely removed. Interesting.

May 9, 2024 at 9:38 AM Post #1,007 of 1,048
Sajid I can say the Nirvana is special. I find the synergy with the Utopias exceptional. I think the sound with the Abyss needs a little description... the music you listen too being the factor that influences the outcome. As you know the 1266 with rock, electronic, or even classical can be magical with solid state. But for longer listening times the Nirvana “tames” the Abyss beautifully, resulting is less fatigue… and sometimes a bit more toe tapping. But what really goes well with the Nirvana/1266 combo is guitar, vocals, most jazz. To my ears that just goes to that special place… the power of the Nirvana is more than adequate for the Abyss. I bought the Nirvana to try it for a while but it is staying, my preferred amp for most listening. By comparison, the Abyss using the tt2‘s amp is thin, less musical, and much less engaging. Bass is just in a different place and that much better with the Auris. Solid state amps that shine with the abyss include the Sparkos Aries… hard to beat.

I can say don’t rate the Nirvana with stock tubes. Neil at the valve store in Melbourne, Australia, recommended a GE long plate 8514 input tube, an ex US military tube from the 1970s - it has been a spectacular upgrade. Sparkle and extension to the upper treble, and control and depth to the bass - it was significant 15-20 percent better to my ears. Sadly the price of these has gone up over the last months… I also added Sophia EL34 tubes for the power tube replacement and it gave an additional 3-5 percent improvement, mainly in the bass clarity, although much less noticeable than the input tube improvement.

love to hear how you go,

Tony
Am seeing 8514 and 5814 tube. Typo or they’re different?

May 9, 2024 at 12:03 PM Post #1,008 of 1,048
Am getting my Nirvana 4 today. Very exciting! Can someone point me to a link to purchase some NOS EL34’s? To roll from stock?
Thanks. Already got some TELEFUNKEN ECC82’s
If you want to roll EL34, I recommend you to try Sophia electric EL34, they're current production, sounds pretty good and wont break the bank:ksc75smile:

May 9, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #1,009 of 1,048
Am seeing 8514 and 5814 tube. Typo or they’re different?

Different tube

You need the 5814 (can have an extra letter or two number code)

May 10, 2024 at 7:18 AM Post #1,010 of 1,048
Is there a new production driver tube that people here know sounds good? Like psvane art? Or another? I’m afraid of knock offs, used going bad quickly etc. oh I have the Sophia EL34s coming today.

May 10, 2024 at 7:21 AM Post #1,011 of 1,048
Other than Art, any 5814a new production tubes that are good? And what about Sophia ecc82 tube? Is good?

May 10, 2024 at 12:06 PM Post #1,012 of 1,048
Ok. Serious incident. I rolled in my Telefunken smooth plate diamond mark platinum driver tube with the stock jj el34s. Played music for a short minute or two. Started to hear loud hissing right channel which sort of came to a head as I quickly shut down amp. It was not subtle. Definitely tube failure. Only right channel. Which tube? I pulled all 3 and rolled in 3 Telefunkens. Working fine now. Do I never use those 3 tubes again? Don’t know which was problem. Any advice appreciated!😊

May 10, 2024 at 1:45 PM Post #1,013 of 1,048
Other than Art, any 5814a new production tubes that are good? And what about Sophia ecc82 tube? Is good?
I wanna know about the sophia 12au7 too, therefore I will get myself one next time I shop for another pair of el34:beerchug:

May 10, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #1,014 of 1,048
Ok. Serious incident. I rolled in my Telefunken smooth plate diamond mark platinum driver tube with the stock jj el34s. Played music for a short minute or two. Started to hear loud hissing right channel which sort of came to a head as I quickly shut down amp. It was not subtle. Definitely tube failure. Only right channel. Which tube? I pulled all 3 and rolled in 3 Telefunkens. Working fine now. Do I never use those 3 tubes again? Don’t know which was problem. Any advice appreciated!😊
Use the same 3 tubes and try to swap the el34 from left to right see if the hiss follow, if not, may be the 12au7 is failing.

May 10, 2024 at 3:13 PM Post #1,015 of 1,048
I have two more topics to comment on:
1. The equalizer somehow sounds much better in the path now than it did before. I don’t know how to explain that. Amp burn in? Biasing? Psycho acoustics? Anyway, it’s good now. Happy there.
2. The input tube went bad. JJ el34’s are fine. I have the other Telefunken input tube in, working well. So I have the Sophia EL34s already. I have done rolls between stock JJ, Sophia, and my Telefunken el34s. Yes, JJ are easily worse, lacking dynamics inferior mids and treble. Between the Sophia and TF is close. Like both. TF more mass punch. Wetter lusher mids. Both by a hair. Treble on both are similar, with the Sophia the slightly smoother presentation. Really, I like both.
Thanks

May 11, 2024 at 12:03 PM Post #1,016 of 1,048
Am listening right now to Peter Gabriel latest release I/O with my Telefunken diamond smooth plate 12au7 and my Telefunken EL34’s rolled in. I am running balanced source Matrix X Sabre 3 into professional mastering equalizer (balanced) into the Nirvana. Cabling is Cardas Clear Sky XLR. From there it’s balanced out (4 pin) to HEKse. I know this album well, and it’s very well recorded I am EQd with less bass and ever so slightly more treble (not much though) compared to where I’d set it with the GSX Mini.
Now to the sound. It’s dead silent black background. Just as without the equalizer. The sound is SPECTACULAR. When the symphonic aspects of the mix are layered in to the mix (and layering and stage are deep, wide, amazing), it’s quite simply breathtaking. Nirvana gives the most incredible weight to music, particularly symphony but all genres of music really, that my solid state amp could never muster. Play the track “Love Can Heal”. If it doesn’t damn near move you to tears hearing it this way then nothing will. I’ve never ever heard hi fi be it loudspeakers or headphones to sound so immersive, saturated, rich, smooth, WIDE OPEN, yet utterly detailed and realistic. Every extra sound, be it a breath, a foot pedal, a gentle slide across a fret, even lips unsticking as mouth opens, is all exposed but so utterly natural sounding without a hint of glare or etch. What I’m hearing honest to God above wouldn’t sound any better if the band were sitting in front of me in the studio playing. I know it. The high end manner I’m implementing the tonal adjustments leaves the bass mids treble unscathed in resolution and indeed perfectly connected without any region of the FR standing out more than it should. I’ve gotten similar thrill playing this album through the HeadAmp GSXM, but this takes it to a whole other level. It’s so good I refuse to believe this album could sound any better on any other system. It’s that good. With good tubes Nirvana is a fabulous amp.
And by the way, I actually LIKE the all black modern new look😊
Quick comment on the equalizer (in case you haven’t figured it out by the above). It synergizes perfectly with this amp as long as good tubes are rolled in. My stock JJ tubes were in the first time I played with the EQ. As any good studio EQ will do it ruthlessly lays bare the SQ or flaws of the gear before and after it. Like a magnifying glass. The results with Telefunken over JJ are crystal clear with or without my EQ.
Well, this listening session has been a true Revelation and has got me on Cloud 9!😊🎶🎧
Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• IMG_4870.jpeg
    IMG_4870.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
May 11, 2024 at 3:11 PM Post #1,017 of 1,048
Am listening right now to Peter Gabriel latest release I/O with my Telefunken diamond smooth plate 12au7 and my Telefunken EL34’s rolled in. I am running balanced source Matrix X Sabre 3 into professional mastering equalizer (balanced) into the Nirvana. Cabling is Cardas Clear Sky XLR. From there it’s balanced out (4 pin) to HEKse. I know this album well, and it’s very well recorded I am EQd with less bass and ever so slightly more treble (not much though) compared to where I’d set it with the GSX Mini.
Now to the sound. It’s dead silent black background. Just as without the equalizer. The sound is SPECTACULAR. When the symphonic aspects of the mix are layered in to the mix (and layering and stage are deep, wide, amazing), it’s quite simply breathtaking. Nirvana gives the most incredible weight to music, particularly symphony but all genres of music really, that my solid state amp could never muster. Play the track “Love Can Heal”. If it doesn’t damn near move you to tears hearing it this way then nothing will. I’ve never ever heard hi fi be it loudspeakers or headphones to sound so immersive, saturated, rich, smooth, WIDE OPEN, yet utterly detailed and realistic. Every extra sound, be it a breath, a foot pedal, a gentle slide across a fret, even lips unsticking as mouth opens, is all exposed but so utterly natural sounding without a hint of glare or etch. What I’m hearing honest to God above wouldn’t sound any better if the band were sitting in front of me in the studio playing. I know it. The high end manner I’m implementing the tonal adjustments leaves the bass mids treble unscathed in resolution and indeed perfectly connected without any region of the FR standing out more than it should. I’ve gotten similar thrill playing this album through the HeadAmp GSXM, but this takes it to a whole other level. It’s so good I refuse to believe this album could sound any better on any other system. It’s that good. With good tubes Nirvana is a fabulous amp.
And by the way, I actually LIKE the all black modern new look😊
Quick comment on the equalizer (in case you haven’t figured it out by the above). It synergizes perfectly with this amp as long as good tubes are rolled in. My stock JJ tubes were in the first time I played with the EQ. As any good studio EQ will do it ruthlessly lays bare the SQ or flaws of the gear before and after it. Like a magnifying glass. The results with Telefunken over JJ are crystal clear with or without my EQ.
Well, this listening session has been a true Revelation and has got me on Cloud 9!😊🎶🎧
Thanks for reading!
Thats cool! The Nirvana is a very nice amp indeed, been using it for 2 years, no complain.

May 11, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #1,018 of 1,048
Last week I got a couple of extra Mullard M8136 tubes (1960s). It's my favorite tube for the AIC10 so I got some extras for long-term backup, and tested them with the Nirvana when they arrived just to see they are good. I was so blown away by the sound of htis tube in the Nirvana, is now rolled in (instead of the Siemens 5814A which is my normal roll). Very sweet and warm sound, and great synergy with the XF2 output tubes. Enjoying this mostly with the AKWG and L5000 but will try other headphones later. Any event, highly recommended!
@goldwerger , Do you still like the Mullard M8136 better than Siemens 5814A? What are their sonic differences? Oh, is one brighter than the other? Am wanting a little more sparkle up top for some albums. Just a tad more. Had that Peter Gabriel album perfect though.

May 11, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #1,019 of 1,048
Am wanting a little more sparkle up top for some albums. Just a tad more.

Right now the M8136 is in as it's new (I tend to let a new tube sit in for a few weeks as I get to know its flavor).

For your purpose, go with the Simerns 5814A. The Mullard is a bit more sweet and lush and the Siemens is a bit more clear and open -- it's what you're looking for (and it's awesome, espeically paired with warm output tubes like the XF2 in my case)

May 11, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #1,020 of 1,048
Right now the M8136 is in as it's new (I tend to let a new tube sit in for a few weeks as I get to know its flavor).

For your purpose, go with the Simerns 5814A. The Mullard is a bit more sweet and lush and the Siemens is a bit more clear and open -- it's what you're looking for (and it's awesome, espeically paired with warm output tubes like the XF2 in my case)
Awesome. Thanks so much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back