Aune S9C vs X8 with op-amp upgrade, advice on a new setup
May 10, 2024 at 1:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

HiFiFNG

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I’m in the market for a new rig for a second desktop setup in another location. I’m wondering if anyone can share some comparisons between Aune S9c Pro and Aune X8 Magic DAC XVIII with op amp upgrade? Understood i would have to get a separate amp if i went the X8 option whereas the S9c is all in one.

What I’m after is precise and wide soundstaging and holographic presentation, if I had to prioritize over anything else.

I keep reading good stuff about the Aune X8 XVIII edition with Sparkos or Burson upgrade (there are several options between both manufacturers) especially paired with a tube amp (see below)

What I’m wondering is which option has a more spacious and layered soundstage with more holographic presentation? Depth would be great if it’s there.

I’m also willing to consider other options. The S9c seems good because it’s a one and done box solution and I’m seeing very positive reviews.

My headphones are currently 660s2 and 6xx.

I’m currently using an XDUOO TA-22 with stock tubes. I do have a TA-84 on the way from Drop (thanks to fidgeraldo for the suggestion!) so that potentially could work with the X8 but I need to look and see if it works with an external DAC.

Also wondering if I should consider investing in a pair of planars as I understand they potentially provide a better sense of space and width, of course depending on amp/dac pairing. Any particular recommendations there?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back