Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Jul 14, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #2,761 of 2,803
There is a picture either in here or in the MSR7b thread that goes somewhat in depth for exactly that comparison. In my opinion, they don't compare. Completely different things. The only things they have in common is their rough shape and size and the fact that they're closed back portable headphones. On one hand you have the arguably more balanced MSR7b with thumpy but controlled and balanced low end, somewhat prevalent mids and bright-ish sound, with extremely good details and somewhat wide soundstage (wide by closed back standards). On the other hand you have the darker, more laid back MDR-1AM2, with extremely strong but somewhat overpowering low end, distant mids, somewhat accentuated highs (very pronounced V-shape sound signature, leaning towards the dark side) and rather narrow sound stage (others talk about depth to the sound, but that wasn't my impression from my very limited time with it). So it really depends on what you want and on what kind of music you listen to. I think that the MSR7b is the better headphone, to be honest, and that's before I messed with it. Once modded, there's no comparison if I'm honest, they aren't even in the same ballpark any more.
then I keep the MSR7b, I would like to find other similar headphones but there are no alternative.

Jul 14, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #2,762 of 2,803
Great headphone! I primarily used them for a hirez setup. But I have to say these sound great on my analog setup too. Just the right bass, mids and highs prob extend a tiny bit more than I would like.

Jul 14, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #2,763 of 2,803
I like the msr7, its my in office headphone at the moment, not so good for walking with though as it is a bit "creaky".

No need to change anything, but I did bend the headband a little bit (its metal inside, so difficult to break) to get it to fit more comfortably.
silicone lube will fix that creak.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #2,764 of 2,803
Well, this is rather unbelievable... my beloved MSR7 stopped working after being used exclusively at home (have never taken them out) for no apparent reason.

The right channel has no sound whatsoever now, the morning I picked them up, the right channel simply does not work any longer. Tried different cables and sources, same result.

I wonder why this happens, if it can be repaired... Any input appreciated.

Aug 17, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #2,765 of 2,803
Well, this is rather unbelievable... my beloved MSR7 stopped working after being used exclusively at home (have never taken them out) for no apparent reason.

The right channel has no sound whatsoever now, the morning I picked them up, the right channel simply does not work any longer. Tried different cables and sources, same result.

I wonder why this happens, if it can be repaired... Any input appreciated.
Take apart the speaker and check to see if the wires are crossed. I remember when I was trying some mods, I put it back together and the speaker would t work. Not sure why that would havpoen to you but worth a shot. Come to find out the wires are bare and even though I was careful to be sure they were not crossed, that still did.

If that does t work maybe it’s just dead or a poor solder ?

Aug 17, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #2,766 of 2,803
Take apart the speaker and check to see if the wires are crossed. I remember when I was trying some mods, I put it back together and the speaker would t work. Not sure why that would havpoen to you but worth a shot. Come to find out the wires are bare and even though I was careful to be sure they were not crossed, that still did.

If that does t work maybe it’s just dead or a poor solder ?
Well, I will not touch the headphones until I see what happens with the dealer response.

Sorely disappointed, as I hold these in very high regard, in terms of sound quality, which is all that matters (and the look of the Gun Metal model as well).

It is rather unbelievable that this problem has been pointed out earlier (I remember reading somewhere about the same issue, not only on the Audio Technicas) - seems like the QC and the quality of parts has degraded severely over the years, with many manufacturers.

Incredibly well sounding headphone, sadly let down by the quality issues. Suffice to say, I would prefer them repaired, with good explanation why this happened and what happened within the headphone, from the Audio Technica.

Aug 17, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #2,767 of 2,803
Well, I will not touch the headphones until I see what happens with the dealer response.

Sorely disappointed, as I hold these in very high regard, in terms of sound quality, which is all that matters (and the look of the Gun Metal model as well).

It is rather unbelievable that this problem has been pointed out earlier (I remember reading somewhere about the same issue, not only on the Audio Technicas) - seems like the QC and the quality of parts has degraded severely over the years, with many manufacturers.

Incredibly well sounding headphone, sadly let down by the quality issues. Suffice to say, I would prefer them repaired, with good explanation why this happened and what happened within the headphone, from the Audio Technica.

That's a letdown, no doubt. Strange because I have had the complete opposite experience, with AT headphones. Audio Technica is one of the brands, known for good build quality, in general, I would say. The one's in my possession, (circa ~2012-2019), have been superb. My pair of ATH-A900X, bought 8 years ago, used from Ebay for $100, are still in great shape. No failures at all, and they have been used often. They have been dropped several times, (from over 5 feet). The cord is attached to the driver, and it has been yanked, strongly, several times, when I get up, move around, and forget they are on my head, lol. I only changed the pads a couple times. Well, they are a vaunted, JDM, (aka MIJ aka "Made in Japan") model.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #2,768 of 2,803
That's a letdown, no doubt. Strange because I have had the complete opposite experience, with AT headphones. Audio Technica is one of the brands, known for good build quality, in general, I would say. The one's in my possession, (circa ~2012-2019), have been superb. My pair of ATH-A900X, bought 8 years ago, used from Ebay for $100, are still in great shape. No failures at all, and they have been used often. They have been dropped several times, (from over 5 feet). The cord is attached to the driver, and it has been yanked, strongly, several times, when I get up, move around, and forget they are on my head, lol. I only changed the pads a couple times. Well, they are a vaunted, JDM, (aka MIJ aka "Made in Japan") model.
I would tend to think that we talk about (sadly) two different animals here, in terms of production and internals of the headphone.
I had my K702 (AKG) and K701 for some time now, never any problems... same type of headphone as the A900X.

I presume that ATH MSR7 does use the PCB of some kind internally, as was the case with the Denon AH MM400 (too dark sounding) that was slightly defective - as the demoex at the shop where I tried them, out of their source equipment.

I would love the manufacturer to dissect these and diagnose what exact has happened. Incredible sounding headphones, striking well above their price.

Aug 17, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #2,769 of 2,803
I would tend to think that we talk about (sadly) two different animals here, in terms of production and internals of the headphone.
I had my K702 (AKG) and K701 for some time now, never any problems... same type of headphone as the A900X.

I presume that ATH MSR7 does use the PCB of some kind internally, as was the case with the Denon AH MM400 (too dark sounding) that was slightly defective - as the demoex at the shop where I tried them, out of their source equipment.

I would love the manufacturer to dissect these and diagnose what exact has happened. Incredible sounding headphones, striking well above their price.

That is interesting, I also own an original MSR7. The build quality is not on the level of the ATH-A900X, but it is still good, imho. The MSR7 generates more creaks, and it is made in China, versus Japan. Yet factories in China can make products with excellent build quality. Although Chinese factories have a certain "stereotype", about them, (not all true, by far). I was not aware that people have experienced failures, with the MSR7. These are solid headphones, in my view. There are definitely counterfeit, MSR7's, that are floating about the market. You could have a fake one.

When you mention pcb's, in the MSR7, yes it is true, I believe there is a pcb inside the headphone. This can open a whole different realm, of headphone failure. If you use these in a hot environment, for many hours, that can stress the system. "Heat is the enemy of electronics", my Physics professor said. Also if the pcb gets wet, or if a drink spills on the headphones, etc.

I agree that the MSR7 sounds amazing. I love the lightning-quick imaging, that the headphone has, in the higher frequencies. The bass is tight, controlled, and has a good presence. Good mids, good timbre, decent enough soundstage, etc, etc, they are a classic, imho.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #2,770 of 2,803
These are solid headphones, in my view. There are definitely counterfeit, MSR7's, that are floating about the market. You could have a fake one.

I agree that the MSR7 sounds amazing. I love the lightning-quick imaging, that the headphone has, in the higher frequencies. The bass is tight, controlled, and has a good presence. Good mids, good timbre, decent enough soundstage, etc, etc, they are a classic, imho.
Well, these are purchased from the authorised dealer, serial nr. is there, the proof of purchase, etc. , so no risk whatsoever that this could ever be a fake.

I agree with the rest (the other excerpt) of the post. These - to me - are quite unique in their sound quality, easily better than many other more renowned headphones, and reward the right source(s) as well. The looks of the GM model are gorgeous, really.

I am on the fence of ordering the MSR 7B (balanced, later version), as I have read on several places that the original MSR7 (now sadly discontinued) are more stable sonically, more detailed, and more stable as a load.

Aug 19, 2021 at 7:40 AM Post #2,771 of 2,803
Interesting development: Here is the reply from the retailer:

"We are really sorry for the problem with your headphones.

Since you wish to issue a complaint about the product outside of the warranty period, it is up to you as a customer to prove that the fault with the product depends on defect in manufacturing / or the design.
An example of such proof is the report from the authorised repair shop.
We will cover the fee for the examination of the headphones (by that shop), that is in case the shop can prove the error of the above mentioned kind.

If you cannot find the suitable repair shop, we can help you taking in the product (headphones) for further processing.
If the complaint is refuted - refused you will be charged the p&p expenses and the cost of the examination of the phones, (49€).

"

So, nice to sit here with a dud, after all this time, spent with rather sparingly used headphones...

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #2,772 of 2,803
Interesting development: Here is the reply from the retailer:

"We are really sorry for the problem with your headphones.

Since you wish to issue a complaint about the product outside of the warranty period, it is up to you as a customer to prove that the fault with the product depends on defect in manufacturing / or the design.
An example of such proof is the report from the authorised repair shop.
We will cover the fee for the examination of the headphones (by that shop), that is in case the shop can prove the error of the above mentioned kind.

If you cannot find the suitable repair shop, we can help you taking in the product (headphones) for further processing.
If the complaint is refuted - refused you will be charged the p&p expenses and the cost of the examination of the phones, (49€).

"

So, nice to sit here with a dud, after all this time, spent with rather sparingly used headphones...

A pity that the warranty is not longer for your headphones. But outside the warranty period that’s sort of expected I would say. The retailer cannot cover up for faults endlessly.

Still hoping for you that you can find a good repair shop where you can get them fixed for a reasonable price.

Aug 19, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #2,773 of 2,803
Take that side driver apart and make sure wires aren’t crossed.

Aug 19, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #2,774 of 2,803
Well, these are purchased from the authorised dealer, serial nr. is there, the proof of purchase, etc. , so no risk whatsoever that this could ever be a fake.

I agree with the rest (the other excerpt) of the post. These - to me - are quite unique in their sound quality, easily better than many other more renowned headphones, and reward the right source(s) as well. The looks of the GM model are gorgeous, really.

I am on the fence of ordering the MSR 7B (balanced, later version), as I have read on several places that the original MSR7 (now sadly discontinued) are more stable sonically, more detailed, and more stable as a load.

Cool, so they are authentic MSR7's, 100%. That is good to know, I was worried about buying a fake. Because I like to buy used headphones, on Ebay. (Mine turned out to be authentic, after some investigation of the pictures, and other physical cues).

I agree they look very good, in either color. One can tell they are metal, just from looking on the outside, they look solid, with a nice shape. Mine are black, (got a good deal on them, the color didn't matter too much). I agree the gunmetal cups look better, compared to the black, which have a slight, "Sony Playstation" theme goin on, lol. That gunmetal, with the subtle, red accents, is a stunning design. It's all good though, they both look great.

The "right sources", yes, very important. The MSR7 does very well with tube amps, or amps that push the sound signature in an equal way, not amplifying brightness too much, imho.

I too was interested in the MSR7b. Apparently, the comfort was improved. The headband is more plush, the ergonomics were improved for the human head, and the pads were improved. Making them more comfy, for 1 hour+ listening. Also, the sound was changed. Compared to the original, the soundstage was widened, giving them more depth. The bass was also increased. Yet, the originals, have that impressive, high-mid, and treble quality. That definitive, quick imaging, and great detail. The MSR7b toned down, that quality of the original. Also, the bass enhancement, may not have been a true improvement, if the bass became more "bloated". Keep in mind, I have not personally heard the MSR7b, but read several reviews of it. Hence my interest was in the original, no doubt.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #2,775 of 2,803
Cool, so they are authentic MSR7's, 100%. That is good to know, I was worried about buying a fake. Because I like to buy used headphones, on Ebay. (Mine turned out to be authentic, after some investigation of the pictures, and other physical cues).

I agree they look very good, in either color. One can tell they are metal, just from looking on the outside, they look solid, with a nice shape. Mine are black, (got a good deal on them, the color didn't matter too much). I agree the gunmetal cups look better, compared to the black, which have a slight, "Sony Playstation" theme goin on, lol. That gunmetal, with the subtle, red accents, is a stunning design. It's all good though, they both look great.

The "right sources", yes, very important. The MSR7 does very well with tube amps, or amps that push the sound signature in an equal way, not amplifying brightness too much, imho.

I too was interested in the MSR7b. Apparently, the comfort was improved. The headband is more plush, the ergonomics were improved for the human head, and the pads were improved. Making them more comfy, for 1 hour+ listening. Also, the sound was changed. Compared to the original, the soundstage was widened, giving them more depth. The bass was also increased. Yet, the originals, have that impressive, high-mid, and treble quality. That definitive, quick imaging, and great detail. The MSR7b toned down, that quality of the original. Also, the bass enhancement, may not have been a true improvement, if the bass became more "bloated". Keep in mind, I have not personally heard the MSR7b, but read several reviews of it. Hence my interest was in the original, no doubt.
I agree with all of your assessments.

I have earlier posted (in this thread) one comparative review of both MSR7 and MSR7b (written by one Amazon customer).
Granted, sound is subjective, and some may prefer the other over the first one, but... my sound preferences with this particular headphone are exactly those strengths you mention, found in MSR7.

A bit unsure about the MSR7b, I would need some time to evaluate them and compare, in order to see...

This failure on one channel seems not to be uncommon at all with the MSR7, so we'll see what happens...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back