Audio-gd DI24/DI24HE
May 23, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #511 of 519
Would a Fiber Optic HDMI cable work with the DI-24? If not- why not? It weither transfers the signal- or does not. WOrls for network cabke and usb- all in digital domain so should work here also.

Is not optical the lowest noise lowest distortion option?
Q. Do fiber module (1) act as a repeater according to the HDMI protocol or (2) transmit logic transitions while not interpreting protocol? I don't know. Case:

1. It won't work, as I2S is not HDMI, just use the same cable/connectors.

2. It might work with 10Gbps fiber, but it will add jitter and modulation noise. I wouldn't bother.

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #512 of 519
Q. Do fiber module (1) act as a repeater according to the HDMI protocol or (2) transmit logic transitions while not interpreting protocol? I don't know. Case:

1. It won't work, as I2S is not HDMI, just use the same cable/connectors.

2. It might work with 10Gbps fiber, but it will add jitter and modulation noise. I wouldn't bother.
THis is what I understood. I2s is not HDMI; and HDMI optical does not support i2s. HDMI non optical does support I2s.

I wonder why someone doesnt make an optical HDMI that supports i2s?

May 23, 2024 at 2:29 PM Post #513 of 519
I was referring more to the 768kHz that was all. I've had enough of all this anyway getting I2S to work as I want.
Your original problem was of not being able to play anything faster than DSD128 with HQPlayer on some Linux source. Once you have learnt with examples it is possible, you are trying to bring things you don't understand and should not be your concern.

You are trolling, people are not interested whether you had enough. Get better music, you can relax with. Here is how your original problem looks like:
Sorry for all the questions just struggling to get HDMI-IIS to output any higher than DSD128.

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 2:37 PM Post #515 of 519
Your original problem was of not being able to play anything faster than DSD128 with HQPlayer on some Linux source. Once you have learnt with examples it is possible, you are trying to bring things which should not be your concern.

You are trolling, people are not interested whether you had enough. Get better music, you can relax with. Here is how your original problem looks like:
768kHz is my concern as I would also like to play to the maximum sample rate of what the Dac is capable of using I2S which in Laiv Harmony Dac on I2S is 768kHz so clearly the bottle neck is the DI-24HE as I am only getting 384kHz.

May 23, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #516 of 519
Interesting explanation of the PCM & DSD rate limits of the DI-24HE thanks @sajunky . Clearly a complex area with some catches that are not that intuitively obvious to a new or prospective user like me with limited knowledge of OS/driver compatibility limitations.

As a matter of interest does the stated PCM limit of 384KHz also apply to Mac OS (which I use currently as HQP/Roon server) given its different USB drivers etc?

Actually does the DI-20HE have the same PCM & DSD USB protocols/limits as DI-24HE? If so I can test this myself whilst I still have the former on loan.

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #517 of 519
Interesting explanation of the PCM & DSD rate limits of the DI-24HE thanks @sajunky . Clearly a complex area with some catches that are not that intuitively obvious to a new or prospective user like me with limited knowledge of OS/driver compatibility limitations.

As a matter of interest does the stated PCM limit of 384KHz also apply to Mac OS (which I use currently as HQP/Roon server) given its different USB drivers etc?

Actually does the DI-20HE have the same PCM & DSD USB protocols/limits as DI-24HE? If so I can test this myself whilst I still have the former on loan.
PCM 384kHz limit is related to the Amanero I2S interface limit. It is not USB limit, not drivers, as DSD512 demonstrate it clearly. A weakest part impose restriction to the entire chain.

With DI-20 nothing you can do as Amanero interface is integrated with the motherboard. DI-24 is different. Now Amanero is back on the module (like in all DACs), user replaceable. Why Kingwa made such backward move? I was wondering why, now is clear. Simply because Amanero brings an upgraded version soon, it is expected to be released next month. It is called Combo768. I don't know when will be available for DI-24 (and DACs - which DAC?), as Kingwa has to produce an OEM version. Keep enquiring Audio GD by mail if it is important to you.

EDIT Re: The last question. You can flash Amanero firmware on both models. It is the same hardware. A downstream I2S link use the same maximum frequency.

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 3:35 PM Post #518 of 519
PCM 384kHz limit is related to the Amanero I2S interface limit. It is not USB limit, not drivers, as DSD512 demonstrate it clearly. A weakest part impose restriction to the entire chain.

With DI-20 nothing you can do as Amanero interface is integrated with the motherboard. DI-24 is different. Now Amanero is back on the module (like in all DACs), user replaceable. Why Kingwa made such backward move? I was wondering why, now is clear. Simply because Amanero brings an upgraded version soon, it is expected to be released next month. It is called Combo768. I don't know when will be available for DI-24 (and DACs - which DAC?), as Kingwa has to produce an OEM version. Keep enquiring Audio GD by mail if it is important to you.
I need this clearing as I'm getting lost with all these different Amanero versions. So to get the DI-24HE to output on I2S at 512DSD and PCM768 it would need Amanero Combo768?

May 23, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #519 of 519
I need this clearing as I'm getting lost with all these different Amanero versions. So to get the DI-24HE to output on I2S at 512DSD and PCM768 it would need Amanero Combo768?
For DSD512 you only need to flash firmware optimised for Linux. With no hardware upgrades.

For PCM 768kHz wait for an announcement of upgrading DI-24 with Amanero Combo768. I can't guarantee it will happen. Current restriction are specified on the website.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back