AKG's new K872?
Apr 5, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #16 of 642
It's back on the website. Now the waiting for reviews (like from Tyll) will begin. I doubt I will be able to get my hands on these headphones unless I order it online and then send it back within 14 days (which is not cool and not something that I will do).

Apr 5, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #17 of 642
It's back on the website. Now the waiting for reviews (like from Tyll) will begin.

You should wait for one, two month! Next time the production of the pre-series would begin.

I am not a AKG staff   
k701smile.gif

Apr 5, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #19 of 642

Regards from Austria

NOMAX

Apr 5, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #20 of 642
Apr 6, 2016 at 4:10 AM Post #22 of 642

@astroid 
K812 and K872 use the same mechanic base! I had seen them.

Please compare them self

http://www.akg.com/de/k812-professionelle-kopfhoerer
http://www.akg.com/de/p/k872

Apr 6, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #23 of 642
I really look forward to trying out the K872.  

I have the K812, and didn't like it initially, may be I got use to the sound of the K702 too much.  But once my ears got adjusted and after a bit of burning in, I really like the sound.  A very fun sounding pair of headphone.

The only concern I have is what is done to the sound stage after it was turned into closed back.  

Apr 6, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #25 of 642
Wow, 1.5 Tesla 53 mm drivers! I wonder if it will kick Fostex TH900's ass (50 mm 1.5 Tesla driver) in the bass department! I would sure hope so. A new basshead capable reference headphone would be amazing.

Apr 6, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #26 of 642
  Wow, 1.5 Tesla 53 mm drivers! I wonder if it will kick Fostex TH900's ass (50 mm 1.5 Tesla driver) in the bass department! I would sure hope so. A new basshead capable reference headphone would be amazing.

Need moar Teslas! 

Apr 6, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #27 of 642

AKG has never been about bloated bass and won't be this time either, I'm quite confident.

Apr 7, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #28 of 642

AKG has never been about bloated bass and won't be this time either, I'm quite confident.

True, AKG has always been more about tight and articulate bass, still holds true on their newer offerings despite having more bass emphasis. The K872 will probably be a bit darker, fuller, and warmer sounding than the K812 though.

Doubt it, the TH900 also has rubber surrounds on their drivers which is part of why they have so much bass slam.

Apr 7, 2016 at 2:20 AM Post #29 of 642

TH900 doesn't have bloated bass. It's tight, precise and accurate. Unless you EQ it, then it can turn into a bass monster because the driver is very capable. If you can't hear the bass properly while listening to a hiphop track (like with Q701) then it's not accurate bass but decreased bass. 

It says " Custom 53mm drivers with 1.5 Tesla magnet systems deliver exceptional headroom for precise imaging, deep low frequencies and extended dynamic range." in the product page so I'm hopeful.

Apr 7, 2016 at 5:26 AM Post #30 of 642
Yesterday was a nice day in Frankfurt :wink:

Yes, its still using the Lemo connector.

I was only able to hear it with their gear and music, so I can't say much about sound except that they seem to seal well, have very nice bass indeed, render voices nicely and without aggression. I think they lost that cloudy bit covering treble detail (the K812 does something I can't nail down, sounds a bit like ringing at a very high frequency, hiding some treble detail).

Pads are described as what I'd call memory foam and are very comfortable. Rest of the construction (headband, extension mechanism, cup size etc.) is the same as with the K812.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back