「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Oct 9, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #176,251 of 177,745
Haven't had a home internet connection for 18 days and it's still not resolved with TPG.

Signed up with a new ISP (Aussie Broadband), and this is no exaggeration, I was online after 15 minutes. (completely online set up process too so didn't even have to pick up a phone)

Now I don't even have to use the ISP's supplied modem, I can just plug my router into the NTD.

Ahhhhhhhh feels good to be online again.
45Ffuvw.gif

7KTSfHk.png

Maybe I'm using the wrong setup, this is with a Shure micro USB to Lightning cable.

On the upside, today I discovered that the Sennheiser PXC 550 can do Hi-Res 32-bit/192 kHz USB audio (via the headphones' built-in DAC) on Mac straight out of the box. Pretty neat!

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #176,252 of 177,745
Haven't had a home internet connection for 18 days and it's still not resolved with TPG.

Signed up with a new ISP (Aussie Broadband), and this is no exaggeration, I was online after 15 minutes. (completely online set up process too so didn't even have to pick up a phone)

Now I don't even have to use the ISP's supplied modem, I can just plug my router into the NTD.

Ahhhhhhhh feels good to be online again.

18 days no interweb...that's rough.

Glad you got everything back up.

Oct 11, 2018 at 3:35 AM Post #176,253 of 177,745
18 days no interweb...that's rough.

Glad you got everything back up.

It made me realise how much YouTube I watched, even if it's just playing in the background. I had to make do with 20GB of mobile data...lots of which got taken by random software updates and such. XD

Maybe it was a blessing in disguise though, switching ISP's is saving a bit of money.

I have a bit of a soft spot for Goblin Slayer this season because I play Priest/healers in MMO's. Maybe a bit too violent for my tastes but I hear the manga is even worse.

Oct 12, 2018 at 4:21 AM Post #176,254 of 177,745
It made me realise how much YouTube I watched, even if it's just playing in the background. I had to make do with 20GB of mobile data...lots of which got taken by random software updates and such. XD

Maybe it was a blessing in disguise though, switching ISP's is saving a bit of money.

I have a bit of a soft spot for Goblin Slayer this season because I play Priest/healers in MMO's. Maybe a bit too violent for my tastes but I hear the manga is even worse.

Meanwhile, I have a peasant 3 GB a month of data. ;-;

-----------

Got a new WiFi card for my old HP laptop, which I've converted into a HTPC controlled by my Steam Controller. Not good enough to stream games from my PC to my TV, but enough to watch videos online without interference. The old card only supports 2.4 GHz and this neighborhood has wayyy too much going on there.

I think my folks have an old WiFi router from an ISP that they no longer use. I might grab that next time I visit them and use it as an access point.

---------

I always play long range or stealthy classes. Because I'm too scared to face anything directly. XD

This dates back to a very old MMO my dad and I would play. If you are a long range class, as long as you step when the enemies step, you can never get hit and never have to deal with seeing health drop (aside from fighting bosses). Was always using my dad's account back then so I was super scared of dying and losing my dad's stuff. :p

Recently learnt that my dad still plays this game, after over 16 years.

---------

Slowly saving up for a Vive or a Vive Pro...

Got to try the Pro a few days ago and sadly the larger face mount for the original Vive is more comfortable with my glasses. I do like the mounting mechanism of the Pro though, as well as the weight distribution. Guess I'll need special prescription lens for the current gen gets. Waiting for Valve's Knuckles to come out before finally making a purchase.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #176,255 of 177,745
I should add that I don't consider Nightcore to be a proper (sub) genre of music. Fool me once...
I rescind that statement. Only some nightcore is fake.

Oct 14, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #176,256 of 177,745
Just finished the 8.4GB Code Geass Sound Collection lossless torrent through nyaa.si.... good voices and Super nice scans of everything! I am a sucker for the stuff.. Glad to use it from the Note4 and Stax 001.. Trying to watch recent anime.
Is there something like code Geass or Gundam 00 or Death Note? Going to try Steins Gate 0, but do not know what else. Been watching the first 15 eps' of Gundam iron blooded orphans because I did like 00 but I have been disappointed.
Was happy to see the Code Geass Oudou recently; The nostalgia. Are my standards just kind of too high for animes' or am I particularly dour?

The last time I watched a slapstick anime was Panty and Stocking in 2010 (I'm 23).

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #176,257 of 177,745
Enjoying all the Code Geass from the Note 4 and Stax 001. Will get the 003 mkii on Monday and look forward to trying it with the glofeedback modded 727 and BHSE.
Deadly Lover, would you (or others) be interested in potentially a split for much improved "drop in" electrodes for the 002/003mkii or any of the Stax iems?

We can, could use steel or even much more(z) better, Magnesium/Al alloy: the material thickness in the 001 is (a copper-sheet) .1625mm and the holes are .25mm wide, much smaller and more improved than the 003mkii/002. At around 1.15mm wide. I will know on Monday, but I believe spacer distance is the same between 002/001 in just the diaphragm ring. I know I'm being kind of cryptic because I just had to reloadand rewrite this message on the, my phone, but these are so very simple toopen and play/finnik, replace electrodes for, with.. we could use between .115 or .875mm thick Mg/Alloy plate and have around .14 or .15mm holes for even more even, better field strength (at very least around the 11.5mm hole structure) as is seen in the 001..
See this, AudioCats ENTIRE post (and please account for the modded 212 as read and reported in the post) for straight up, forward comparisons between the electrostatic 001/002 @#post 458 by AudioCats.

Could SOUND premliminary but it is straightforward, I would be interested in your take, possibly doing this, splitting cost. The iems can be Extremely easily taken apart with next to no risk: the diaphragm are fairly similar (and probably, themselves sound fairly similar at 2.1 and 2.5micron [001] though as AudioCats reports in his post the diaphragm themselves do not!.
The best that Stax can, could do is release a iem electrostat with the 009S diaphragm, and they have not (publicly) toyed with the idea since 2016 at CES. One can, could get "drop in", replacement electrodes for between/about 60 or 70 002s' in Mg/Al alloy, stiff and fairly damped stuff(!) And improve on the stator hole structure-field strength dramatically.
We could easily get the hole size and the material "bridge" below the gap distance, which would be great for signal field control/strength on the diaphragm.
Total 800-1000$ in steel and up to 1.8kk, but probably less in nex-gen Magnesium-Al alloy with enough pieces for 60 or so 002/003mkii. I love that the cables are designed to be detachable ("slip on, slip off") on the Electrostatic iems.
Just (very simply/elegantly) attach with Weldwood contact cement and a small/fine nail polish brush. I have already done it, good as new. Very easy and took all of two and a half minutes to open them up, prepare the materials, and do that...
...At the most have just one, do not even need two- phenolic/plastic "rings" cut like Stax already has in the 001 and 002/003mkii to possibly account for the thinner stator material in the "shell" housing.
Stax does all the work, I suggest easily and cheaply potentially capitalizing on it with superior electrode drop ins. The cable is designed to come on/slide off easily, so this would be sort of like, only better than taking an HD 800 and modding it with a resonator to be an HD 800S, "only better"... "Electrostatic"

Sorry just interested in your take, wondering if you would like to try doing this with me... I have been thinking about doing so. It's really fairly cheap and relatively easy seeing as you very straightforwardly would get a much improved in the case of the 002/003mkii, Electrostatic driver. It is just too/that straightforward... And 001 for 'instance' sounds much better than the L300 anyway/already (I have an/the L300, it sounds VERY "thick" not lean with a fast transient decay as in the 009S, and also unlike the 001/002 diaphragm. Stax does all the work and the tensioning for us. All that needs to be done is to drop in an electrode upgrade, which would be very simple, cheap, & easy to do in these around 23.5mm sizes).

Nobody has done a professional job of 'diy' electrostat before aside from MrSpeakers. Here it is just too easy to pass up... AudioCats --as in the electrostatic amp modder- post:... no grain of salt in this read; whole post...

Could be straightforward and CHEAP enough fun, and serious electrostatic improvement for many?, I am not sure what you think. I did not want to do approximately two or three sheets, enough pieces for approximately up to 50 or 60. Back to anime !! I am a sucker for nostalgia and Oudou was neat... Shirly lives, but the original script for the C.G. characters was definitely 'untouchable.'

...Open, slip in. Snap back together as normal and you have a "very" new electrostat. It is easy/manageable... Key

Not to sound like a croaking frog, but... Kero, kero, "Electrostatic" C.C or Kallen's or Lelouch&Suzakus' voice in electrostatic :). I am a dork.

..Best of all because the design is the same, the cable is still detachable, use it on the go or from a desktop amp. Leverage all the effort Stax already does for us in 001/002.. Stax charges 420$ for the combo amp or 240-270$ for the as is Stax pair of headphones + whatever's fair (55 or 75$?) For the Quartet(quad) of Magnesium-Aluminium alloy electrodes. It would be a nice bit of fun to do and I do not know why somebody has not already tried it yet. It isn't that costly,
particularly if shared. It is essentially a free idea.
I think the cable head mouths' (flexible pins) would still 'grab' the slightly thinner stator material.
Keep the old diaphragm ring and gap distance of course.

Attachments

• IMG_20181014_122541.jpg
    IMG_20181014_122541.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20181014_122406.jpg
    IMG_20181014_122406.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 14, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #176,258 of 177,745
Deadly Lover, would you (or others) be interested in potentially a split for much improved "drop in" electrodes for the 002/003mkii or any of the Stax iems?

I don't have any of the Stax IEMs. XD

Very interesting project though, I'm looking forward to how it turns out.

So on my defective SR-202 (severe imbalance and distortion), after sitting unused for 3-4 months I came across a post on reddit saying to smack the earcups to 'unstick' the driver. I don't know if it was the sitting unused or the smacking, but it did the trick.

priestess.jpg

Oct 15, 2018 at 4:22 AM Post #176,259 of 177,745
I don't have any of the Stax IEMs. XD

Very interesting project though, I'm looking forward to how it turns out.

So on my defective SR-202 (severe imbalance and distortion), after sitting unused for 3-4 months I came across a post on reddit saying to smack the earcups to 'unstick' the driver. I don't know if it was the sitting unused or the smacking, but it did the trick.

Sometimes the good old fashion elbow grease is the way to go...

14bb4a96a79580d71025bea947084d0c.jpg

Oct 15, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #176,261 of 177,745
Want to try the 002. If just 4 or 5 people total were interested it would be a worthwhile thing to do. I sent you pms and tried to post accompanying pictures in this thread as well as by pm. It would be straightforward and easy to do because the crimping cable connectors work irrespective of the stator thickness; they are a good design. Will try to upload the photos again here, [they're not uploading right now from my phone for some reason], give me a moment to finnick with the photos.

Oct 15, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #176,262 of 177,745
If just 4 or 5 people total were interested it would be a worthwhile thing to do. I sent Deadly Lover picture pms and tried to post accompanying pictures in this thread as well, for some reason they will not post. An electrode replacement would be straightforward and easy to do because the crimping cable connectors work irrespective of the stator thickness; they're a good design. Will try to upload the photos again here, [they're not uploading right now from my phone for some reason].

To all concerned, interested, I just opened the 003mkii-002 and they're the 001, Stax changed the design back to identical the 001 design, which was likely the superior design depending on what one is shooting for. They are brass rather than copper stators with the same design I'm trying to post pictures of. So the 001 and 002 are now identical, except the film in the 002 is 2.1 instead of 2.5u.I'll post this to the 002/003mkii thread.
...Next up I will soon see if I can tension 1 micron or sub-1 micron film on the old diaphragm rings since I have two almost identical Stax-earspeakers (which is sort of boring as compared to a new stator). They can be used from portable battery source or desktop amp with detachable cable. Still considering the custom electrodes but unless someone wants to do them with me I do not think I want to shoulder the entire-full, hit alone for 200 some electrodes, or enough pieces for say 60 002'.
Stax might have figured the new 002 from 2012 was not competitive enough (with the very big holes across the entire electrode) so they quietly corrected the stator to the 001. *End of all that digression in the anime thread.

Attachments

• IMG_20181014_122541.jpg
    IMG_20181014_122541.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018 at 4:17 AM Post #176,263 of 177,745
I watched the first episode and it's pretty much the same as what I remember from the manga. maybe the manga is just slightly more explicit about goblins making interracial babies and how they have a hard time implementing the notion of sexual consent in their culture. but TBH I was surprised that any of it made it to the anime. I watched expecting a fully PC compliant boring stuff on the anime, so this was a really good surprise.
but I find strange that internet is making such a big deal of it.

clever Windowzz10 seems to be telling me that there is trouble with my account if I boot with my USB hard drive plugged in... it reminds me of the good old days around 2000 when punkbuster would kick me from online games for changing any part of my hardware. :imp:

Oct 18, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #176,264 of 177,745
clever Windowzz10 seems to be telling me that there is trouble with my account if I boot with my USB hard drive plugged in... it reminds me of the good old days around 2000 when punkbuster would kick me from online games for changing any part of my hardware. :imp:

Ahhh punkbuster, I remember getting booted off Battlefield 2 regularly...good times.

So I've been put in charge of upgrading a friend's car audio system from scratch. It seems like all the rage lately is to shove a DSP in there and use REW to generate the parametric EQ curves, so we ordered a calibration mic (minidsp UMIK-1, supposedly 1dB accuracy with the supplied calibration file). I've never had a calibration mic before so I think I'm gonna go around the house and EQ everything. XD

Oct 22, 2018 at 12:54 AM Post #176,265 of 177,745
Ahhh punkbuster, I remember getting booted off Battlefield 2 regularly...good times.

So I've been put in charge of upgrading a friend's car audio system from scratch. It seems like all the rage lately is to shove a DSP in there and use REW to generate the parametric EQ curves, so we ordered a calibration mic (minidsp UMIK-1, supposedly 1dB accuracy with the supplied calibration file). I've never had a calibration mic before so I think I'm gonna go around the house and EQ everything. XD
Sounds like an excellent way to compensate the less than ideal situation in a car .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back