Zune HD will have EQ!
Aug 5, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #16 of 164
yes there is a chip for equalizer but the same DAC will be used so it will probably sound the same as the zune80/120.i love the zune and i am a bit of a fanboy to it and i love its sound signature but i just need something different.i am not in the usa and the zune will not be shipped internationally,so if i decided to get it i will have to import it from there as i did with my zune120 which i bought it fot $250 and then payed $35 for shippingand $50 import taxes.so if the zune hd have the same sound sig. i wont bother buy it because it will cost as much as the sony X series if i buy it localy and with warranty and better sound.

Aug 5, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #17 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes there is a chip for equalizer but the same DAC will be used so it will probably sound the same as the zune80/120.i love the zune and i am a bit of a fanboy to it and i love its sound signature but i just need something different.i am not in the usa and the zune will not be shipped internationally,so if i decided to get it i will have to import it from there as i did with my zune120 which i bought it fot $250 and then payed $35 for shippingand $50 import taxes.so if the zune hd have the same sound sig. i wont bother buy it because it will cost as much as the sony X series if i buy it localy and with warranty and better sound.

Do you think there will be separate chip for equalizer in Zune HD - OR - they gonna put same Wolfson they put in Zune 30 - with equalizer in it ?

Aug 5, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #18 of 164
yeah at gdgt. The guy was letting people hold it to see how it felt with it off, but I motioned that I wanted to turn it on and he let me. I didn't see anything to do with the equalizer. It is much smaller in hand than it looks in the press shots. This player seems nearly done.

Aug 5, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #19 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by emofruit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got this from here :
Zune HD hands-on, impressions, tears of joy | MP3 Insider - CNET Reviews

How will the Zune HD sound, compared to the Zune 120?

This is the only comment on sound quality in the linked article. But sound quality also depends on other parts too.

Quote:

For all you sound nerds out there, the Zune HD's DAC is the same Wolfson one used on previous models--which is good news in my book.

I upgraded from the Zune 30 to the Zune 120 mainly because I wanted extra storage. The sound upgrade between the models was a nice bonus to get in the trade up. For me, it will be hard to justify upgrading the Zune 120, since it suits my needs fine for now, unless there's a significant improvement in sound quality.

Aug 5, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #20 of 164
I wanted Pandora. I said, the next DAP I got will be able to use Pandora. Dammit, I was hoping it would be the Zune HD, guess I am getting an IPhone.

Aug 5, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #21 of 164
i dont know really if they are gonna use the same DAC as the zune120+an equalizer chip or the DAC has an equalizer.i think that if they use the same DAC as the zune30,then alot of people will be turned off because i read some reviews that the zune80/120 sounds better than the 30 without any equing.i hope that they use a different DAC from both generations or else i will get the sony x.

Aug 5, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #22 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can live with the presets. I also think it was a good call to bring back a wolfson dac. Internet browser failure though ... who the hell doesnt use flash nowadays ?

Well from my own experiance browsing with some windows mobile phones both with and without flash, i can say that getting flash to work good on mobile devices is very hard and most times it just makes the experiance worse with longer web load times and bad formating. The one browser who has done it somewhat good is Skyfire. But there are still problems now and then.

Aug 5, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #23 of 164
So is it certain that the ZuneHD will have the same DAC as the old 80/120 GB models? If so, then I will have to choose between the new sony X1000 and the zune : (

Aug 6, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #24 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This was their chance to advance.

Advance? Fail in terms of EQ. Presets but no user-adjustable settings is like rewarding someone with a half-eaten apple instead of a whole one.

I still want to know what the price on one of these will be. Neowin (via Gizmodo) was predicting $249 to $280 last month, but I somehow doubt it'll be under $300. I paid $270 for my 32 GB S9, so if it matches that price (or lower), then it could take quite a bit more market share than Apple would like.

Aug 6, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #25 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acreo Aeneas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Advance? Fail in terms of EQ. Presets but no user-adjustable settings is like rewarding someone with a half-eaten apple instead of a whole one.

Still better than nothing iin my book. Again ... for those who know what its like to want/need eq (be it presets or not) to enhance soundstage /bass or treble on an IEM this is more welcome than not having anything at all. But hey ... you can always get the apple product. (which btw has presets) or get an S9 .... sans browser or get a $$ony; Which in my opinion is not that impressive for its cost.

To each his own

Cheers

Aug 6, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #26 of 164
The DAC alone doesn't mean anything in term of SQ, imo. The internal amp is much more important. Now, since the ZuneHD uses the new chip which is supposed to saved a lot of energy, hopefully they will put more juice into the amp section.

Aug 6, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #27 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Turnaround /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the only comment on sound quality in the linked article. But sound quality also depends on other parts too.

Cnet's reviews of sound quality don't impress me. There was a review for some high-end IEMs (IIRC, it was a review for Shure SE530's, but I could be wrong), and they said when they played anything below 192 MP3s, they "started to cringe." Informative specs, otherwise I'd skip 'em. I'd trust their reviews for most other stuff though.

If the firmware is indeed incomplete and there is indeed an EQ chip/hardware, wouldn't it be possible to add user EQ presets down the road? Could we finally see a new firmware update?

Maybe they'll finally fix gapless playback
biggrin.gif
. That's one of the main reasons why I bought an iPos (and LOD) and Rockboxed it (yes, it was worth it...).

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #28 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acreo Aeneas /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It seems you misinterpreted my post. My point was that the ZuneHD was/is Microsoft's chance to make advances with things like user-adjustable EQ...and that by only offering presets, they've dropped the ball.

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #29 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by emofruit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got this from here :
Zune HD hands-on, impressions, tears of joy | MP3 Insider - CNET Reviews

This player is the reason I haven't bit on a S9 yet!

Finally MS came back to their senses, I have stuck with my Zune30 since 2006 because of this. Now if they would only have a ZuneHD model with 64+ GB of storage.

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #30 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i dont know really if they are gonna use the same DAC as the zune120+an equalizer chip or the DAC has an equalizer.i think that if they use the same DAC as the zune30,then alot of people will be turned off because i read some reviews that the zune80/120 sounds better than the 30 without any equing.i hope that they use a different DAC from both generations or else i will get the sony x.

I have personal experience listening to the newer zunes without an EQ and my old zune30. Using the same wma losselss files same headphones the newer Zunes sound exactly the same as the Zune30 when the EQ is turned off on the zune30.

With the EQ on I much prefer the sound fo the Zune30

Users who are viewing this thread

Back