ZTE AXON 7-America's First HiFi Mobile Audio & Dolby ATMOS
Aug 1, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #47 of 199
Can you describe in what way is it outclassed the sound stage the volume bass warmth i really am interested in this phone but i have a V10 and its a beast so this just has to match the audio quality and i can buy it .

If I were you I would wait until the hype cool down. Don't jump on the hype train first just because someone post a "omg it's damnnn guudddd" impression. Im using v10 too, and Im very skeptical that the Axon 7 can make any exceptional changes to the SQ V10 has.

Another thing that worth to mention: Buying a Chinese phone is a bad idea. I would stick to Korean or Taiwanese ones. Better support, better reliability.

Aug 1, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #48 of 199
Is there a way to find out? All I know is that Dolby Atmos only works on Neutron and JetAudio.

When you switch the Hi-Fi DAC on and off, the audio should cut out for a second and change in sound. That is how you are supposed to tell. Perhaps the same thing happens with the Axon 7.

Could you provide some screenshots of the different audio settings you are able to change?

One thing I'm looking forward to is if Viper4Android can be installed eventually and how the amp compares to the HTC 10 I had briefly. With it, I could really boost the Viper bass with no volume loss during heavy parts. Versus my G4 which cut severely, and my Exynos S7 which only cuts a tiny tiny amount.

The Axon 7 has a locked bootloader so at the moment it can't be rooted (or at best it's very difficult). I think you need root to install Viper4Android.

Aug 1, 2016 at 7:08 AM Post #49 of 199
Can you describe in what way is it outclassed the sound stage the volume bass warmth i really am interested in this phone but i have a V10 and its a beast so this just has to match the audio quality and i can buy it .

The soundstage is already quite large without the Dolby Atmos DSP enabled. There's a bit of warmth (depending on the recording). The mid-range is quite clear and detailed. So clear that I can hear the vocals better than from my Cowon PD. The instrument separation is also phenomenal. Even in fast songs I can easily hear the placement of everything. I don't know how it compares with the LG V10, but this is a huge upgrade from the Cowon PD.

Aug 1, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #50 of 199
If I were you I would wait until the hype cool down. Don't jump on the hype train first just because someone post a "omg it's damnnn guudddd" impression. Im using v10 too, and Im very skeptical that the Axon 7 can make any exceptional changes to the SQ V10 has.

Another thing that worth to mention: Buying a Chinese phone is a bad idea. I would stick to Korean or Taiwanese ones. Better support, better reliability.

In my opinion, this is no longer correct. Maybe it was true a few years ago, but I know plenty of people who own phones by the likes of Vivo and Xiaomi and have no more issues than phones from other countries. Also, as much as I like my LG V10, there are definitely some build quality issues and the ones I've experienced are widely reported online by other customers.

Aug 1, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #51 of 199

In my opinion, this is no longer correct. Maybe it was true a few years ago, but I know plenty of people who own phones by the likes of Vivo and Xiaomi and have no more issues than phones from other countries. Also, as much as I like my LG V10, there are definitely some build quality issues and the ones I've experienced are widely reported online by other customers.

Well, good luck getting support or warranty when buying a non-international Chinese phone model.
In case of problem you're on your own.

Today, there are only a few Chinese brands with a proper international network and support. For example Huawei and Meizu (only if you buy the international versions of their phones though).
Xiaomi has non-existent support in most countries except China.

But some people DO enjoy playing lottery with smartphones. When everything goes well, you win, at the smallest problem, you lose. Fine with a 100$ phone, not so fine at 400$ in my opinion.

Aug 1, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #52 of 199

I dont think so, Xiaomi/ZTE doesn't offer neither international support or warranty or any kind of after sale marketing. Good luck when your phone just stop working on a random sunny day.

Well, good luck getting support or warranty when buying a non-international Chinese phone model.
In case of problem you're on your own.

Today, there are only a few Chinese brands with a proper international network and support. For example Huawei and Meizu (only if you buy the international versions of their phones though).
Xiaomi has non-existent support in most countries except China.

But some people DO enjoy playing lottery with smartphones. When everything goes well, you win, at the smallest problem, you lose. Fine with a 100$ phone, not so fine at 400$ in my opinion.

Total agree. Don't drop your money on a risky deal like this one, esp when you have to consider your budget. If you have a couple grand to throw around then it's another different story.

Aug 1, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #53 of 199
You do realize that the ZTE AXON 7 has a North American Warranty? Right? Passport 2.0. Also I bought the North American version. Also it's up to you guys if you want to buy it. You don't have to.

Aug 1, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #54 of 199
Anyone reading this thread should also note the LG V20 supposedly has a September release date, as of last night.

Aug 1, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #55 of 199
Anyone reading this thread should also note the LG V20 supposedly has a September release date, as of last night.

Yeah. I saw it. I don't know if I'll buy it now. When I win big I will probably buy it.

Aug 2, 2016 at 2:31 AM Post #56 of 199
You do realize that the ZTE AXON 7 has a North American Warranty? Right? Passport 2.0. Also I bought the North American version. Also it's up to you guys if you want to buy it. You don't have to.

This is correct. And Xiaomi and Vivo do offer support and warranty for their products in countries like India, provided you purchase there from an official seller. There are quite a few countries which don't offer international support and warranty (Japan for example).

Anyway, returning the conversation to the Axon 7, mine arrived yesterday but the box was damaged (thanks Amazon). So I will have to put off doing a comparison with my V10 until a repleacement arrives.

Aug 2, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #57 of 199
Posted my initial findings against the G5 here: 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/662095/best-smartphone-for-audiophile/3720#post_12762967

TL;DR - the Axon 7 is an incredible phone for the price and sound quality is really, really good. 

-Collin-

Aug 2, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #58 of 199
  Posted my initial findings against the G5 here: 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/662095/best-smartphone-for-audiophile/3720#post_12762967

TL;DR - the Axon 7 is an incredible phone for the price and sound quality is really, really good. 

-Collin-

Excellent review. This phone is truly a bargain. 

Aug 2, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #59 of 199
One thing I forgot to mention is that I'm slightly disappointed in the Android software version. The security patch level is still on May 2016. My carrier-branded (Verizon, the WORST) S7 is on July security patch and my G5 unlocked is on June. May is a few months behind and I sure hope this isn't a sign of things to come with the Nougat being announced. 

-Collin-

Aug 2, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #60 of 199
One thing I forgot to mention is that I'm slightly disappointed in the Android software version. The security patch level is still on May 2016. My carrier-branded (Verizon, the WORST) S7 is on July security patch and my G5 unlocked is on June. May is a few months behind and I sure hope this isn't a sign of things to come with the Nougat being announced. 

-Collin-

Yeah. That's bothering me too. Good news is that the Source Code was released yesterday. One step closer to unlocking the bootloader.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back