ZMF x Vibro & ZMF Blackwood Discussion Thread.
Sep 15, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #91 of 1,522
Sep 15, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #92 of 1,522
Check my PM-2 review for a teaser measurement. Posted lengthy impressions and a full set of measurements elsewhere in the intertubes, which I can only share via PM until I post them at HF.

Sep 15, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #93 of 1,522
^I was able to recover from my need of funds faster than I expected. The next hp wont be the vibro because its too nice to be taking it around everywhere and I don't have a portable amp. I am commuting on the bus sometimes and the vibro wont work for tracking/commuting/and airplanes etc.

I was so bummed to not have any hps on my plane trip or ones to take with me to the studio. The next ones will be the MH40's

When I had them both here I enjoyed both of them but wanted to listen to the vibro more. The MH40 has a more focused slam in the bass and has just as full of a sound as the Vibro but had less projection in the upper mids, less soundstage, and imaging capabilities, less comfort, and less air. But the Mh40 has an even more dynamic sound, and is a lot more portable, and still not congested so it will meet my needs more.

Sep 15, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #94 of 1,522
^I was able to recover from my need of funds faster than I expected. The next hp wont be the vibro because its too nice to be taking it around everywhere and I don't have a portable amp. I am commuting on the bus sometimes and the vibro wont work for tracking/commuting/and airplanes etc.

I was so bummed to not have any hps on my plane trip or ones to take with me to the studio. The next ones will be the MH40's

When I had them both here I enjoyed both of them but wanted to listen to the vibro more. The MH40 has a more focused slam in the bass and has just as full of a sound as the Vibro but had less projection in the upper mids, less soundstage, and imaging capabilities, less comfort, and less air. But the Mh40 has an even more dynamic sound, and is a lot more portable, and still not congested so it will meet my needs more.

this part about mh40 worries me 

Speaking of the high end, it’s defined, delicate, and has an almost icy metallic precision to it. (As opposed to a warm, rich tonality.) This is possibly due to a bump around 9kHz, which is fantastic for detail in consonants but also adds a sharp edge to the high end which I could see being a love-it-or-hate-it situation for listeners who have spent time with headphones that gently roll off the highs after 3kHz. Overall, the choices made in the tuning are purposeful and create a signature sound worthy of the price range

Sep 15, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #95 of 1,522
There is a spike in the treble after the upper mids at around 9khz but the spirit pro and hp50 have the same spike. This treble of the mh40 is actually darker than the vibro and pro by a little but with an emphasis on the s yet its not splashy or harsh. I read that and was expecting a really bright and abrasive hp but that wasnt the case.

Sep 16, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #96 of 1,522
There is a spike in the treble after the upper mids at around 9khz but the spirit pro and hp50 have the same spike. This treble of the mh40 is actually darker than the vibro and pro by a little but with an emphasis on the s yet its not splashy or harsh. I read that and was expecting a really bright and abrasive hp but that wasnt the case.

Well, I just bought a pair of brand new Vibro because of you! I'll post pics and impressions once I get them.

Edit: Also, Zach is a pleasure to work with, replied to my emails within minutes, provided me with multiple pictures and info that I asked. I HIGHLY recommend working with him.

Sep 17, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #98 of 1,522
pleasure to work with, replied to my emails within minutes, provided me with multiple pictures and info that I asked. I HIGHLY recommend working with him.

100% agree - great customer-oriented and very helpful. I'm also about to pull the trigger, but still figuring out the endless customizations :wink:

Sep 17, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #100 of 1,522
Yeah, the burst finish looks beautiful - it's quite tempting, but not decided yet (money, money, money, it's not funny :wink:

Sep 17, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #101 of 1,522
These are my sweetest closed cans and I hardly finished burning them and without any use but they will be my first victim to show my fiance she means more to me so off they are posted on the for sale forums but not without much pain!
They are the closest thing in the mids to my Audio Technica woodies while giving that full planar detailed presentation. .

Sep 17, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #102 of 1,522
Does anyone know if there's a chance of ZMF offering a Black Friday deal?  If so I might wait until then, if not...  I might be ordering soon.

Sep 17, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #103 of 1,522
  Does anyone know if there's a chance of ZMF offering a Black Friday deal?  If so I might wait until then, if not...  I might be ordering soon.

Directly from their website :

"I want to get a better price, will you give me one!?

Sorry, we’re already selling these for very competitive, "sale" prices."

Highly doubt it.

Sep 17, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #104 of 1,522
It was either in March or May, I believe May, that I'm 90% sure I remember their website doing a sale, which is why I asked.  I think it was around 15% or so, but I could be misremembering.

Sep 17, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #105 of 1,522
  It was either in March or May, I believe May, that I'm 90% sure I remember their website doing a sale, which is why I asked.  I think it was around 15% or so, but I could be misremembering.

Best thing you could do is e-mail Zach and ask him ahah, I couldn't wait that long even if I wanted to since I'm all out of headphones for now except for a broken(headband) SRH-940.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back