ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
May 20, 2024 at 7:46 PM Post #12,526 of 12,553
So I received a Verite Silver cable for these and think I might prefer the 2K Copper and maybe even the OFC cable, sonically, on my set up. I perceive improved dynamics and staging however something in the tonality and/or timbre has been thrown ever so slightly off kilter. Interesting! Time to fiddle with my chain I think...
Completely agree. Using a very thick, high-quality UPOCC copper cable with my VC has been an excellent match. I found my fusion silver/copper cables to be a bit TOO detail-focused and not ideal compared to the all-copper option.

May 21, 2024 at 7:31 AM Post #12,527 of 12,553
There's no ZMF integration thread, so I'll post this here.
I got AC and BOKEH samples from a ZMF distributor in Korea, so I went to listen to them.
But both AC and BOKEH had a problem with the right driver... The sound was very faint. OMG
I listened to VC and Atticus, and liked them quite a bit.
The VC has a wider soundstage than the Atticus, and I liked it quite a bit.
The Atticus was quite unique. It had a smaller soundstage than the VC, but it had a lot of bass, and the bass guitar sounded really good.
It felt like a live performance in the room.

So the conclusion is... I want to have both of them...
I was planning to buy the AC LTD in November... I'm confused.

Attachments

• 20240521_145723.jpg
    20240521_145723.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240521_155607.jpg
    20240521_155607.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240521_164931.jpg
    20240521_164931.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240521_165709.jpg
    20240521_165709.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
May 24, 2024 at 1:34 AM Post #12,528 of 12,553
Listening to The Mountain Goats tonight with my Woo WA2 OTL amp and the VCs.

Wow, this headphone is spectacular with acoustic instruments and folk/singer-songwriter-type music (and lots of other genres too!).

It’s a lot like going to a small, well-acoustically-treated club and relaxing in great seating while John Darnelle and co deliver wry lyrics and great melodies. Moving and darkly funny stuff (the track below is “International Small Arms Traffic Blues”, which has some of the darkest and most colorful analogies of love ever written).
:o2smile:

IMG_3597.jpeg

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 5:59 AM Post #12,529 of 12,553
There's no ZMF integration thread, so I'll post this here.
I got AC and BOKEH samples from a ZMF distributor in Korea, so I went to listen to them.
But both AC and BOKEH had a problem with the right driver... The sound was very faint. OMG
I listened to VC and Atticus, and liked them quite a bit.
The VC has a wider soundstage than the Atticus, and I liked it quite a bit.
The Atticus was quite unique. It had a smaller soundstage than the VC, but it had a lot of bass, and the bass guitar sounded really good.
It felt like a live performance in the room.

So the conclusion is... I want to have both of them...
I was planning to buy the AC LTD in November... I'm confused.
Is this at sogohm's? I was looking forward to trying out the atrium closed before ordering a stabilized version...too bad their sample unit is doa.

May 24, 2024 at 6:53 AM Post #12,530 of 12,553
Is this at sogohm's? I was looking forward to trying out the atrium closed before ordering a stabilized version...too bad their sample unit is doa.
It was there!
But... They must have sent it back to the U.S. You'll have to wait a month or so to hear the sound of a normal product.

May 24, 2024 at 7:07 AM Post #12,531 of 12,553
It was there!
But... They must have sent it back to the U.S. You'll have to wait a month or so to hear the sound of a normal product.
If you do end up getting the VC, you gotta pair them with tubes! (or you can mellow out the sound a bit more with titan mesh as I did) The AC I've read is less picky with amps and sounds generally more pleasing across the board vs the VC.

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 10:44 AM Post #12,532 of 12,553
If you do end up getting the VC, you gotta pair them with tubes! (or you can mellow out the sound a bit more with titan mesh as I did) The AC I've read is less picky with amps and sounds generally more pleasing across the board vs the VC.
The VC is interesting in that the pads also seem to have a bigger impact on it than on some other ZMF headphones.

The Be2 Suedes are my absolute favorites now - they seem to add a lot more impact and liveliness to the sound while also increasing the bass output a good bit, maybe because they bring the driver closer to the ear? They’re also good for helping fight the tendency of the VC to be a bit dark.

With those pads, a punchy DAC like the Yggy OG A2, and warmer tubes like the WE396As I’m running in my Folkvangr it’s a magical combination, absolutely the best synergy I’ve heard so far.

I’m getting some great slam, holographic staging and vocals, and bass lines that are prominent and go deep.

My VCs didn’t come with any mesh, but that’s fine for me, as I wouldn’t be want any less treble or upper mids.

May 24, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #12,533 of 12,553
The VC is interesting in that the pads also seem to have a bigger impact on it than on some other ZMF headphones.

The Be2 Suedes are my absolute favorites now - they seem to add a lot more impact and liveliness to the sound while also increasing the bass output a good bit, maybe because they bring the driver closer to the ear? They’re also good for helping fight the tendency of the VC to be a bit dark.

With those pads, a punchy DAC like the Yggy OG A2, and warmer tubes like the WE396As I’m running in my Folkvangr it’s a magical combination, absolutely the best synergy I’ve heard so far.

I’m getting some great slam, holographic staging and vocals, and bass lines that are prominent and go deep.

My VCs didn’t come with any mesh, but that’s fine for me, as I wouldn’t be want any less treble or upper mids.
Can you compare it with BE2 lambskin or Universe lambskin or hybrids, if you can?

May 24, 2024 at 4:54 PM Post #12,534 of 12,553
Can you compare it with BE2 lambskin or Universe lambskin or hybrids, if you can?
I’ll have to see if I have a pair of BE2 lambskin or hybrid when I get home.

I did try the Universe Lambskin and it wasn’t a favorite of mine. It does help create a larger more diffuse soundstage, and helps preserve some sub-bass, but IMO it also made them sound too relaxed and distant.

May 25, 2024 at 1:20 AM Post #12,535 of 12,553

I agree that pads have a huge effect. I went through the auteur stock pads and eikon lambskin pads before settling on my current pads being cowhide ori. It has the biggest chamber size out of all the zmf pads and with the added hardness of cowhide vs lambskin/suede, there was an increase in bass presence as well as shoutier treble, but also an increase in decay (I mellowed out the increased treble with titan mesh which I purchased separately). Man I would love to have a dac like the yggy...I'm still stuck with a topping e70, though I did manage to save up to buy a cayin ha3a earlier this year which has been awesome. Planning on getting a gustard r26 at the end of the year to finalize my setup.

May 25, 2024 at 8:19 AM Post #12,536 of 12,553
I agree that pads have a huge effect. I went through the auteur stock pads and eikon lambskin pads before settling on my current pads being cowhide ori. It has the biggest chamber size out of all the zmf pads and with the added hardness of cowhide vs lambskin/suede, there was an increase in bass presence as well as shoutier treble, but also an increase in decay (I mellowed out the increased treble with titan mesh which I purchased separately). Man I would love to have a dac like the yggy...I'm still stuck with a topping e70, though I did manage to save up to buy a cayin ha3a earlier this year which has been awesome. Planning on getting a gustard r26 at the end of the year to finalize my setup.
I was using the SMSL SU-9 before the Yggy, and switching to the Yggy was a huge difference in detail, soundstage, and dynamics.

I’ve heard good things about the Gustard R26 so that should be a major upgrade over the Topppng too.

May 25, 2024 at 8:22 AM Post #12,537 of 12,553
I checked and the Suedes are the only Be2 pads I have. I do have Universe Suedes that I can try.

I’ve tried Autuer Lambskin, Auteur Hybrid, Auteur Suedes, and Universe Lambskin so far in addition to the Be2 Suede.

May 25, 2024 at 11:22 AM Post #12,538 of 12,553
One way to get VERY close to the Yggy’s sound without spending nearly as much is to get a pre-owned Gungnir Multibit.

They run as little as $650-750 used these days, which is frankly a steal for a DAC that could be end-game for most people (including me).

I’ve loved mine for years and have used it with very good headphone chains (see my signature for my current setup) as well as an excellent two-channel speaker setup.

I am occasionally curious about the Yggy, but then I just turn on my current setup and it cures me of any upgrade itch. 😉

May 25, 2024 at 11:47 AM Post #12,539 of 12,553
I tried the Universe Suedes earlier today. They reminded me about something else I didn’t care for about the Universe or Auteur Lambskin or Hybrid with these - the VC has a certain lower-midrange thickness that IMO reduces clarity some and makes them sound too warm and ‘thick’ overall.

The Be2 pads are the only ones I’ve tried that don’t make that lower midrange area sound too thick or prominent. They give the VCs a more linear presentation and also bring out the sub bass and bass detail more than the Universe or Auteur pads for me.

Next time I do an order from ZMF I’ll try to pick up some Be2 Lambskin and one of the Verite pad versions just so I can compare those.

May 25, 2024 at 2:55 PM Post #12,540 of 12,553
I tried the Universe Suedes earlier today. They reminded me about something else I didn’t care for about the Universe or Auteur Lambskin or Hybrid with these - the VC has a certain lower-midrange thickness that IMO reduces clarity some and makes them sound too warm and ‘thick’ overall.

The Be2 pads are the only ones I’ve tried that don’t make that lower midrange area sound too thick or prominent. They give the VCs a more linear presentation and also bring out the sub bass and bass detail more than the Universe or Auteur pads for me.

Next time I do an order from ZMF I’ll try to pick up some Be2 Lambskin and one of the Verite pad versions just so I can compare those.
Thank you! I have to check the BE2 (lamb and also suedes) :)
Zach recommended BE2 lambskin for Blackwood VC, I have Ironwood. I am curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back