ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Feb 12, 2024 at 1:52 AM Post #6,406 of 7,448
Anyone have an example of what the Caldera looks like in the natural wood (Ash LTD)?

Feb 12, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #6,407 of 7,448
Posting this here as it helped a couple people on the Bokeh thread. Wanted to quickly share my method for switching ZMF pads, as I continue to see folks struggling with this on all the different ZMF threads and this cuts the pad change time down to seconds. Please try this and let me know if it helps.

Feb 12, 2024 at 2:04 PM Post #6,408 of 7,448
Posting this here as it helped a couple people on the Bokeh thread. Wanted to quickly share my method for switching ZMF pads, as I continue to see folks struggling with this on all the different ZMF threads and this cuts the pad change time down to seconds. Please try this and let me know if it helps.

Brilliant

Feb 12, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #6,409 of 7,448

My hero!

Feb 12, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #6,410 of 7,448

Wow. Too good to be real.

Feb 12, 2024 at 7:04 PM Post #6,411 of 7,448

Great video! This is sort of the method I use but sometimes the pads have to be "broken in" first and the leather flaps tend to be stiff when new.

Feb 12, 2024 at 8:22 PM Post #6,412 of 7,448

The only comment/suggestion I would make is this: when I change pads on any ZMF, I start out just as you do with both earcups facing up (pads facing up) so the wooden earcups won't smack into each other. But stuff happens, and before I know it, the one below spins around, and suddenly wood is knocking together.

So before I actually remove the first pad, I drape a clean dish towel over the earcup that's on the bottom. That way, no matter what happens the wood on either earcup can't really hit anything else.

Feb 12, 2024 at 8:41 PM Post #6,413 of 7,448
The only comment/suggestion I would make is this: when I change pads on any ZMF, I start out just as you do with both earcups facing up (pads facing up) so the wooden earcups won't smack into each other. But stuff happens, and before I know it, the one below spins around, and suddenly wood is knocking together.

So before I actually remove the first pad, I drape a clean dish towel over the earcup that's on the bottom. That way, no matter what happens the wood on either earcup can't really hit anything else.
That’s a great call out. I have definitely had some unintentional knocks in the very beginning and now have a muscle memory of how high to lift the cup while changing out the pad. Will try this out.

Feb 12, 2024 at 10:25 PM Post #6,414 of 7,448
I’ll second this and build on it with an idea-

I have yet to try this, BUT- what about a clean sock (ideally thick wool), gently pulled on to one ear cup?

No, I’m not joking- seems like it could work well with a men’s 9-12 size sock.

I had this idea while going to sleep last night, for some reason (probably because I have a pair of Auteur Hybrid pads I want to try on my AC)…

Feb 12, 2024 at 10:32 PM Post #6,415 of 7,448
I’ll second this and build on it with an idea-

I have yet to try this, BUT- what about a clean sock (ideally thick wool), gently pulled on to one ear cup?

No, I’m not joking- seems like it could work well with a men’s 9-12 size sock.

I had this idea while going to sleep last night, for some reason (probably because I have a pair of Auteur Hybrid pads I want to try on my AC)…
Great idea. No reason a clean sock wouldn't work at least as well as my dish towel.

Feb 12, 2024 at 11:34 PM Post #6,416 of 7,448
For anyone who was curious about the Grand Palladium Silver. I received it about a week ago and it does a really good job of taming the somewhat bright upper mids. Specifically, with the stock pads it eliminates any listener fatigue that I had before with the ofc.

Feb 14, 2024 at 7:43 PM Post #6,417 of 7,448
@zach915m Any chance there will be a Caldera Closed prototype to try out at CanJam NY?

Feb 14, 2024 at 8:11 PM Post #6,418 of 7,448
Feb 14, 2024 at 8:24 PM Post #6,420 of 7,448

Users who are viewing this thread

Back