ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Apr 20, 2024 at 4:53 AM Post #7,036 of 7,093
Apr 20, 2024 at 6:25 AM Post #7,037 of 7,093
So I've had my Caldera for about 4 months now. Upon first listening I found the treble a bit harsh at times for my taste. The mantle mesh helped. Settled on the mantle mesh + thick pads combo and loved it for the past 3 months.

Today I had the idea to swap around pads to see what other pads I like with the mantle mesh (I have suedes and stock). On a whim I decided to try the cans again without the mantle mesh and with stock pads.
Not sure if its due to burn in or brain burn in (possibly both) but the treble no longer bothers me like it did in the beginning. Depending on the mastering some tracks still do, but for the most part its no longer an issue. Almost feels like I'm listening to an improved version of the Caldera.

Now I get to play around with the 3 pads I have (stock, suedes, thicc) to see which sound signature I prefer!

Side note: the Caldera sounds amazing on the Aegis tube amp (I have a DIY version). For anyone considering the upcoming ZMF Aegis I wholeheartedly recommend it! Its an amazing combo!
I think it's the headphones burning effect.
I also had this trouble with highs, and I am not very sensitive to it. However, after 5 months the highs have tamed down and it's wonderful. I have compared with other headphones I knew very well before having the caldera, and I am confident to say that caldera after a good burn, become better.
Also settled with thick pads (no mesh).
Also to say that some amps/tubes work better with them.
Enjoy!!

Apr 20, 2024 at 8:11 AM Post #7,039 of 7,093
Has anyone heard Diana MR and Caldera can compare as i’m on the fence of blind buying one of them.
I have both . For me - Caldera is better.

Apr 20, 2024 at 8:21 AM Post #7,040 of 7,093
Ought these purpuratus ac are calling me like crazy. But I just got the AO zebra and a bunch of tubes with the cayin. I'm broken.
I hope there are more stabilized ac so I can get a pair. Whoever is able to. Get these. They look superb. It's like looking at the cosmos. 🌌🎧

Apr 20, 2024 at 8:31 AM Post #7,041 of 7,093
Ought these purpuratus ac are calling me like crazy. But I just got the AO zebra and a bunch of tubes with the cayin. I'm broken.
I hope there are more stabilized ac so I can get a pair. Whoever is able to. Get these. They look superb. It's like looking at the cosmos. 🌌🎧
There will be many more opportunities if you are patient. This is what I have to keep telling myself as well :wink:

Apr 20, 2024 at 9:10 AM Post #7,042 of 7,093
I chose both. :gs1000smile:
N3 Ultra and TubeMini - curious about use cases. Jack Wu told me at CanJam the Tube Mini is intended to be “transportable,” but NOT “portable,” as in don’t use it while you’re walking around. Is the N3 different?

Apr 20, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #7,043 of 7,093
N3 Ultra and TubeMini - curious about use cases. Jack Wu told me at CanJam the Tube Mini is intended to be “transportable,” but NOT “portable,” as in don’t use it while you’re walking around. Is the N3 different?
Tube mini requires a source (phone, computer....). N3 doesn't need anything.

Apr 20, 2024 at 1:08 PM Post #7,045 of 7,093
Never had a ZMF before, but I've been lusting over the idea of having a stabilized Caldera for the better part of a year now, and managed to score my first choice in the drop this morning! Can't wait to see and hear these beauties in person... 🤤

1000004748.png
Can't get over how pretty this is!

Fool that I am, I clicked on ZMF's email link to these new stabilized sets ... photos scorched my retinas.

Apr 20, 2024 at 1:32 PM Post #7,046 of 7,093
I also clicked on that email... It's true that one will have to get two cables even if I would get an extra upgrade cable or have one at home already, right?

Apr 20, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #7,047 of 7,093
Tube mini requires a source (phone, computer....). N3 doesn't need anything.
I get that, but can the N3 be used "walking around" or would that mess with the tube?

Apr 21, 2024 at 1:05 AM Post #7,048 of 7,093
I get that, but can the N3 be used "walking around" or would that mess with the tube?
No problem . I take him for a walk. This is exactly why I bought it.

Apr 21, 2024 at 7:27 PM Post #7,049 of 7,093
Apart from listening, I also love to see these headphones so much that made myself a Lock Screen :darthsmile:

IMG_3446.PNG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back