ZMF Caldera Closed
May 11, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #571 of 710
That is correct from past experience. It is an added accessory that you have to install yourself. The user would need to remove the default strap and add the BBB strap. That's what I did for my CO that came with the standard strap.

I should have been clearer on that in my earlier response.

It's all good. Thanks for clarifying. If there's anything else I can help with, please let me know.

May 11, 2024 at 6:07 PM Post #572 of 710
That is correct from past experience. It is an added accessory that you have to install yourself. The user would need to remove the default strap and add the BBB strap. That's what I did for my CO that came with the standard strap.

I should have been clearer on that in my earlier response.
When I ordered my CO I ordered the BBB as an accessory but asked and ZMF installed it for me before shipping it out. Definitely email them and they’ll get you sorted.

May 11, 2024 at 6:36 PM Post #573 of 710
It spreads out the weight on your head better due to having more surface area. I wear glasses and incidentally I have found I get a better seal too.

Gotcha, how about the difference between the magnesium vs the alum frame?

May 11, 2024 at 9:20 PM Post #576 of 710
Caldera Closed and Verite Closed

I thought I would throw in a comparison between the Caldera Closed and the Verite Closed.

In general the Caldera Closed comes across as more balanced. Everything is equal. Smooth and fast. With a tinge of darkness.

The Verity Closed on the other hand has the midbass bump and a treble bump. Mids are not recessed but bass and treble are a tiny bit more elevated. There is a darker fun going on with VC. CC has a dark fast fun.

It is like ZMF wanted a fast dark DD with great resolution for the VC. And with CC they wanted a fast dark Planar with great resolution. The only difference in those superlatives are “DD” and “Planar.”

The stage of the CC is wider than VC in my opinion. VC is closer to the stage. The notes are closer with the VC but there is still this 3D thing going on. CC is more left to right and wider and sitting further back from the stage. And of course, the notes are faster with CC as to be expected.

VC likes to get right to the point. Minimal foreplay. With CC the foreplay is a little longer. Both are a joy. There is just a different way of getting to the apex with each.

Again, I must say how impressed I am with the ZMF lineup. Each of these high end ZMF headphones compete with other top tier HPs. None of the ZMF top tier HPs is an improvement over the other. Each offers a quality good time with many climaxes in store.

IMG_5623.jpg
Wow. That Blackwood looks, well....black. Impressive!

May 11, 2024 at 9:30 PM Post #577 of 710
Wow. That Blackwood looks, well....black. Impressive!
African Blackwood is not only a great wood density paired with the Beryllium-coated drivers, but also looks amazing.

The only downside is some added weight, but with a Co-Pilot pad or BBB strap, it’s not an issue.

IMG_3415.jpeg

May 11, 2024 at 9:55 PM Post #579 of 710
May 11, 2024 at 10:08 PM Post #580 of 710
Ordered one from the US, waiting for my friend to bring it to me, don't know when, will pair it with my Mojo 2, so excited! :darthsmile:
Nice! It's hard to beat at that price point.

May 11, 2024 at 11:18 PM Post #581 of 710
Gotcha, how about the difference between the magnesium vs the alum frame?
magnesium is lighter by some small amount. I have a Blackwood Atrium feels necessary on those. If your going stock I don’t think you’ll need it but in some of the heavier limited models or a stabalized I’d lean Magnesium.

May 11, 2024 at 11:21 PM Post #582 of 710
In general, if it was a fully custom shop, I'd ask for aluminum framesets due to durability and BBB straps for comfort. Packaging all of the pad and mess options at purchase is a big step forward for all parties.

May 12, 2024 at 2:51 AM Post #583 of 710
Anyone running their CC meshless? I've been going back and forth between the CO and CC tonight and the one thing that really stands out to me is the added clarity of the CO. Comparing on the same system with same cable, just swapping headphones. The CO is a touch more efficient, or less dampened, as it's louder than the CC by a small margin. But the clarity is really standing out. The CC side by side seems muffled. The main difference is the upper mids/treble.

I'm really at a loss on both Calderas in that they're far brighter than I normally like and can handle (easily aggravated tinnitus), yet I'm not getting the usual fatigue, and I kinda like it. But the CO really stands out here with it's added clarity. I might pull the mesh off the CC to see if it's the mesh or the overall tuning of the CC that's contributing to it's more muffled presentation.

May 12, 2024 at 6:23 AM Post #584 of 710
Good God Man!!! The cable… what’s the gauge on that thing? The brand…?
That is a Norne Audio Drausk (early pre-production extra-thick gauge version). Pure OCC copper, a phenomenal cable and a wonderful match with the VC. If I recall, my cable is a 24-wire 17-point something awg gauge version.

Trevor, the wizard behind Norne Audio, was still experimenting with gauges for the Drausk and offered me an extra-thick build years ago.

Never ever selling it- nor any of my other Nornes… I’ve only sold one older Norne cable I’d bought second-hand, and regretted it. Trevor’s cables are heirloom quality.

May 12, 2024 at 7:28 AM Post #585 of 710
That is a Norne Audio Drausk (early pre-production extra-thick gauge version). Pure OCC copper, a phenomenal cable and a wonderful match with the VC. If I recall, my cable is a 24-wire 17-point something awg gauge version.

Trevor, the wizard behind Norne Audio, was still experimenting with gauges for the Drausk and offered me an extra-thick build years ago.

Never ever selling it- nor any of my other Nornes… I’ve only sold one older Norne cable I’d bought second-hand, and regretted it. Trevor’s cables are heirloom quality.
Fantastic cable and DEFINITELY a keeper! Upon first glance, it reminded me of my Eletech Inferno. I LOVE that cable like no other! Heavy gauge, pure copper cable(s) adds a level of body to the sound like no other!! Kudos!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back