ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
Mar 25, 2024 at 4:17 AM Post #2,086 of 2,456
Well I got the tuning kit with pads and was too scared to pad roll due to the myriad comments of rage and frustration haha, but guess what????? I had no intention of rolling for ages as I wanted to spend lots of time as they came but just my accident i must have bumped/brushed the right cup and the bloody pad fell off.:rage:......OH crap I think - I'm gonna have to do this............ So I donned my big boy pants and gave it a crack. I thought I'd remove the mesh while I'm there as I do like treble (although they sounded magnificent with the mesh that they had on them). I chose the pads in pic 4 (not sure which is which sorry) and got to work. What the F do you know??????? Pad 1 in about 1 minute!!!!!!!!! Thank your mother for the rabbit!!!!!! 2nd pad - I'm gonna ace this!!!!!!!!!!!!...............Hmmmmmmm 2 mins, 3, swearing, 4, whacked the couch at one stage haha, more foul language................. I did eventually get them on but the 2nd was a struggle. Anyway, pads in the 4th pic, sans mesh and listening on my Mojo 1, they sound fantastic. More treble obviously and not sure, but could bass be more prominent too??????Will give this a go for a while then maybe stock mesh back on and try 3rd pair of pads......watch this space (you'll probably hear the swearing haha). No, I joke, it really wasn't that bad. Hard coz of the slight oval shape but with practice, we will all be able to do reasonably easily.
Has anyone else removed the mesh altogether and if so, thoughts???????

Attachments

• B1.jpg
    B1.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • B2.jpg
    B2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • B3.jpg
    B3.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • B4.jpg
    B4.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 7:24 AM Post #2,087 of 2,456
Well I got the tuning kit with pads and was too scared to pad roll due to the myriad comments of rage and frustration haha, but guess what????? I had no intention of rolling for ages as I wanted to spend lots of time as they came but just my accident i must have bumped/brushed the right cup and the bloody pad fell off.:rage:......OH crap I think - I'm gonna have to do this............ So I donned my big boy pants and gave it a crack. I thought I'd remove the mesh while I'm there as I do like treble (although they sounded magnificent with the mesh that they had on them). I chose the pads in pic 4 (not sure which is which sorry) and got to work. What the F do you know??????? Pad 1 in about 1 minute!!!!!!!!! Thank your mother for the rabbit!!!!!! 2nd pad - I'm gonna ace this!!!!!!!!!!!!...............Hmmmmmmm 2 mins, 3, swearing, 4, whacked the couch at one stage haha, more foul language................. I did eventually get them on but the 2nd was a struggle. Anyway, pads in the 4th pic, sans mesh and listening on my Mojo 1, they sound fantastic. More treble obviously and not sure, but could bass be more prominent too??????Will give this a go for a while then maybe stock mesh back on and try 3rd pair of pads......watch this space (you'll probably hear the swearing haha). No, I joke, it really wasn't that bad. Hard coz of the slight oval shape but with practice, we will all be able to do reasonably easily.
Has anyone else removed the mesh altogether and if so, thoughts???????
I hate to say it, but in the forth pic with the Hybrid Pads, they look like they are reversed/upside-down. The seam should go on the bottom. . .

Mar 25, 2024 at 7:38 AM Post #2,088 of 2,456
I hate to say it, but in the forth pic with the Hybrid Pads, they look like they are reversed/upside-down. The seam should go on the bottom. . .
Well that sounds like something id do haha. I was just going by having the angled extra padding behind my ears. In bed now so I'll check tomorrow but thanks if I've mucked it up!

Mar 25, 2024 at 10:22 AM Post #2,089 of 2,456
Well that sounds like something id do haha. I was just going by having the angled extra padding behind my ears. In bed now so I'll check tomorrow but thanks if I've mucked it up!
If you are careful and go slowly, you should be able to rotate the pads, without the pads falling off, so that the seam is at the bottom (or as Zach says in one of the videos) wherever you find it fits best for your ears.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 2:49 PM Post #2,092 of 2,456

If you are careful and go slowly, you should be able to rotate the pads, without the pads falling off, so that the seam is at the bottom (or as Zach says in one of the videos) wherever you find it fits best for your ears.

I don't think the seam being upwards matters if he has checked that the thicker part of the pad is behind the ear? In that case, rotating it 180 degrees will make it "wrong". I swapped pads for like 2 years myself without knowing that the "official" way to align them was seam down, I just checked that the thicker part went behind the ear, 50% of the time that would be with seams up.

On a side note, playing with the different Bokeh pads certainly makes you pretty good at pad swapping lol. Swapping on the other ZMF's is so easy now.

Mar 25, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #2,093 of 2,456
I don't think the seam being upwards matters if he has checked that the thicker part of the pad is behind the ear? In that case, rotating it 180 degrees will make it "wrong". I swapped pads for like 2 years myself without knowing that the "official" way to align them was seam down, I just checked that the thicker part went behind the ear, 50% of the time that would be with seams up.

On a side note, playing with the different Bokeh pads certainly makes you pretty good at pad swapping lol. Swapping on the other ZMF's is so easy now.
I might be wrong and I am sure @zach915m will correct me if I am, but I think the Bokeh pads might be a tad thicker on the bottom, so not sure flipping them is ideal. Also, the seams and orientation is different for the dynamics vs. the Bokeh and Caldera pads.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #2,094 of 2,456
And the pads backwards?
Haha!!! I'm a dufus but guess what???? They still sound awesome!!!!! @zach915m can you please design some inverted/back to front/upside down pads?? I bet theyd still be wonderful haha!!!

Mar 25, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #2,095 of 2,456

Agree 💯with everything you just said!!! And yes, I was only looking at thick part being behind the ear. As they sound fantastic as is, I don't think I'll be swappthem over......

And who else has removed the mesh??

For me, treble in abundance and extra detail, clarity and separation (maybe placebo???) Without any negatives as far as I can tell. And bass is still there in spades!!!! These are great cans!!!!!

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 4:13 PM Post #2,096 of 2,456
Haha!!! I'm a dufus but guess what???? They still sound awesome!!!!! @zach915m can you please design some inverted/back to front/upside down pads?? I bet theyd still be wonderful haha!!!

Agree 💯with everything you just said!!! And yes, I was only looking at thick part being behind the ear. As they sound fantastic as is, I don't think I'll be swappthem over......

For me, treble in abundance and extra detail, clarity and separation (maybe placebo???) Without any negatives as far as I can tell. And bass is still there in spades!!!! These are great cans!!!!!
Hey you guys can use them however you'd like - the modularity of our stuff is definitely meant to cater to each individuals needs, so don't let me get in the way of enjoyment by over-defining anything. I'm here to help not to police!

:beerchug:

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Mar 25, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #2,097 of 2,456
Hey you guys can use them however you'd like - the modularity of our stuff is definitely meant to cater to each individuals needs, so don't let me get in the way of enjoyment by over-defining anything. I'm here to help not to police!

:beerchug:
Now I'm curious though, is there supposed to be a difference between the left and right pad? I've always assumed that with ZMF pads the left and right pad are pretty much identical, meaning it doesn't matter which goes on which side, you can always rotate them to get the best possible fit. But if what @Wes S said is true about the pads being thicker on the bottom (presumably at the seam), then there is a "left" and a "right" pad in a pair. And does this only apply to the Bokeh or all models?

I've used them mostly without the mesh so far, I'm back to the stock mesh now for comparison, can't make up my mind which I prefer, yet at least.

Mar 25, 2024 at 4:40 PM Post #2,098 of 2,456
Mar 25, 2024 at 5:07 PM Post #2,099 of 2,456
Interesting thread-within-a-thread here.

What I'd like to know is ... what does "Thank your mother for the rabbit" mean?

Mar 25, 2024 at 5:25 PM Post #2,100 of 2,456
Now I'm curious though, is there supposed to be a difference between the left and right pad? I've always assumed that with ZMF pads the left and right pad are pretty much identical, meaning it doesn't matter which goes on which side, you can always rotate them to get the best possible fit. But if what @Wes S said is true about the pads being thicker on the bottom (presumably at the seam), then there is a "left" and a "right" pad in a pair. And does this only apply to the Bokeh or all models?

I've used them mostly without the mesh so far, I'm back to the stock mesh now for comparison, can't make up my mind which I prefer, yet at least.
Very interesting and thanks. I'm getting more treble, detail and clarity (for me).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back