ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Oct 16, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #5,131 of 6,370
The cheaper tube amps I have heard tended to be noisy, which took away from the benefits of that tube goodness at least for me. Do agree that I will probably have to spend a little more to get a good tube amp. If I do get the Caldera, then I will have a mix of planers and dynamics so OTL will not be a good idea and I am running out of room on my desktop so I would prefer maybe two good amps.

Wasn't a LP fan and correct I did not find it very tubey sounding despite changing the tubes. It was l also less detailed than my THX. So I figured what's the point?
Good tube amplifiers do not always have to be expensive.
Often the implementation is the mainstay.
Looking for it can be a rabbit hole just like looking for tubes.
There are now good tube amps like the Echo,Icon Audio hp8,for a little more budget Cayhin ha3a and of course others where just around $1000 or slightly above.Also used Feliks Elise/Euforia are worth it.
The Icon is one of the sleppers that deserves more attention with its 2x6sn7 and 12at7 tube.
Of course depending on your budget you can go higher with tube amps but all good things come to an end.

More important is still tube availability combined with variety, so a lot of flexibility and possibilities remain open.
That is worth more than a super expensive amplifier with little variety and possibilities.
Because with the variety and possibilities you can just as well get a top end.

Cheap Chinese amplifiers except for the Cayin where well represented and various other manufacturers can also be very good.But from the cheapest side like Xudoo,Darkvoice ect are not really worthwhile amplifiers, because a lot has been saved on maximum profit and not in the service of the listener and amplifier are oriented.
You should keep that in mind, even with hybrid amplifiers.😉

Oct 17, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #5,132 of 6,370
A lot of talk about the Atrium on solid state vs tubes and thought I'd share a great experience I had listening to the Atrium last night...

I spent the evening rotating through all of my gear to see what I want to sell. I tried to get out of critical mode and into "what is actually moving me" mode, and the Atrium on my Woo WA-23 was so moving it made me just appreciate getting into this hobby and talking to you all about what we love. The sound was so damn good. I then listened to the Atrium on both my Oor and Enleum amps (decided to sell this for an Envy), and while they both were great in their ways - the Woo just brings a breath, a life to the sound that enhances all of the biocellulose driver's traits. So good in atmosphere, spacing, dynamics and a hard hitting yet breathing, lifelike bass that just moves.

I keep exploring other sounds, other headphones, all of which I feel I enjoy initially technically, but the Woo/Atrium (oh - I was using the iFi DAC - more atmosphere there vs. Qutest!) combo just moves me so much. Fun and emotional. Extra fun to appreciate a ZMF headphone after my always good experience meeting people in the ZMF room at CanJam SoCal and also talking with Zach, Bevin and Alex and Kevin there. This is the experience and sound I chase! Grateful.

A very interesting take! What do you think of the sound of Atrium (and Utopia) combined with Oor? I've been running my ha-6a mostly for my Atrium and Utopia but now I'm intrigued with running them through a solid state amp. Oor+Hypsos combo is definitely on top of my list

Oct 17, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #5,133 of 6,370
A very interesting take! What do you think of the sound of Atrium (and Utopia) combined with Oor? I've been running my ha-6a mostly for my Atrium and Utopia but now I'm intrigued with running them through a solid state amp. Oor+Hypsos combo is definitely on top of my list

Ferrum stacks definitely sounds ok for Atrium, but can't match the synergy of Atrium + HA-6A, not even with stock tubes.

Oct 17, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #5,134 of 6,370
I really enjoy Atrium and Utopia off of the Oor. They both seem to benefit from a more spacious DAC with the Oor (especially Utopia), so I use my iFi DAC. Oor's midrange is really beautiful, and its power output is great for dynamics. I actually preferred it over the Enleum. Enleum has an incredible low end and a certain "thing", but I preferred the spaciousness and midrange on the Oor. I may be selling mine (Oor) since I got the Envy, so if you're interested, let me know!

Oct 18, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #5,135 of 6,370
I have just received them. I was wondering if to go for standard version or for aged copper. Finally decided for the latter and it looks stunning. I can not wait to compare them to Verite.

Do they really need 200h burn in to play well?

Resized_20231012_121423.jpg

Oct 18, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #5,136 of 6,370
I have just received them. I was wondering if to go for standard version or for aged copper. Finally decided for the latter and it looks stunning. I can not wait to compare them to Verite.

Those looks great! Love how great ZMF's stock options look aside the limited editions.

And, yes, on the burn-in. I don't know if it was 200 hours for mine but there was a noticeable change in the sound at some point.

Oct 18, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #5,137 of 6,370

Cherry is stunning! You can definitely enjoy them right out of the box, but there'll be minor improvements during the burn in process. I noticed the most change after 50-ish hours. After 150-200 hours or so I couldn't notice much changing.

Oct 18, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #5,138 of 6,370

love the aged cherry, they look amazing, congrats on a killer set! for burn in i noticed the most significant changes within the first 50ish hours. After that it was more subtle as they mellowed out more.

Oct 18, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #5,139 of 6,370

I really like the aged cherry Atriums with the aged copper grills.

Oct 18, 2023 at 10:33 PM Post #5,140 of 6,370

What pads did you choose ? Let us know which you prefer

Oct 19, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #5,142 of 6,370
My first impressions with Atrium vs my Verite. Atrium are not burnt in at all so a lot may change but... Atrium are slower, have a bit more hights, closer midrange, shallower bas with more midbas. Verite are a bit warmer and sharper. Vocals are seductive with Atrium, but overall I would say timbre goes for Verite, which really present instruments as they are. Atrium are less warm but still very pleasant. Instruments are smooth but not as seductive as with Verite.

The ideal HP would be the combination of both i guess:) Timbre, speed and resolution of Verite but smoothness and midrange of Atrium. For sure Atrium are more universal and easy to listen. Verite need careful matching with an amp.

Really curious how this is going to change with listening.

Oct 19, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #5,143 of 6,370
Treat it as an acclimatization period and don't think about it. Give it a week or 2 of daily listening and see where that gets you.

Really curious how this is going to change with listening.
Both headphone compliments each other rather well despite being touted as warm sounding headphone and you've rightly noted the differences. I also found amps that sounds great with the Verite tend to work well with Atrium as well and vice versa. Depending on preference, the Atrium might appreciate a slightly more incisive amps with a squared transient response from a solid state amp like a GSX.

Still can't decide which I'd keep if forced to keep one. The Verite with universe pads have a slight edge but the Atrium is real close.

Oct 19, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #5,144 of 6,370
Depending on preference, the Atrium might appreciate a slightly more incisive amps with a squared transient response from a solid state amp like a GSX.
This is what I suspect as well. I have two OTL amps one is based on 6b4g tubes and it is really a ricing car and an OTL based on 6as7 type tubes. I suspect the latter may sound very well with Atrium with Tung Sol 5998 tubes, which are really punchy.

I have had very limited time to try, but really hard to find anything that sounds bad with Atrium.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back