ZMF Atrium Closed
Nov 9, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #2,176 of 3,201
Really far from the truth. The synergy between rigs, and the signal quality is much more important factor. The 600mW of Cayin HA-3A sound much better than 17W from Topping A70 Pro to drive Atrium (and Verite as well).
That’s 17W at 16R; it’s less than 1.5W @ 300R. Still more than enough, tho.

Nelson Pass has talked about this for years now, but power isn’t the determining factor for sound quality characteristics. It’s just one factor.

In the case of high-impedance cans, the damping factor is more likely to make the largest influence on the sound, and then the distortion profile, and then the phase of the signal. That’s oversimplifying it, but still seems to be the case, generally.

I won’t drag it out, but yeah, I agree with your sentiment @TheMiddleSky. At the end of the day, it’s about synergy with the transducer (& your own ears) over a few marketing specs.

After all, there’s a reason a cult following has formed for the First Watt amps. Otherwise we could’ve just stopped making amps and speakers back in the late 70’s. 🤑

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #2,177 of 3,201
I won’t drag it out, but yeah, I agree with your sentiment @TheMiddleSky. At the end of the day, it’s about synergy with the transducer (& your own ears) over a few marketing specs.
While I tire of the term “synergy” (ironic, as I am a marketer), it is a key term in audio system enjoyment. Maybe “harmony” is just as accurate.

Regardless, for ZMF (dynamic driver) fans who are willing to go the tube route, my mantra/formula remains:

R2R/ladder DAC + OTL tube amp + ZMF dynamic headphones = BLISS*

(*And, if you believe in the importance of good cabling, ZMF biocellulose driver headphones + good fusion copper/silver cables = extra helping of bliss. Same with a fuse upgrade to your OTL amp…)

Nov 9, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #2,178 of 3,201
Actually prefer Bliss with both Verite Open and AC to my ha 3a, which granted is no OTL. Still there are some really liquid sounding solid state amps with a warmish note. Bliss is an absolute joy with AC.

Very surprised by synergy between ibasso dx300 DAP and AC, currently on a trip with that combo, getting 75-80% of my rather higher endish home setup fun on the move with it, damn great.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #2,179 of 3,201
While I tire of the term “synergy” (ironic, as I am a marketer), it is a key term in audio system enjoyment. Maybe “harmony” is just as accurate.

Regardless, for ZMF (dynamic driver) fans who are willing to go the tube route, my mantra/formula remains:

R2R/ladder DAC + OTL tube amp + ZMF dynamic headphones = BLISS*

(*And, if you believe in the importance of good cabling, ZMF biocellulose driver headphones + good fusion copper/silver cables = extra helping of bliss. Same with a fuse upgrade to your OTL amp…)
How about "Curated Coupling"

Nov 9, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #2,180 of 3,201
85i5a7.jpg

(...I'm sorry, I had to.)

Nov 9, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #2,181 of 3,201
Nov 9, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #2,182 of 3,201
But then if you ever sell one of the pair you'd have to announce your Paltrowesque "conscious uncoupling" complete with a Goop magical egg. I fear what we'd get if she ever goes into selling headphones.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #2,183 of 3,201
But then if you ever sell one of the pair you'd have to announce your Paltrowesque "conscious uncoupling" complete with a Goop magical egg. I fear what we'd get if she ever goes into selling headphones.
I'm sure they would have various "energy crystals" integrated into the cups. Also their tagline would be, "they sound even better than my queefs!"

Holy Schiit, I can't believe I just wrote that. 🤣🤣🤣

Nov 9, 2023 at 9:39 PM Post #2,185 of 3,201

I think you guys created a real synergy here..

I'm sure they would have various "energy crystals" integrated into the cups. Also their tagline would be, "they sound even better than my queefs!"

Holy Schiit, I can't believe I just wrote that. 🤣🤣🤣

dude you cracked me up, thanks for the chuckle 😁

Nov 9, 2023 at 9:50 PM Post #2,186 of 3,201
I think you guys created a real synergy here..

dude you cracked me up, thanks for the chuckle 😁
I'm glad someone enjoyed that as much as I did writing it. Matt Stone and Trey Parker would be proud.

Nov 10, 2023 at 12:30 AM Post #2,187 of 3,201
I feel like the music type I’m least satisfied with OG Auteur is metal. Would AC or VC be the better choice for me? I’ve got both tube and solid state amps.
AC is great with metal. VC is average. The AC is just the better pair of headphones in my opinion.

Nov 10, 2023 at 12:38 AM Post #2,188 of 3,201
Nov 10, 2023 at 3:04 AM Post #2,189 of 3,201
AC is great with metal. VC is average. The AC is just the better pair of headphones in my opinion.

+1. I also prefer AC over VC with metal. I think VC is technically a ”better” headphone, but I prefer AC’s sound signature.

After years and years of listening to more traditional ”hifi” music, it’s been fun getting back to the roots and listening to proper metal.

Nov 10, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #2,190 of 3,201
Hey all, been a while (I'm too happy with my setup in general!)
I have a 2nd setup at my office, still running Eikons
I was thinking about getting some more VCs to use there.
That said, now wondering if I should get an AC just for the variety.
I listen to mostly electronic music. Anyone have general thoughts (I'm too lazy to read all the pages before!!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back