ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Oct 6, 2018 at 3:30 AM Post #16 of 6,751
Headband bend should address that. In fact I just compared my LCD3 to the Auteur (and had the Atticus before too) - the ZMF is more comfortable to me. Ear pads are snug and you hardly feel the weight of the headphones, in particular compared to the LCD. And that is with the new Audeze headband.

sorry to disagree to me the headband and all the moving parts were just too much to handle, and i tried all the headband bending suggestions, but no no no never again with that desgin

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 3:42 AM Post #17 of 6,751
Headband bend should address that. In fact I just compared my LCD3 to the Auteur (and had the Atticus before too) - the ZMF is more comfortable to me. Ear pads are snug and you hardly feel the weight of the headphones, in particular compared to the LCD. And that is with the new Audeze headband.
I too find the ZMF headphones among the most comfortable ‘big’ headphones I’ve worn, and that includes the LCD-3 with suspension even though the LCD-3 has the best-pads-in-the-world-ever :)

Oct 6, 2018 at 3:47 AM Post #18 of 6,751
sorry to disagree to me the headband and all the moving parts were just too much to handle, and i tried all the headband bending suggestions, but no no no never again with that desgin
No worries about disagreeing - beauty of the hobby. Whatever works. Could just be the shape of your head so you need to find what fits best.

I have a relatively small, narrow head so the clamp of the ZMF works whereas the width of the Audeze makes it sit heavy on the head and push down on earlobes if not positioned perfectly.

Oct 8, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #20 of 6,751
This is extremely tempting and I bet it sounds awesome but I think I'll keep my cocobolo Atticus. I don't mind the closed aspect of the Atticus, and I feel like it is truly a headphone lover's headphone. So many headphones try to be speakers for your ears, but I feel like the way that Atticus is tuned it leans into the fact that it is a headphone. Atticus has unique sound signature and a listening experience that you can't reproduce with speakers. I bet opening the enclosure up makes a difference in terms of soundstaging and separation, but I don't reach for the Atticus when I'm in the mood for soundstage, I reach for the Atticus when I'm in the mood for an intimate, dream-like listening experience.

Oct 8, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #21 of 6,751
This is extremely tempting and I bet it sounds awesome but I think I'll keep my cocobolo Atticus. I don't mind the closed aspect of the Atticus, and I feel like it is truly a headphone lover's headphone. So many headphones try to be speakers for your ears, but I feel like the way that Atticus is tuned it leans into the fact that it is a headphone. Atticus has unique sound signature and a listening experience that you can't reproduce with speakers. I bet opening the enclosure up makes a difference in terms of soundstaging and separation, but I don't reach for the Atticus when I'm in the mood for soundstage, I reach for the Atticus when I'm in the mood for an intimate, dream-like listening experience.
And now. . .I want them even more!

Oct 8, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #22 of 6,751
My impressions of the Aeolus was that it sounds like an open Atticus. It's pretty simple.

It does differ in that I heard less of a mid-bass hump, but it still had the Atticus mid-bass and mids flavor. In exchange for that, it gains a good amount of head stage and a touch of air.

Oct 8, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #23 of 6,751
My impressions of the Aeolus was that it sounds like an open Atticus. It's pretty simple.

It does differ in that I heard less of a mid-bass hump, but it still had the Atticus mid-bass and mids flavor. In exchange for that, it gains a good amount of head stage and a touch of air.
I've heard people say it has a bit more sub bass as well - did you find that to be the case? Or maybe just more noticeable due to less mid bass?

Thx

Oct 8, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #24 of 6,751
I've heard people say it has a bit more sub bass as well - did you find that to be the case? Or maybe just more noticeable due to less mid bass?

Thx

I'd be surprised if this was true. Usually a closed version of the same headphone design should be richer in the low end.

Oct 8, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #25 of 6,751

Thx
That's an interesting question, and I hesitate to say one way or another. I think either are valid possibilities.

You would think the open design would equate to less sub-bass, but the Verite disproves this handily, so it may be possible here as well.

Oct 9, 2018 at 12:32 AM Post #26 of 6,751
I'd be surprised if this was true. Usually a closed version of the same headphone design should be richer in the low end.
I'm guessing it's all in the tuning...the AFO/AFC is a good example.

I agree that's what I would intuitively think, I'm just asking because of impressions I've heard.

Once @zach915m recuperates from RMAF, maybe he can chime in. Or I'll find out whenever I get to hear them.

Oct 9, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #27 of 6,751
I'm guessing it's all in the tuning...the AFO/AFC is a good example.

I agree that's what I would intuitively think, I'm just asking because of impressions I've heard.

Once @zach915m recuperates from RMAF, maybe he can chime in. Or I'll find out whenever I get to hear them.

I'm sure tuning is a huge factor and my comment doesn't always hold. Looking forward to Zach's comments.

Oct 9, 2018 at 1:42 AM Post #28 of 6,751
Look forward both to the maker's comments as well as future impressions in quiet environments where people get to use familiar material within the context of their system. However I would not be too surprised if it does, in fact, dig a little deeper down low (whilst cleaning up mid-bass bloat). I recall various comments around headphones such as the Fostex TH-X00 which apparently even deeper bass and rumble with cups removed.

Oct 9, 2018 at 1:51 AM Post #29 of 6,751
Would be very interested in some sort of combo discount for this with the Verite. Was there anything like that when the Atticus and Eikon came out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back