ZMF Aegis Official Thread
May 20, 2024 at 8:00 PM Post #661 of 1,046
Nice!

I would love to know how those TS 6SU7GTY sound compared to the 5691?

I am looking at both of those at the moment, and not sure which way to go just yet, so any info on how they compare would be much appreciated.

Sure! I'm going to be lazy and quote myself from the DIY thread lol.

I've never really compared them side-by-side until today. Overall my impressions is the 6SU7GTY is a little more forward and intimate whereas the 5691 is more laid back and diffuse. I think the 5691 may have a slightly larger stage, but the more forward sound of the 6SU7GTY gives the impression of a slightly higher degree of clarity. Honestly, they are more similar than different, you can't go wrong with either one, I'd probably have a very hard time telling them apart in a blind test.

May 20, 2024 at 8:03 PM Post #663 of 1,046

No problem. While they're both on the pricey side, the 5691 are definitely the more available of the two. And they're red, so that's pretty cool.

May 20, 2024 at 10:48 PM Post #664 of 1,046
I think the input tube selection of choice varies with the DAC you're using. If you're using a DAC that stages far and wide (e.g. Rockna Wavedream), having a 5691 Red Base on the input can push the presentation too diffused. The target for me is to get a wrap-around holographic soundstage without it being too diffused or too closed in. 6SU7GTY is also slightly brighter than the 5691 but a lot more closed in hence I would prefer this to the 5691 if using a DAC like the Wavedream so some careful matching needs to be considered to get that :ok_hand: sound :)

May 21, 2024 at 2:19 AM Post #665 of 1,046
I think the input tube selection of choice varies with the DAC you're using. If you're using a DAC that stages far and wide (e.g. Rockna Wavedream), having a 5691 Red Base on the input can push the presentation too diffused. The target for me is to get a wrap-around holographic soundstage without it being too diffused or too closed in. 6SU7GTY is also slightly brighter than the 5691 but a lot more closed in hence I would prefer this to the 5691 if using a DAC like the Wavedream so some careful matching needs to be considered to get that :ok_hand: sound :)
I agree with that.The VEGA has a big, deep soundstage...not the biggest out there but certainly bigger than the TT2 I had. For a lot of combinations / genres the 5691 is perfect but I have noticed some combos the music feels a bit stretched. When I popped in the ECC35 it took some adjusting too but the stage became more spherical and the imaging 3d and precise. More natural in those instances. Also plumped up the bass and texture.

I have the 5691's back in at the moment listening to some EDM, trance etc and they'll be hard to beat for those. Finding two input tubes that offer very different presentations is certainly useful to have if you like a varied mix of genres etc.

Last edited:
May 21, 2024 at 5:04 AM Post #666 of 1,046
You can also shape the sound with the output and rectifier tubes. You are not just stuck with the input tube and your DAC's signature, when trying to shape the sound.

May 21, 2024 at 5:26 AM Post #667 of 1,046
You can also shape the sound with the output and rectifier tubes. You are not just stuck with the input tube and your DAC's signature, when trying to shape the sound.
The DAC just gives you a different starting point. At least that's what I assumed he meant... Mix and match all three tube types to suit your preferences and headphones. So many ways to achieve the perfect (preferred) sound.

May 21, 2024 at 6:49 AM Post #668 of 1,046
The DAC just gives you a different starting point. At least that's what I assumed he meant... Mix and match all three tube types to suit your preferences and headphones. So many ways to achieve the perfect (preferred) sound.
Yep, lots of variables and options to play with, and that's why I love tube amps. Get a good DAC, and then roll on until you find your sound. Coming at it from 3 different angles (output, input, and rectifier), certainly gives one enough options to get there.

Last edited:
May 21, 2024 at 9:15 AM Post #669 of 1,046
Got my Fivre 807 today, you can tell how new the tube is from the non-yellowed stamps.

DSC_1305.pngDSC_1294.png

Had to let them run in, but initial impressions are detailed and "clean", a bit less meat on the bone than says the el39 or el156 - but the way they present background/ambient cues are very addictive.

Also I did not know the anode cap on 807 is much bigger than the el38/el39

May 21, 2024 at 9:25 AM Post #670 of 1,046
Got my Fivre 807 today, you can tell how new the tube is from the non-yellowed stamps.

DSC_1305.pngDSC_1294.png

Had to let them run in, but initial impressions are detailed and "clean", a bit less meat on the bone than says the el39 or el156 - but the way they present background/ambient cues are very addictive.

Also I did not know the anode cap on 807 is much bigger than the el38/el39
I just received the adapters today... as you say, the cap is double the size of the ones on the EL38 & EL39's. They'll be the last adapters I'll receive from xulingmrs 😔

They look very nice tubes indeed... mint condition! I'll be interested to hear how they compare to the EL38!

May 21, 2024 at 10:07 AM Post #671 of 1,046
I just received the adapters today... as you say, the cap is double the size of the ones on the EL38 & EL39's. They'll be the last adapters I'll receive from xulingmrs 😔

They look very nice tubes indeed... mint condition! I'll be interested to hear how they compare to the EL38!

I don't have an 807 tubes at the moment, but I snuck in an order for xulingmrs adapters just to make sure.

May 21, 2024 at 10:20 AM Post #672 of 1,046
I don't have an 807 tubes at the moment, but I snuck in an order for xulingmrs adapters just to make sure.
Same here... none for now but maybe next month. I think I may have used up all my tube purchase tokens this month 🤔😂

May 21, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #674 of 1,046

Users who are viewing this thread

Back