ZMF Aegis Official Thread
May 14, 2024 at 2:37 PM Post #496 of 903
Yeah… here you go. Still waiting for the logo badge that will go above the on off switch but all done other than that!

IMG_6653.jpeg

IMG_6657.jpeg

IMG_6635.jpeg
1Q8e.gif

May 14, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #497 of 903
Will the Aegis drive low impedance planars well? Won’t be my primary set up but even the lowest output impedance seems a bit high for things like DCA cans.

May 14, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #498 of 903
Will the Aegis drive low impedance planars well? Won’t be my primary set up but even the lowest output impedance seems a bit high for things like DCA cans.
I don't see why not. DCA Stealth for example is 23ohms.

The Aegis is Output Impedance Range: 1/4" Out: Low: 5ohms, Med: 11ohms, High: 31ohms. XLR Out: Low: 11ohms Med: 28ohms High: 85ohms

May 14, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #499 of 903
I’m running Meze Elites on the low impedance setting (diy version) without any issues… I believe they’re 32ohms.

May 14, 2024 at 4:01 PM Post #500 of 903

That's a good question, I think if there's one headphone type that would push it hard, it would be a low impedance (less than 32ohm), low sensitivity planar, like the DCA Stealth / Expanse. That is really the toughest load for any amplifier, a low impedance, high current driver. TRS low setting at 5ohms output impedance would get a 4:1 damping ratio, which might get the job done if DCA stuff isn't too current hungry. If that's your main headphone, might be one to wait on for reviews / CanJam impressions, I'm sure someone will give it a try.

May 14, 2024 at 4:10 PM Post #501 of 903
The only catch is with some of the lower power tubes (like 6V6), you might want to use a higher voltage drop rectifier than the stock GZ34, for example 5U4, 5R4, or 5Y3. This will extend the life of the 6V6. All of the others are high power tubes and will be fine with any rectifier.
Is there any downside to using one of the "higher voltage drop" rectifiers with the high power output tubes? I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to invest in a nice GZ34 and a nice 5U4. If I can get away with having just one nice 5U4 rectifier to use with any type of output tubes, I might go that route.

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #502 of 903
Is there any downside to using one of the "higher voltage drop" rectifiers with the high power output tubes? I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to invest in a nice GZ34 and a nice 5U4. If I can get away with having just one nice 5U4 or 5R4 rectifier to use with any type of output tubes, I might go that route.

No not really, it just changes the output tube bias point a bit. Peak power output may go down some, but for driving ZMFs, there is a huge excess of headroom.

May 14, 2024 at 7:40 PM Post #505 of 903
More output tubes arrived today, and it's Mullard time. :grin:

1000005622.jpg

1000005625.jpg

1000005629.jpg

This pair is from 55', and they look brand new. Heck, they look like they were made yesterday, and you got to love that! I am quite excited about these, and let's see if they sound as good as they look.

More to come. . .

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 8:35 PM Post #507 of 903
That's a good question, I think if there's one headphone type that would push it hard, it would be a low impedance (less than 32ohm), low sensitivity planar, like the DCA Stealth / Expanse. That is really the toughest load for any amplifier, a low impedance, high current driver. TRS low setting at 5ohms output impedance would get a 4:1 damping ratio, which might get the job done if DCA stuff isn't too current hungry. If that's your main headphone, might be one to wait on for reviews / CanJam impressions, I'm sure someone will give it a try.
Same question re LCD 5 (90/mW and 14ohm) if anyone tries that with the Aegis. Thanks :)

May 14, 2024 at 9:06 PM Post #508 of 903
Same question re LCD 5 (90/mW and 14ohm) if anyone tries that with the Aegis. Thanks :)

Same as the DCA stuff, would want to use the low setting on TRS out. They're more sensitive than the DCA, the volume will be there, just a matter of how the LCD-5 responds to a 3:1 damping ratio. Could be great, but we'll have to wait for someone to try it.

May 14, 2024 at 10:57 PM Post #509 of 903
Has anyone besides Zach heard the $199.99 “TAD Bundle” of tubes that’s available to order with the Aegis?

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 11:01 PM Post #510 of 903

SET have no strict damping factor rules, but XLR would be the best jack one for DCA cans as they're low in impedance and low in sensitivity

Users who are viewing this thread

Back