Zhaolu 2.5C vs. Auzentech XMeridian
Mar 22, 2007 at 5:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ecclesand

Headphoneus Supremus
I posted this in the Computer As Source forum but didn't get much response. I already own a stock Zhaolu 2.5C with the upgraded discrete amp. Now...only considering the DAC on each...would the Auzentech Meridian give me similar sound quality as the stock Zhaolu 2.5C?

I'm almost convinced that I need a good amp to get the most out of my 325i and I don't think the upgraded discrete amp is doing it for me. I'm asking this question because I don't know whether I should keep the Zhaolu and get a cheaper amp OR sell the Zhaolu, get the Auzentech and get a better amp.
confused.gif

Mar 22, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Auzentech Meridian give me similar sound quality as the stock Zhaolu 2.5C?
question because I don't know whether I should keep the Zhaolu and get a cheaper amp OR sell the Zhaolu, get the Auzentech and get a better amp.
confused.gif

I don't know the 2.5c .. I own DAC (Citypulse DA7.2x+txco clock considered to be better to the Zhaolu) and X-meridian 7.1 + LM4562 opamp.

You can use headphone directly on the soundcard without problem. HD650 or Beyer 2005 DT990 250ohms are fantastic.

I found using DAC give me inferior sound quality than using headphone directly on the soundcard.

My DAC require a lot of heat up to play OK. Soundcard play fantastic as soon my computer is ready.

Soundcard vs DAC ... I can tell ... hand down better for the soundcard.

For 150$ ... give it a try at least. It's only my opinion ...

Why I still have my DAC ... don't know ... will go on sale very soon! :xf_cool:

Mar 23, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #3 of 12
Never heard the Meridian but I assure you that no soundcard ever made will match up with a decent amp. No way the Senn 650 is properly amped out of a soundcard(sorry but that's the truth I tried it lol)

The upgraded amp on the Zhalou will work fine for easy to drive headphones like your Grados. However, source to your Z is important. What are you feeding it with aka lossless onboard sound or?

Mar 23, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Never heard the Meridian but I assure you that no soundcard ever made will match up with a decent amp. No way the Senn 650 is properly amped out of a soundcard(sorry but that's the truth I tried it lol)

The upgraded amp on the Zhalou will work fine for easy to drive headphones like your Grados. However, source to your Z is important. What are you feeding it with aka lossless onboard sound or?

I'm using an AV-710 just as a digital transport to the Zhaolu and all my files are either flac or 256k VBR MP3 (from emusic.com). If I do switch from the Zhaolu to the XMeridian, I still plan to invest in a good amp, because you're right...a soundcard isn't going to drive headphones better than an amp...not on ANY day!
icon10.gif

Mar 24, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

a soundcard isn't going to drive headphones better than an amp...not on ANY day!
icon10.gif

BAH! :xf_cool:

BTW, I own MPX3-slam as amp and using headphone directly on soundcard still very good.

1800$ amp is better of course .. more 3D (instrument seperation, depth). Tube's coloration are nice for the bass region and highs.

Soundcard bass is strong and deep (more than using my amp).

Peaple are biased with soundcard because they only know on-board or soundblaster ... X-meridian is far better ... :xf_cool:

Mar 24, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by pompon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BAH! :xf_cool:

BTW, I own MPX3-slam as amp and using headphone directly on soundcard still very good.

1800$ amp is better of course .. more 3D (instrument seperation, depth). Tube's coloration are nice for the bass region and highs.

Soundcard bass is strong and deep (more than using my amp).

Peaple are biased with soundcard because they only know on-board or soundblaster ... X-meridian is far better ... :xf_cool:

Bass is better on the X-meridian than your amp? Wow...maybe I need to get one and try it out.

Mar 24, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Bass is better on the X-meridian than your amp? Wow...maybe I need to get one and try it out.

Absolutly!

Tube bass vs solid state bass are different. Solid state have always tighter and deeper bass.

It's easy to add an amp later ... a good soundcard is allways a must have anyway.

Mar 24, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #8 of 12
thing with Xmeridian there main selling point is that it has uber strong analogue outputs. Its way stronger then my Xfi cards. Yes also stronger than the Elite PROs
smily_headphones1.gif

what is adequate for headphones it´s different for different peoples. Some feel they will have to spend 1500$ on an amp to get good sound others are not that crazy about their sound
smily_headphones1.gif

I enjoyed my 750 tons unamped out of my X-fis. the difference to my pimeta is not big at all. I will see when I get the heed though lol.

But the Xmeridian I had to run the audio at 15 % or something for normal listening levels.

Mar 24, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by pompon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know the 2.5c .. I own DAC (Citypulse DA7.2x+txco clock considered to be better to the Zhaolu) and X-meridian 7.1 + LM4562 opamp.

You can use headphone directly on the soundcard without problem. HD650 or Beyer 2005 DT990 250ohms are fantastic.

I found using DAC give me inferior sound quality than using headphone directly on the soundcard.

My DAC require a lot of heat up to play OK. Soundcard play fantastic as soon my computer is ready.

Soundcard vs DAC ... I can tell ... hand down better for the soundcard.

For 150$ ... give it a try at least. It's only my opinion ...

Why I still have my DAC ... don't know ... will go on sale very soon! :xf_cool:

DAMN! Is the citypulse really that bad? I just bought the DA2.03e, basically a DA7.3x with USB in, it cost me around 600CADs in all.
frown.gif

Maybe i could have bought it from you. Are you in Montreal? Such a shame.

Mar 24, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thing with Xmeridian there main selling point is that it has uber strong analogue outputs. Its way stronger then my Xfi cards. Yes also stronger than the Elite PROs
smily_headphones1.gif

what is adequate for headphones it´s different for different peoples. Some feel they will have to spend 1500$ on an amp to get good sound others are not that crazy about their sound
smily_headphones1.gif

I enjoyed my 750 tons unamped out of my X-fis. the difference to my pimeta is not big at all. I will see when I get the heed though lol.

But the Xmeridian I had to run the audio at 15 % or something for normal listening levels.

I'd definitely be interested in hearing your impressions and comparison of the SQ from the X-fi vs. the Heed....
biggrin.gif

Mar 24, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #11 of 12
I hope there is a difference. Quite a difference from an Xfi to an Elite PRO. There is also an improvement with the Pimeta. But I hope for a bigger jump with the Heed
smily_headphones1.gif

Biggest jump for me was definiatly going from the DT 770/a900 to Proline 750
smily_headphones1.gif

I would probably rather spend the money on say an Edition 9 then a super DAC and amp for the same amount of money
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spare Tire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DAMN! Is the citypulse really that bad? I just bought the DA2.03e, basically a DA7.3x with USB in, it cost me around 600CADs in all.
frown.gif

Maybe i could have bought it from you. Are you in Montreal? Such a shame.

I am from Quebec.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back