Zhaolu 2.5c Question
Mar 2, 2007 at 4:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ecclesand

Headphoneus Supremus
I just picked up a Zhaolu 2.5c with the upgraded discrete amplifier and I'm loving it! Do most Zhaolu owners just leave the unit on all the time or turn it off when not in use? I'm inclined to leave it on, but wanted to hear other folks thoughts on the matter.

Please talk amongst yourselves...
tongue.gif

Mar 2, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #3 of 8
Doug,
I cant speak for the zhao but I had the same question and asked both the guys at Benchmark (as I was contemplating buying the DAC1) and also at Lavry (I bought the DA10). In both cases I was told that leaving it on 24/7 wasnt a big deal. In my own experience with electronic equipment (computers, I have 5) I leave my computer rigs running 24/7 with out issue. I know this dosnt directly address the Zhao but I hope it helps. By the way your Zhao has about 75 hours on it. (in answer to your PM).

Mar 2, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #4 of 8
I asked a similar question regarding my NAIM a long time ago, I was informed that it isn't an issue although you would need to replace the caps after X amount of time.

The X in my case with regards to the NAIM was 10 years, this is what NAIM apparently recommend - PinkFloyd said it's easy to do although I would seek the help of someone else with the replacement.

I would have thought other products would be the same if they have half decent components :unsure:

Mar 2, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dork Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
although you would need to replace the caps after X amount of time.

The X in my case with regards to the NAIM was 10 years

NAIM must be part of the space program... 10 years is over 87,000 hours.
eggosmile.gif
That's a tremendous reliability landmark for any component - especially those in the power supply...
Failures may not have a puff of smoke attached to them. Sound can degrade slowly and you'd think that all is OK. Just check leaks on coupling caps in your average vintage tube gear...
very_evil_smiley.gif

My recommendation is to turn off any electronic component if you're not using it in the next 2-3 hours. Leave it on otherwise. Most units are not sensitive to power-on current surge, so forget that myth. Most components do need 30 minutes to an hour for warm-up, but that doesn't mean it has to be on over night because you want to listen to it the next day when you come back from work...
wink.gif

You'll be doing yourself a favor and save the environment at the same time. That's two birds in one shot - how can you go wrong?!
icon10.gif

Mar 2, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #6 of 8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back