Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon & Aluminium IEM) thread
May 2, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #1,111 of 6,090
I'm prepared for the Tenore apocalypse. I have 3, lol.

Tried Sony hybrids today. Not bad but more of a sloping FR with more bass body than the S200's. I think I'll go thru my tip arsenal and try to find something between the two. I like the upper mid airiness of the S200 for distortion guitar better but did enjoy the bit extra bass body of the hybrids.

May 2, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #1,112 of 6,090
So how is the bass on the Tenore as opposed to the Basso? Obviously it won't probably hit the same levels but if the bass is kind of close but there's improvements in other areas it may be what I'm looking for; I enjoy(ed) my Basso until the right side completely died on me and I was looking for something that fit my ears just as well but was better with female vocals in pop/other kinds of music but also able to hold their own with dance music and such like as well as piano music (Been listening to a lot of Yiruma lately, reminded myself how phenomenal his music is, Poem, River Flows In You, Maybe, Kiss The Rain to name a few)

May 2, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #1,113 of 6,090
funny how the Poll Results are getting even now...
rolleyes.gif

May 2, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #1,114 of 6,090
Found this gem last week when looking around an audio store (the tenore i mean). Trying stuff here and there and none took my attention, until the clerk asked me to try these baby.

First impression "damn these sound gorgeous". The sound does feels "expensive" for me. When the clerk told me that it cost "only" $70 it completely took me by surprise. I expect somewhere around $150-200 for the sound. The overall sound signature, the amazing vocals, treble's is pretty accurate not too bright and not hurtin my ear. And the bass,, It might not be much in quantity but I believe the quality is very good. 

The staging is also really really wide. I almost cannot find any complaints for the price tag. I even prefer them over some other more expensive IEM.

I finally decided to buy them today for closer look. I'm trying to compare them to my UE11, it is not surprising that it lacks the amazing sub bass punch of the UE 11 (the price tag and number of driver simply don't lie). The details was also lacking compared to UE11, but I think its still fine. The tuning and presentation is just amazing on the Tenores. The sound stage of the tenores also wider and deeper.

UE 11 has the wow factor and i loved them, but recently because of my TH600 and PHVI listening to them feels so suffocating because of the sound stage. with the Tenore's I don't feel so... I might be biased because its so fun to find an amazing price to performance ratio earphone though :D... but yeah love the tenore

May 5, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #1,115 of 6,090
How does the Tenore improve with burn-in? I received them today, listened for a few minutes, and I think they have a treble spike somewhere.

I gave the Tenores a notch up in the 0.4 khz region on my Sony Walkman and a notch down at 2.5 khz to help

p.s. just for the fact that they require EQ means, to me, that they do not rival the GR07 or BA200

May 5, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #1,116 of 6,090
I hear the Tenore midrange and treble strikingly similar to the MH1, which is pretty flat in those areas. You don't see the housings sticking out of my ears from the front, they pretty much disappear. Not sure if insertion depth will help you or not.

I see the gr07 and ba200 are recessed in that area a little bit, so maybe that's just what you're used too and you'll get used to more presence there?. Just some thoughts. Anyway, at least they're only about $50 after handling and shipping fees!

I've been listening to the Tenore just about everyday, since first receiving them, and happily chose to listen to it over everything in my collection, and they hold their own quite well against them all.

May 5, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #1,117 of 6,090
How does the Tenore improve with burn-in? I received them today, listened for a few minutes, and I think they have a treble spike somewhere.

I gave the Tenores a notch up in the 0.4 khz region on my Sony Walkman and a notch down at 2.5 khz to help

p.s. just for the fact that they require EQ means, to me, that they do not rival the GR07 or BA200

I agree with shotgunshane. I find tenores the flattest sounding earphones I have ever owned. I think the most noticable difference between tenores and mh1c is midbass quantity. On mh1c I can notice how midbass flows into midrange, making them sound less clear compared to tenores.

May 5, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #1,118 of 6,090
I'll give a more fair comparison tomorrow. I was only listening indoors, which is abnormal and EQ'd for comfort 
tongue.gif
 I noticed too that like the MH1, the microdrivers need a couple notches more volume. I may have been listening to them too low. Again, these were right out of the box, no burn-in 

May 5, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #1,119 of 6,090
I'm thinking the MH1 has just a bit more treble emphasis than the Tenores. Anyone else experiencing this? I'm still messing with tips and fit. I'm assuming a shallow fit should slightly increase treble, but the difference seems to be quite minor so far.

May 5, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #1,121 of 6,090
I'm thinking the MH1 has just a bit more treble emphasis than the Tenores. Anyone else experiencing this? I'm still messing with tips and fit. I'm assuming a shallow fit should slightly increase treble, but the difference seems to be quite minor so far.

Are you using stock tips? If so try something a bit wider bore. Sounds very, very similar to me.

May 6, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #1,123 of 6,090
  I'll give a more fair comparison tomorrow. I was only listening indoors, which is abnormal and EQ'd for comfort 
tongue.gif
 I noticed too that like the MH1, the microdrivers need a couple notches more volume. I may have been listening to them too low. Again, these were right out of the box, no burn-in 

I listen to them without EQ.  Burn them in!  Also, try Meelectronics double flange tips:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140821138554

I preferred Tenore to both GR07 MK2 and BA200 because the bass has more punch than both and the highs are less sibilant compared to GR07

May 6, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #1,124 of 6,090
May 6, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #1,125 of 6,090
For some reason today they are sounding a whole lot better!

Maybe the extra notch at 0.4 khz is a personal preference. Up to this point, the only IEM I've had to use it on is the ECCI PR401, which has a bit of a V-shape. I think a bump in that region makes it a bit more involving or I could be more sensitive to that region being recessed. I'm no longer using the EQ at 2.5 khz 
bigsmile_face.gif

@shotgunshane either recessed, or with the difference the Tenores present, just a livelier presentation in those regions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back