Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon & Aluminium IEM) thread
Jun 23, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #3,032 of 6,090
From the snare-drum? Maybe, but its higher pitched and only noticable when the cymbals are playing.

It's lack of decay at least in my case. I hear the high hat as a tsss tss sound but compared to more treble focused iems it has less decay. A friend of mine is a drummer and i can tell you that the Tenore rendition, while not as ear pleasing, is actually closer to the real thing.

Jun 23, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #3,033 of 6,090

Yes, excuse me. It's difficult, but I'll try to explain.
Listen to the intro of Wolfmother - The Joker & The Thief. Here you hear the hi-hat before the rest of the drum-kit kicks in.
What I mean is the following:

Sibilant (like the Xears XPA2Pro): sounds like: Sshhhh sh sh sh sh Sshhh

Natural ( like the Xiaomi Pistons): sounds like: Tsss ts ts ts ts Tss

Overly smooth (like the Tenores or the MH1C): SSssss ss ss ss Ssss

Now the grainy part; Imagine the same hi-hat, but now, someone left a lot of tiny steel beans on it. every time you hit the hi-hat, the beans "rattle" a bit.
I don't know if other people hear this too, but it is evident to my ears and really annoying.

My Tenore renders the hi-hat how you describe "Natural". I also don't believe I'm hearing the "grainy" aspect you mention. This is out of an iBasso D10 (connected via S/PDIF), and my Tenore is currently using small wide-bore tips.

Jun 23, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #3,034 of 6,090
The ostry seem to have a possible slight peak or area that is "hot" somewhere, relatively speaking that is. Or so i thought initially. I'm not sure yet. The tenore treble sounds more wispy and swishy in comparison. Again, relatively speaking, and not in a bad swishy way, just tonally. Both sound incredible. The ostry do tend to render metallic noises more believably though. As far as i can tell. I need a lot more time, and my impressions may change...

I may have to sell one of my beloved reference tenores to get an ostry so i have more time to compare. :-o omg, did luisdent just really say that?!? Blasphemy! :wink:

Tbh, I didn't think that I would see the luisdent-meister saying that! Not because the kc06's aren't worthy (they are), but because I thought that you might be just a wee bit biased towards your 25 pairs of tenores lol. So, it's a testament to both your open-mindedness, and to how good the kc06's are (even if they end up not being the ones for you). Kudos!
:beerchug:  

I'd like to think i'm very open minded. But i get very passionate. :wink:

luisdent, does the kc06 match the tenores in 3Dness/soundstage? Because that's what impressed me the most about the Tenores. Probably one of (if not the best) the best i've heard in a single driver iem...

I almost think the ostry is better here. Need more time though.

Smooth is the opposite of grainy. Can you clarify what you mean?

Yes, excuse me. It's difficult, but I'll try to explain.
Listen to the intro of Wolfmother - The Joker & The Thief. Here you hear the hi-hat before the rest of the drum-kit kicks in.
What I mean is the following:

Sibilant (like the Xears XPA2Pro): sounds like: Sshhhh sh sh sh sh Sshhh

Natural ( like the Xiaomi Pistons): sounds like: Tsss ts ts ts ts Tss

Overly smooth (like the Tenores or the MH1C): SSssss ss ss ss Ssss

Now the grainy part; Imagine the same hi-hat, but now, someone left a lot of tiny steel beans on it. every time you hit the hi-hat, the beans "rattle" a bit.
I don't know if other people hear this too, but it is evident to my ears and really annoying.

I've found excellent treble "extension" can almost sound grainy if you don't realize what you're hearing is more subtle high frequencies you're not used to hearing. The tenores go way up there. Perhaps the metal beads you're hearing simply aren't rendered on the other phones, because it is higher treble? Just an idea...

Jun 23, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #3,035 of 6,090
I'd like to think i'm very open minded. But i get very passionate. :wink:
I almost think the ostry is better here. Need more time though.
I've found excellent treble "extension" can almost sound grainy if you don't realize what you're hearing is more subtle high frequencies you're not used to hearing. The tenores go way up there. Perhaps the metal beads you're hearing simply aren't rendered on the other phones, because it is higher treble? Just an idea...

Grainy treble could also be indicative of an improperly vented driver, as the driver isn't able to move properly. This problem would become worse over long listening sessions.

If Pastapipo has a second Tenore (he should lol) he could try comparing their volumes. The problematic Tenore should be quieter.

Jun 23, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #3,039 of 6,090
$45 for unbelievable performance competing with the dunu dn2000 and higher, to my ears the have the perfect treble abit more extended vs the tenore more foward midrange and bass is more linear plus bigger soundstage then my dunu dn2000:scream:

Where buy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back