Zen Vision:M firmware update troubles
Feb 5, 2007 at 4:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

soloz2

Headphoneus Supremus
I just got my new Vision:M and tried to update the firmware so I can have the added featuers like FM recording and album art. however, the firmware installer is unable to recognize that my vision is connected to my computer. I have tried on 3 different computers with the same results and the same thing happens with my wife's vision. I contacted Creative (both email and phone) and they gave me directions that I followed and all it acomplished was to delete the firmware off my vision and still not let me install new.... so one of the visions is useless now.

Anyone have any suggestions... aside from getting a Zune? (I don't want an ipod)

Feb 5, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #3 of 14
yes, it's fully charged and the vision recognizes that it is docked, the sync manager recognizes that it is docked and windows recognizes the player. The only thing that doesn't recognize it is the firmware update utility

Feb 6, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #4 of 14
Had something similar with my muvo - except it looked dead, wouldn't even
turn on. Maybe try this with the dead one first.
What I did was, reboot with it in the usb port (tried to see if I could force-
flash it in linux, as I could at least see it in linux, unlike windows, where it
was not visible; but the installer was windows-only, so I rebooted back into
windows xp), and started the updater again. After a few minutes, the
Windows installer popped up, then clicked continue, and it went on to restore
it. After the win installer finished, I got the familiar usb ping, and once again
it was recognized as a Removable drive.
The fw updater then continued - seemed frozen, but finished after a couple
of minutes. Then came the "Old fw version: xx.xx New fw version: xx.xx
Format?" screen, and after the format, it was once again functional, even
though I thought it was dead for 3 months...
blink.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2007 at 4:53 AM Post #6 of 14
Just curious, but did you install the Media Explorer off the CD along with the drivers? Maybe that might be needed before you can update your firmware. Since it would just find it as a MTP device and not your Zen, hence the firmware updater not finding it. Just something to check....

Feb 6, 2007 at 4:56 AM Post #7 of 14
I'm currently browsing anythinbutipod right now. I did install the drivers from the CD. I didn't install the rest of the Creative software though... Creative has so much 'stuff' they want you to install

i found an update for media explorer and one for the sync manager. Maybe that will help

Feb 6, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm currently browsing anythinbutipod right now. I did install the drivers from the CD. I didn't install the rest of the Creative software though... Creative has so much 'stuff' they want you to install

i found an update for media explorer and one for the sync manager. Maybe that will help

Do you have the Media Explorer icon in your windows explorer?

Feb 6, 2007 at 5:10 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have the Media Explorer icon in your windows explorer?

yep! I actually have 2, one for my Micro Photo and one for my Vision:M

hmm... i just doublechecked the sync manager and it says there isn't a player connected. I'm downloading the update as I type this. the media explorer is currently not detecting the player either... i wonder if it is bc of the firmware issue?

Feb 6, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #10 of 14
hmm, just for ****z and giggles try and remove your Muvo and just have the Zen installed, then try the update again. See if that helps...maybe its not finding the zen, but instead your Muvo....

Feb 6, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #12 of 14
I would still try and remove it so just the ZVM shows up....then try the updater. Btw, epizenter.com is a much better forum for the Zen.

Try that and let me know...

Feb 6, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #14 of 14
awesome....glad to hear it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back