Zen Mini Torii SE Amp by Decware
Apr 24, 2010 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

mrarroyo

Headphoneus Supremus
Any users of this amp? I am looking for a tube amp for the K1000 and although I was looking at 300B and 2A3 type amps I found the Mini Torii SE which is based on the 6V6. I have always loved the sound of the 6V6 from my days of using the Fender Champ and various amps by Ampeg with my guitar.

So has any here heard this amp, specially with a K1000. Thanks.

Audiophile Tube Amps and Tube Gear from DECWARE

minisex580.jpg

0036.jpg

May 7, 2010 at 7:33 AM Post #2 of 27
Hey Miguel:

I have owned two so far. I bought the prototype unit and later sold it and bought a factory production model. I have posted extensive impressions over on the DECWARE forum under my user name here. You owe it to yourself to listen to this one.   

Nov 26, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #5 of 27

Quote:
Skylab has one and rated it highly with the HE6

Yes, I know. The thing is can the mod be used with dynamic 'phones? I'm looking at getting an amp for my T1, but I'm thinking about adding the HE6 and don't want to buy two separate amps... well not yet
very_evil_smiley.gif

edit: yes I've emailed Mr Deckert - no reply 
        yes I've started a thread on the Decware forum - no response 

What's a guy got to do to spend some some money these days 
frown.gif

Nov 26, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #6 of 27

Quote:
The thing is can the mod be used with dynamic 'phones? I'm looking at getting an amp for my T1, but I'm thinking about adding the HE6 and don't want to buy two separate amps... well not yet
very_evil_smiley.gif

The sensetivity of the phones are very different. The T1 is 102 dB and the HE-6 is 83.5 dB, which means that the T1 will pick up a lot of noise from a speakeramplifier. At least that´s what happened when I connected my T1 to a speakeramplifier. But I don´t know if the resistor mod can change that.

Nov 27, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #7 of 27

Quote:
Quote:
The sensetivity of the phones are very different. The T1 is 102 dB and the HE-6 is 83.5 dB, which means that the T1 will pick up a lot of noise from a speakeramplifier. At least that´s what happened when I connected my T1 to a speakeramplifier. But I don´t know if the resistor mod can change that.

I'm just using my T1 from a Macbook Pro via an Apogee Duet. What are you using at the moment and what speaker amp did you try?

Nov 28, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #9 of 27
Steve had told me the 600 ohm impedance of the T1 would mean bass roll off if used with the Mini Torii, although when I tried it, I really didn't notice this. And while I did not get any hum or buzz with the T1, I did get some hum and buzz from low impedance, high sensitivity headphones. The MT is best with low impedance, low sensitivity planars.

Nov 28, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #10 of 27

Quote:
Steve had told me the 600 ohm impedance of the T1 would mean bass roll off if used with the Mini Torii, although when I tried it, I really didn't notice this. And while I did not get any hum or buzz with the T1, I did get some hum and buzz from low impedance, high sensitivity headphones. The MT is best with low impedance, low sensitivity planars.

Thanks for the info. ummm... I may have to do some more research into this.
Skylab, I believe the T1 favours OTL amps. Do you know if Decware produce anything that would suit the T1?

Nov 28, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #11 of 27

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the info. ummm... I may have to do some more research into this.
Skylab, I believe the T1 favours OTL amps. Do you know if Decware produce anything that would suit the T1?

yes - the CSP-2 is terrific with the T1.

Nov 29, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #14 of 27

Quote:
Skylab, would you say the Mini Torii is your favorite amp with the LCD-2's? I'm looking for a top notch tube amp specifically for the LCD-2's, and know that you've been through a few lately. Any input would be appreciated.

If you mean at any price, then no.  That would be the Leben CS300/X.  But the Mini-Torii would be a pretty close second, and that's impressive given the much cheaper price.  With the LCD-2, the Woo WA-2 is also VERY good, and it's also better with a lot of other headphones that the Mini-Torii isn't really designed for (like the T1 for example).

Nov 29, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #15 of 27
Skylab, thanks for the very quick reply, and yes, I did mean at any price. I knew the Leben was on your list, but it's good to know the Woo also competes. Have you tried any of the Eddie Current offerings? A friend and I were surprised how well the LCD-2's did with the Zana Deux, which seems like a far from ideal matching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back