Yulong A28
Aug 8, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #166 of 252
I still like the A28 quite a bit. It's a solid performer and I don't really think you can get much better for the money. Different? Yeah. Better? Not really. As I said in my review, it's all about finding the best match as far as headphones go. If you end up with a single ended, high impedance headphone, you won't really be playing to the strengths of this amp. Go balanced and especially with low impedance headphones (doubly so for planars) and you have a good chance of being impressed. 

That said, I've heard from several A18 and A28 owners who liked what they heard but PM'd me several times for "reassurance" of sorts. I guess when the name brand doesn't necessarily have as much "prestige" or marketing behind it, it's hard for an inexperienced user to trust that they really got the best amp for their money. Something like a Schiit thread will go on and on confirmating that choice while smaller or foreign companies won't always provide that. 

Not to discount anyone who legitimately isn't impressed by the amp. That's always a possibility with any amp, no matter what I might think of it. 

Aug 8, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #167 of 252
  I still like the A28 quite a bit. It's a solid performer and I don't really think you can get much better for the money. Different? Yeah. Better? Not really. As I said in my review, it's all about finding the best match as far as headphones go. If you end up with a single ended, high impedance headphone, you won't really be playing to the strengths of this amp. Go balanced and especially with low impedance headphones (doubly so for planars) and you have a good chance of being impressed. 

That said, I've heard from several A18 and A28 owners who liked what they heard but PM'd me several times for "reassurance" of sorts. I guess when the name brand doesn't necessarily have as much "prestige" or marketing behind it, it's hard for an inexperienced user to trust that they really got the best amp for their money. Something like a Schiit thread will go on and on confirmating that choice while smaller or foreign companies won't always provide that. 

Not to discount anyone who legitimately isn't impressed by the amp. That's always a possibility with any amp, no matter what I might think of it. 

I think this is a fair statement, and one of the reasons I haven't written off the A28 or A18. Another addendum to the Schiit popularity is that at any meet there's always every Schiit product there. So for me, I know first hand the Mjolnir and my headphones, but with the Yulong I'd be reaching out.

At meets a few people I know have purchased Schiit products after being able to hear them at the meet, and then brought them to the next meet. I've only seen Yulong products once (A100). Actually part of the reason I'm still considering the A28 or A18 is that I thought the A100 was really good at its price point. 

Aug 8, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #168 of 252
I think this is a fair statement, and one of the reasons I haven't written off the A28 or A18. Another addendum to the Schiit popularity is that at any meet there's always every Schiit product there. So for me, I know first hand the Mjolnir and my headphones, but with the Yulong I'd be reaching out.

At meets a few people I know have purchased Schiit products after being able to hear them at the meet, and then brought them to the next meet. I've only seen Yulong products once (A100). Actually part of the reason I'm still considering the A28 or A18 is that I thought the A100 was really good at its price point. 

If you're still considering the A28, let me know. My unit is brand new (just used to burn in and see if it was for me), and it's by far the lowest price you'll find on the forum.

Aug 9, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #169 of 252

If you're still considering the A28, let me know. My unit is brand new (just used to burn in and see if it was for me), and it's by far the lowest price you'll find on the forum.

I did in fact see your listing 
wink.gif
. Also saw it listed on the bay, along with some very good looking cables. The price is indeed a very competitive and very tempting. I'm torn waiting for the Mjolnir 2, in hopes that it might have a SE output and/or other improvements. Having SE and balanced on a single unit is pretty convenient.

Aug 9, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #170 of 252

I did in fact see your listing 
wink.gif
. Also saw it listed on the bay, along with some very good looking cables. The price is indeed a very competitive and very tempting. I'm torn waiting for the Mjolnir 2, in hopes that it might have a SE output and/or other improvements. Having SE and balanced on a single unit is pretty convenient.

Yep, price dropped to $469, that'll be the final one for awhile.

Aug 10, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #172 of 252
@project86 i think that was your review of the ha200 mono's funny how I chose the a28 because it was more affordable used when inside I was really wanting those ha200 monos. I used to have one (not two) and it was a very solid performer in its price. I thought it to be highly overlooked here while everyone jumped on schiit and audio gd stuff. It worked very well with my t50 mods.

I will have the a28 with my zmf x vibros and my he560. Im expecting it to hold their legs up (bass)and add some projection to the vocals of the he560. I just need some trs to xlr and some interconnects. Hopefully it makes my emotiva and spkr taps sound like training wheels on my rig.

Aug 20, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #173 of 252
@project86 i think that was your review of the ha200 mono's funny how I chose the a28 because it was more affordable used when inside I was really wanting those ha200 monos. I used to have one (not two) and it was a very solid performer in its price. I thought it to be highly overlooked here while everyone jumped on schiit and audio gd stuff. It worked very well with my t50 mods.

I will have the a28 with my zmf x vibros and my he560. Im expecting it to hold their legs up (bass)and add some projection to the vocals of the he560. I just need some trs to xlr and some interconnects. Hopefully it makes my emotiva and spkr taps sound like training wheels on my rig.

Any updates or comments on how you felt about this unit vs the nuforce ha200 or NFB28?

Thanks! 

Aug 23, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #174 of 252
I delayed in my response because my source has changed and Im not convinced about its sq. Because I need to record ideas I have to use a UAD Twin Duo which has clean soind and provides a non ideal balanced out through the monitors trs l n right.

I will say that in an unfair comparison to the emotiva mini, this destroys it. Its less thick in the mids than I was expecting and also not as dark as I was expecting. The bass is cool in qty but I can't tell if its my source or the Yulong that is average in tightness. I do know that my source is very balanced, like no other source I have heard balanced, but may not be the best in things like soundstage etc.

What I do like is that I get a dynamic and grainless sound that has good timing it seems. Its a snappy sound with more musicality than the nfb28. Other than that i cant really comment much more. I vaguely recall the ha200 to have a stronger low end but thats a stretch for my memory. I dig it though.

Sorry I cant help much.

Aug 23, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #175 of 252
Hello dear! I also bought Yulong A28, your DAC DA8. Headphones I have Sennheiser HD600 with a 6.3 mm jack and silvering cable (4-pin XLR already ordered) to connect it not expensive 2 ballansnym XLR cable and the sound amplifier A28 upset me, he played worse DA8. The scene was already lacked transparency. Then I placed it on a warm 80-100 hours, the sound was better, but still DA8 played better. Then I replaced ballasny cable AudioQuest Diamondback XLR and the sound has improved markedly, there was such a scene as well as on DA8, air and the sound became more detailed, but most importantly it is warmer and physically than DA8. Overall a good ballansny cable is required. Sorry for my english. :wink:

Sep 21, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #176 of 252
Should I sell Matrix Quattro and buy Yulong A28? 

Im using HD650 + Silver balanced cable in quattro balanced mode. 

Or just think of Questyle? 

Sep 21, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #177 of 252
Depends on what you want to spend. A28 at $599 is way more affordable than a balanced Questyle setup which will run you $3,000. 

Both of them will be an improvement on the Quattro amp. The Questyle will be a larger improvement, though not necessarily proportional to the price increase. With HD650 I think I'd be more inclined to use A28 and call it a day. If you have LCD-3 and HD800 then Questyle would potentially be worth the trouble. 

Sep 23, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #178 of 252
  Should I sell Matrix Quattro and buy Yulong A28? 

Im using HD650 + Silver balanced cable in quattro balanced mode. 

Or just think of Questyle? 

I don't think A28 warm signature matches the dark tonality of HD650. But that's just my preference. I prefer to use my A28 with brighter tonality headphones, such as my HD800, T1, and Hifiman HE5-LE. A28 matches the characteristic of the HE5-LE very well, very enjoyable.  But for other darker tonality headphones, I prefer the headphone output of Yulong DA8.
A28 is good for its balanced output. The unbalanced outputs are not impressive.

Oct 15, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #179 of 252
I have the HD600 and HD800, the A28 in stock form too laid back and dark on the HD600, the HD800 is a better match.
The other parts of my playback chain is the DA8 DAC and transport is a Mac running Audirvana.

I experimented silver litz cables on the HD800, it improves clarity at the expense of the bass punch and depth so it is a juggling act.

I then started to mod both the A28 and the DA8 and came out quite surprised and impressed with the untapped potential of Yulong's designs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back