Yuin PK3 vs Olufsen A8 review
Apr 9, 2008 at 7:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

doomlordis

Banned
Ok i have had my PK3s for around 2 months, my A8s for over a year, i bought the PK3s after reading lots of good reviews here, here is a quick comparison review.

Build quality

A8s win by a mile, PK3s look like they cost around $3, packaging is nice thats it.

Sound Quality

I understand why people like the PK3 , it has reasonable clarity and detail and the bass is strong and thumping.
However it is over hyped in my opinion, it is a little flat sounding and the bass that seemed so impressive at first is actually quite inaccurate , it overpowers the mids and can become tiring on certain albums, i listen to a lot of Daft Punk and if you compare the PK to even the KSC75 it is plainly obvious that the PK3s bass leaves a lot to be desired.

On acoustic music the PK3 fairs better as the treble is nice and clean and vocals sound really nice and warm, i tried the PK3s without the foamies hoping it would reduce the bass a little but it practically removes it!

Overall the PK3s were a little disappointing.

The A8s by comparison will leave you wondering if there is any bass at all, that is until you find the right fit, then you are treated to a fantastically tight and accurate low end, it isnt as in your face as the PK3s and you do need to find the right seal but in my opinion it beats the PK3 and all the other earbuds i have owned.

To add icing to the cake the mids on the A8s are so well balanced with the high and low ends , they sit right where they should, vocals are warm and sooo detailed.

The only negative i wouldgive the A8s is that the treble can sound a little to bright but only just.

I know the A8s are not liked around these parts but i have looked at most comments and they come from people who dont even own them, i think the build quality is worth the money but the sound has been bettered by cheaper
earphones but i wont agree with anyone who says they sound bad, they dont.

I paid £50 for my A8s and i think that is a fair price for what you get , i paid £30 for my PK3s (inc delivery) and i dont think they are worth it , £20 yes.

I am going to buy the PK2s , i expect them to be a better match to the A8s with less bass and more detail than the PK3 , i will post another comparison when they arrive!

Apr 9, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #2 of 9
looking forward to your review on the pk2. I (used to) own the EC-7 which was compared quite often to the A8 and have always wondered how it compared to the highly regarded yuins. Too bad that the EC-7 were hard to get a good fit like the a8 can do because of their hook design, forcing me to return them. Thanks for the review...well done.

Apr 10, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

I know the A8s are not liked around these parts but i have looked at most comments and they come from people who dont even own them, i think the build quality is worth the money but the sound has been bettered by cheaper
earphones but i wont agree with anyone who says they sound bad, they dont.

True. Most people bash them for their price yet never have any real experience with them. For a good few years before AT came out with CM700/EC700, A8 was practically the best earbud in the world.

Apr 10, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #4 of 9
I heard the PK.2 at the Scotland meet. They didn't even compare to how much I liked the A8. I lost my set of A8. I still miss them. One of only three sets of headphones I've owned and now don't which I do miss, along with the SR-001 and the Ergo 2.

Fit with the A8 is more than half of the sound. And the instructions that B&O provide should be put into the bin immediately upon purchase.

Where did you score them for £50? They certainly look real, there's probably no headphones with more fakes floating about. I bought my set from a B&O dealer in Menorca.

Apr 11, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #7 of 9
That's because if you are newbie and you ask about A8, more than often you'll get bash so fast that you wouldn't even know what hits you. Anyway, my review of PK1 vs. A8 is in my signature
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #9 of 9
I've had some A8's for atleast 3 years now and have absolutely thrashed them
smily_headphones1.gif
they have lasted 3 seasons of snowboarding and gone through at least 4 pairs of the little foam covers. They haven't skipped a beat
biggrin.gif

I love their sound - very punchy tight bass (but not as deep as IEM's) ...yeah they aren't perfect but they will never fall off/out of your ears even when hitting 15 footers or half pipes
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back