YUIN PK2 .... Earbud KILLER !!!! (mini review)
Jan 9, 2007 at 8:20 AM Post #31 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nenso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol...... ok.. hows your 2cent income.. you know the kiddies making these...

okok I'm done joking.. if both Krammer and Jahn decide to say they might be worth it... I guess I'll THINK about buying these if I get to demo them sometime later. lol.. still.. it doesn't matter if they sound good if they break right after.. but yea.. I'll acknowledge these once I try them and see.

My how very critical you are of headphones that you have never tried nor held.

If you're so paranoid, buy them from Todd and if you don't like them return them before the 30 guarantee is up. Having a 1 year warranty (plus the lifetime on the cable) is as much official support as you'd get from Grado's official 1 year warranty. Do all great headphones have to have wood and titanium in their construction? If it sounds great and is plastic who cares? Would you have them metal and costing more?

And don't be so snobbish about things being made in China; these days it would seem that just about everything bought is built in a sweat shop SOMEWHERE. Terrible: yes, sad: yes, restricted to things bought from China: Oh hell no.

EDIT: Oh and great review Munkong. Very good to hear impressions first hand and the enthusiasm from the same man that brought us the duck pad mod
icon10.gif

Jan 9, 2007 at 8:47 AM Post #32 of 118
Quote:

Ok, so what you're saying is that these China made earbuds will be better than my Audio-Technica (Made in Japan) Grados hand assembled (Made in USA) compared to these little plastics?

I'm not saying all Chinese things are bad. I'm just wondering about this specific earbuds lol. And can someone post a picture of the free gift they give you?

if you have a chance to listen PK2, and attend to compare with ATH-CM7ti
you would surprise ! can't to compare !
I ever own AtHCM7ti, and sell it after listen 1-2 days
biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2007 at 8:49 AM Post #33 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Build quality doesn't even matter. Earbuds are mostly for portable listening. And with no isolation they lose more SQ than other portable phones. Even IEMs lose some SQ due to external sounds. That is why you hear about IEM's, canalphones, and small closed cans like the K81dj/HD25 way more than earbuds.

Earbuds are talked about least here because they have two flaws, unadjustable fit and no isolation. I wouldn't buy them. The right one would probably fall once in a while like other buds I've used and any noise would cancel out the increased SQ and reduce them to drawer duty.

In ear phones are the thing now. Everyone's jumping on the bandwagon. JBL, Bose, Harmon, Beyer, AKG, V-moda etc.

The lack of isolation in earbuds is what makes them so practical: I'm not going shopping in K 701s, and I can't imagine negotiating the tills (US="checkouts") with a pair of IEMs in my ears. Isolation is only really useful in a small range of environments: long journeys where you can sit still.

As for unadjustable fit, many earbuds (such as my B&O) are adjustable now, and can be relied upon not to fall out. They don't "fit" because they are not designed in such a way as to interact with the shape of an individual's ear ... that's a benefit, since it's the specific shape of the listener's ear that results in complex and expensive customisation processes.

The reason that IEMs get so much discussion here is because they're an audiophile product and this is an audiophile forum. Many of us "grew up" on earbuds and just because IEMs are the new craze should not lead us to forget that for flexibility and comfort earbuds remain the most convenient type of headphone.

Jan 9, 2007 at 11:08 AM Post #34 of 118
Ok, so how do you get ear buds to stay in? I bought some OVC 8+ here in China and these are my first, yes first, ear buds. I never cared to own any but I wanted to try these out. They sound fantastic and are some of what I expect is being heard with the PK series. They are natural, open and good bass but they won't stay in my ear right. I have tried the different foams supplied, one with a hole and the other without and even together so it would be more foam but no real luck.

The PK ear buds interest me and I have a friend in Shanghai that compares them to his HD600's and loves the PK1's.

Jan 9, 2007 at 11:40 AM Post #35 of 118
I heard that the look of the PK2 belies its surprising resilience. I believe one user had the cables tugged several times with amazing force and yet the buds held fast. This was said of the PK1 (IIRC), but I cannot imagine the PK2 being much different in this regard.

Jan 9, 2007 at 12:46 PM Post #36 of 118
YOU'RE the one who brought us the duck mod? ok, I officially respect you because those mods are awsome
biggrin.gif

If you say PK2s are good, then I'll somewhat believe it.

I still dunno where can I buy those duck foams lol

Jan 9, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #37 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, so how do you get ear buds to stay in? I bought some OVC 8+ here in China and these are my first, yes first, ear buds. I never cared to own any but I wanted to try these out. They sound fantastic and are some of what I expect is being heard with the PK series. They are natural, open and good bass but they won't stay in my ear right. I have tried the different foams supplied, one with a hole and the other without and even together so it would be more foam but no real luck.

The PK ear buds interest me and I have a friend in Shanghai that compares them to his HD600's and loves the PK1's.

Unfortunately not all earbuds will work for everyone
frown.gif

Try twisting it around a bit though.. If it still doesn't work you can get one of those DIY custom mold kit for not that much

Btw, i got a replacement pair sent straight from china.. as soon as nankai received my brokenish one. My old one's bass used to bottom out on lower bass frequencies
I asked nankai if this is expected and he said to send it back

Pretty happy really

And right now, i prefer them to my K501.. its just a great fun sounding phone

Jan 10, 2007 at 7:23 AM Post #38 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IIRC, TTVJ is selling both models of the said earbud right now.

I think TTVJ only carries the PK1 model so far.

EDIT: But now I've just read that Head-Direct has models in stock ready to ship via USPS:
"OUR SHIPPING POLICY CHANGED!
Now we have YUIN earphones in stock and we will do USPS priority mail directly to USA and Canada Customers."

It says so on their front page...

Jan 10, 2007 at 7:28 AM Post #39 of 118
i think i posted this somewhere else, but the PK2 definitely sounds better WITHOUT an additional amp. just plug it right into your ipod (well, that's what i use anyhow) and it seems to playback happiest that way - sounding pretty good too.

the PK1 as said before NEED an additional amp. no way that thing's getting to outside levels with a normal headphone out (unless it's a sony D25, hehe!) but as said before, it's on an order of magnitude better than the PK2/KSC75/K81DJ.

Jan 10, 2007 at 7:53 AM Post #40 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think i posted this somewhere else, but the PK2 definitely sounds better WITHOUT an additional amp. just plug it right into your ipod (well, that's what i use anyhow) and it seems to playback happiest that way - sounding pretty good too.

the PK1 as said before NEED an additional amp. no way that thing's getting to outside levels with a normal headphone out (unless it's a sony D25, hehe!) but as said before, it's on an order of magnitude better than the PK2/KSC75/K81DJ.

Would you consider an unamped PK2 to sound better than the K 81 DJ?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 10, 2007 at 8:21 AM Post #41 of 118
Call me what you want, but I would not pay $70 for $1.50 of material and $0.03 of labor, regardless of how "good" they may sound. $70 isn't chump change, at least to some of us. If they were appropriately priced I would certainly go for a pair of decent earbuds.

But this is what you get, for 70 bucks:
DSC00747.jpg

I understand its your money to spend as you wish as I'm only adding my two cents to this discussion, but even in the Koss example the headphones are actually priced appropriately. Honestly, this is a little ridiculous.

Jan 10, 2007 at 8:32 AM Post #42 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by creyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Call me what you want, but I would not pay $70 for $1.50 of material and $0.03 of labor, regardless of how "good" they may sound. $70 isn't chump change, at least to some of us. If they were appropriately priced I would certainly go for a pair of decent earbuds.

But this is what you get, for 70 bucks:
DSC00747.jpg

I understand its your money to spend as you wish as I'm only adding my two cents to this discussion, but even in the Koss example the headphones are actually priced appropriately. Honestly, this is a little ridiculous.

even though at first look they seem "cheap" they might actually tailor more than just $1.50 of materials and $0.03 of labor
icon10.gif

how would you rank the PK1, PK2, KSC75, and AKG K81DJ??? maybe even compare them to higher end headphones like HD595 or Grados?

Jan 10, 2007 at 8:45 AM Post #43 of 118
kk, maybe $3 of material. But I KNOW there's less than 10 cents in labor.

Jan 10, 2007 at 9:56 AM Post #45 of 118
Quote:

I'm glad someone sees it my way. But with all the support, they might be good.

Erm...not entirely. I just have a real problem with the price. And I wasn't trying to be snobbish about it being built in china. Everything is built there, thats not the issue here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back