Yuin PK1 clipon mod
Sep 4, 2009 at 4:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

nickchen

Headphoneus Supremus
I have tried a lot of stuff in the recent years, but nevertheless I was really impressed by the PK1's abilities. I love their emotional sound signature, the details, the punch and the sweeet mids - almost a small Gradessandro.

Fit was an issue though, they slipped or even dropped out of my ears from the slightest physical influences. My buddy NoXter got the idea to convert them into clipons (kind of), great idea, so I proceeded, team tinker again.
cool.gif

_P1010198.jpg
_P1010195.jpg

Basis was 2 lines of braided solid copper wire taken from obsolete house electricity cables with a final "coating" out of heat shrink tube. The buds got semi-fixed with some soldered thinner wire. Copper wires and thin wire got soldered together before applying the shrink stuff.

Soldering was tricky as I did not want to grill buds or cable, so I made a temporary protective thingway for the soldering phase and pushed the wire loop in place later. Needed several attempts to get the perfect wire loop diameter that was wide enough to be pushed over the thicker lower end of the bud, but still provided sufficient fixation. The surface of the buds got scratched a bit, but I don't care, they are ugly bastards anyway. Final step was careful compression of the "loop-in-place" by means of a gripper.

_P1010200.jpg

The semi-moveabilty is important IMO, the buds can still be moved/leaned ~5mm in vertical direction, but don't move much sideways or clockwise.

It took me approx. 15min to bend the wire towards a rough fitting which provided good sound (a mirror helped), but almost 2 more days of slight fiddling here and there to get rid of remaining pressure marks and other discomfort issues. Perfect now. I can wear them for hours nonstop, and I bet I could utilize them even for jogging or downhill biking.

I originally regarded that solution as provisorical and intended to build something more solid later, but things turned out to be much more practical and robust than expected, so I propably keep it unaltered.

Sep 4, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Should be posted in the portable forum, not the full size.

Dammit, you're right, I forgot about that subforum because I almost never was there.

Any mod around to shift the thread?

Sep 4, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #5 of 11
Nice mod nickchen. Not as impressive as your Grado mods however.
L3000.gif

I have smaller ears, so the PK1s have a great fit for me. And having a good fit/seal always seems imperative to having the fullest sound possible. Why not try Kostalex's idea and maybe you will be able to achieve a better fit: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/mx7...arbuds-305357/

So, impressive little earbuds aren't they? A nice alternative to those who dislike the feel or isolation of IEMs, or the bulkiness of full-sized headphones.

Sep 4, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not try the G1A clip-on instead?

I explicitly wanted buds due to their invisibity as extreme alternative to my other gear. I normally use my K271 on the go, even in public areas (yes, I am self confident).

@Philimon: Thank you for that link, I'll give this a try in medium terms.

Sep 9, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philimon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not try Kostalex's idea and maybe you will be able to achieve a better fit: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/mx7...arbuds-305357/

Amazing how much bass these small suckers can provide with a good seal!

Sep 13, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amazing how much bass these small suckers can provide with a good seal!

Yeah...
frown.gif

I find it too much at times (or atleast with certain recordings)... The extra bass is not so bad in not so quiet public portable situations... If I find something not too my liking - I plug in the MS1000 and it sounds just fine (the AD900 sounds good with everything of course
wink.gif
). ...IMO...
I liked the sound signature of the headphones (minus the bass), and that was what I was looking for in a full-sized headphone (plus the benefits of having a full-sized headphone). Which made me look towards more known "bass-light" headphones relative to other members thoughts/reviews.
I just assumed you didn't find the PK1s a little too bassy like me because of the seal issue... I would prefer a little less bass in my situation, and perhaps using no foams at all could solve that (never bothered going foamless, because I thought it would be uncomfortable). I should give it a try. BTW I use the donut foams.

Sep 14, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #11 of 11
If you find the bass too strong, you'd better try suboptimal sealing. With such non perfect sealing, I found the bass K701ish, whereas I have MS2ish bass actually (boom-badaboom)
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back