Your stolen vehicle recovered; now what to check?
Apr 5, 2010 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,

Please don't give condolances or anything about my car being stolen, i'm doing fine and actually approaching the whole thing forgivingly and functionally :p

As such, I want/need to know what to check out now that it's back in my possession. Is it unheard of for them to plant tracking devices or something devious like that?

More importantly of course; What are the car parts typically damaged by a joyride? I am assuming it'll need a basic oil change and check on all fluid levels (oil was really really low when it was recovered, i topped off) but not sure what else. Maybe suspension and tailpipe/muffler, if they were driving it around on really bumpy terrain?

It's a 1988 compact sedan Nissan

Thanks

Apr 5, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #4 of 17
How long was it gone for?

I would just take it for a drive. If it tracks straight you're probably fine. If you don't notice any additional curb rash to the wheels then your control arms, suspension, etc. are probably the same as when you lost the car. As long as you topped off the oil I wouldn't worry too much. Look it over real well under the hood and make sure no parts have been removed. Other than that you're good to go.

Apr 5, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #5 of 17
You have to consider the type of feral human that does this sort of thing. He was most likely a pimp and an IV drug user. Undoubtedly, the cabin is iced over in semen. Bet you could ring a pint of blood out of the carpet. You and a friend should tow it somewhere secluded and torch it, 'cause driving that thing would be as disgusting as using the carpet from a motel that rents by the hour to dry yourself after a shower. You wipe your face with the hotel carpet and your bottom lip catches the matted loop-pile. It starts to curl your lip downward and any fluid or fleck in the carpet is drug across you inner bottom lip.

Apr 5, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #7 of 17
be sorry they didn't keep your 88 Nissan? but seriously I would just have your mech look it over, i doubt they messed with anything safety wise, and you should be able to tell if anything is missing. if your really worried about it take it your mechanic and just have him check it over, I mean you know the saying " drove it like i stole it"

Apr 5, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #9 of 17
Trade it in for a brand spanking new one!!!
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #10 of 17
I've had quite a few run-ins with car thieves in san francisco. If it's on one piece after 2 weeks than they probably just needed a car to buy/deliver drugs or as the above say, "encase in seamen." Drive it around and have a mechanic check it out (you insurance company will likely be the one insist on this because they don't want to insure a poc). Chances are that nobody planted a "tracking device" or otherwise in your 1988 Nissan but if they did, you should leave them a note asking them to keep it next time so you can use the money for a great listening rig for the bus. HA! just kidding...

Apr 5, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #11 of 17
They took (almost) everything from the car -- and trust me I had a ton of piles of crap in this car -- I can't decide if they pawned it for drug money or just threw it away. Some of it was worth something but most was just paperwork and crap like that. I can see them grumbling as they dig through half a car worth of mess, kinda funny
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 5, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #12 of 17
Sounds like your car was the proverbial "free candy bowl" for them. Thieves see a lot of stuff as an invitation whether it's all junk or not, they're playing the odds. Plus, anything made more than 5 or so years ago (especially oriental cars) is pretty much free for the taking since even the most novice lock-pick/auto thief can open them. Seriously, I bet if you go fishing around the window with a coat hanger your door will pop. If you're really invested in your car I'd buy a Viper alarm. IMO one of the best but be sure to get the initiation kill switch. It still wont protect anything on the inside from the old "smash and grab" but they wont be able to start your car. Glad you didn't lose much.

Apr 6, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #14 of 17
If we're talking purely mechanical issues, since plenty of others have been covered already, I'd check:

-Alignment- (as mentioned above) if it doesn't track straight it may have said hello to a curb or two, or worse.
-Catalytic Converter- is it there? (as mentioned)
-Mileage- this may give an indication as to what the car was used for.
-Diagnostic Port- if the car has one of these (I'm not 100% sure given the year) it may tell you if the car was very badly abused by producing overrev codes, etc.

Apr 6, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have to consider the type of feral human that does this sort of thing. He was most likely a pimp and an IV drug user. Undoubtedly, the cabin is iced over in semen. Bet you could ring a pint of blood out of the carpet. You and a friend should tow it somewhere secluded and torch it, 'cause driving that thing would be as disgusting as using the carpet from a motel that rents by the hour to dry yourself after a shower. You wipe your face with the hotel carpet and your bottom lip catches the matted loop-pile. It starts to curl your lip downward and any fluid or fleck in the carpet is drug across you inner bottom lip.

As long as Samgotit didn't take your car, I'd say you're safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back