Your immediate reaction to the May '13 Stereophile cover
Apr 12, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #16 of 38
Magazine's gotta make money somehow. 

One easy way to do that is to reach an already established market audience. 

Seems legit to me.

Yeah, but they've forever lost me as an audience - they've shown they have no respect for my preferred means of listening to music.

I guess it doesn't matter too much, the dead-tree magazine format will be dead before too long.

Apr 12, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #17 of 38
It's like having a picture of a massive McDonald's double cheeseburger with a box of KFC hot wings in the background on the front cover of the BBC Good Food guide.

Apr 13, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #18 of 38
reeks of selling out to advertisments to me...

Apr 13, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #20 of 38
I think it's brilliant.  It is a very effective means of reaching out to prospective audiophiles.

The reviewer gave the Aviators a pretty good review, and then relentlessly pounded on the Beats in a very effective review that was reasonable and compelling.

This hobby needs to attract younger and less-experienced people.  It's about time that Stereophile started to modernize their stuffy and elitist image.  I renewed my subscription as soon as I read the article.

My immediate reaction was similar to what I'm reading in this thread.   I'm glad I didn't judge the issue by its cover...

Apr 13, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #21 of 38
I thought it was like putting a $300 Chinese receiver on the cover, which they would NEVER do.

If you look at the April issue, Recommended Components, you'll see how hopeless they are on headphones and amps.  Yes, they sponsor Tyll's site but the two have very little in common.  I wonder why they even bother.

Apr 13, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #22 of 38
Quote:
Magazine's gotta make money somehow. 
One easy way to do that is to reach an already established market audience. 

Seems legit to me.

The magazine is around 50 years old - the new "writing style", etc. gets increasingly abstract, ("pop") there is so much blather (sometimes a full page) before getting to the grits of the piece of gear or topic.

The new headphone article is garbage--I'd love to share some "funny" quotes, but the mag is in the other room.

(I recall an anecdote wherein the author "runs into a fine blonde, a brunette and a redhead" ... of course they notice his headphones around his "scarved neck" (lol) burst into giggle, say "Those are the headphones!!" and the chicks bail.)    Huh??

I guess I thought older bearded gentlemen wrote the magazine. 
smile_phones.gif

Apr 14, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #23 of 38
Quote:

- the new "writing style", etc. gets increasingly abstract, ("pop") there is so much blather ....

Sounds like it will reach that audience then 
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #25 of 38
Wow those Koss ones are possibly the most vile monstrosity I have ever had the displeasure of seeing.

I suppose at the end of the day they are all trying to make money and whatever is necessary they will resort to.

Apr 14, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #26 of 38
Quote:
Wow those Koss ones are possibly the most vile monstrosity I have ever had the displeasure of seeing.

I suppose at the end of the day they are all trying to make money and whatever is necessary they will resort to.

Totally agree. Looks like a rainbow threw up all over my headphone.
Why is it so hard to have a black, white or gray option?

Apr 14, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #27 of 38
It appears to me that only one person actually read the article.  Actually I think most people would have agreed with the review.  The skull candies were ok, but nothing special and designed to appeal to those people who believe fashion is a strong factor to consider when choosing headphones.  The beats basically suck.  Do those of you with the negative comments disagree with the review, or is your point that they should not have reviewed something that appears to be popular with the general public as it does not fit your idea of a decent headphone. 

The review appeared in the section devoted to budget components and was not geared to the more elite crowd on this forum.  

I think it interesting that they featured a component and gave it a bad review.   I doubt they will get much advertising from either company.

Apr 14, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #28 of 38
The Beats don't even look fasionable, they actually look as cheap and as plasticy as they sound.

I keep seeing adverts on the TV going on about the Beats so called "legendary" sound.

Legendary? Really?

Apr 14, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #29 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Quest /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Legendary? Really?

Urban Legend.

Apr 14, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #30 of 38
Quote:
It's like having a picture of a massive McDonald's double cheeseburger with a box of KFC hot wings in the background on the front cover of the BBC Good Food guide.

Except that BBC Good Food Guide won't put the double cheeseburger and hot wings in Class B in Recommended Good Foods
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back