your favorite musical genre?
Apr 24, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #46 of 245

Quote:
Hopefully one day you will discover the experience of classical music. It is much more than catchy melodies.

i respect classical music for what it is but i just don't enjoy it all that much. if you want me to like it (or at least try it) send me your best classical/symphonic music.

Apr 24, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #47 of 245

Quote:
i respect classical music for what it is but i just don't enjoy it all that much. if you want me to like it (or at least try it) send me your best classical/symphonic music.

Sorry if it sounded like a was forcing you to like it. What I should of said was classical music is very rewarding for me and if you get the same enjoyment from another type of music then we are both very fortunate.

I don't want to suggest any classical music because to get into classical you need to enjoy it generally on your own first then explore it further. 

Apr 24, 2011 at 4:16 AM Post #48 of 245
Though I also listen to (and like) classical, jazz, Americana/bluegrass/folk, pop/rock, metal, my favorite genre by far is electronica/trip-hop. There are a variety of reasons why it speaks to me the most. A huge variety of musical creativity is possible, especially today when most of it is created on a computer and tools like samplers and synthesizers are available. I also like how a lot of it lacks tonality at all, or rhythm, or regular musical structure. My favorite sub-genres are breakbeat, IDM, trance, ambient/downtempo, and industrial, though I'll also listen to DnB, techno, and house, depending on the artist.

Quote:
Trip Hop/Electronica 1990s - Faithless

Wow, no offense intended but if your idea of electronica/trip-hop is limited to the 90s and Faithless, you need to expand more. True, the genre was probably bigger in the 90s, but Faithless is hardly what I'd call representative of trip-hop.

Apr 24, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #49 of 245
wasn't sure whether to check the "rock" or "metal" box...I'm a child of the '80's so its hair metal for me.  But by today's standards of metal I don't think the spandex and hair spray equal the output of the nu-metal/death metal stuff (which isn't my cup of tea).

Apr 24, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #50 of 245

Quote:
wasn't sure whether to check the "rock" or "metal" box...I'm a child of the '80's so its hair metal for me.  But by today's standards of metal I don't think the spandex and hair spray equal the output of the nu-metal/death metal stuff (which isn't my cup of tea).

you can check more then one genre you know. also i wish i grew up in that decade. would have loved to live through the great ages of metal. also nu metal isn't metal, its hardcore laced with rap elements.

Apr 25, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #51 of 245
Quote:

That isn't how it works. In order to enjoy a wide variety of music, you have to make an effort to understand it. Lots of kids figure that music/art/literature/etc. are passive mediums like television. They aren't. They are languages that need to be learned to be appreciated. There are certain kinds of music that appeal to a person with limited experience, just like babies tend to like certain types of foods. As you mature (if you mature) your tastes bloom through experience and making the effort to widen your frame of reference. But they won't grow if you sit back and expect the music to come to you.

Apr 25, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #52 of 245

Quote:
That isn't how it works. In order to enjoy a wide variety of music, you have to make an effort to understand it. Lots of kids figure that music/art/literature/etc. are passive mediums like television. They aren't. They are languages that need to be learned to be appreciated. There are certain kinds of music that appeal to a person with limited experience, just like babies tend to like certain types of foods. As you mature (if you mature) your tastes bloom through experience and making the effort to widen your frame of reference. But they won't grow if you sit back and expect the music to come to you.

+2 Couldn't have said it any better.

Apr 25, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #53 of 245
Older female jazz singers--Ella, and those types
Classical Jazz--Miles, Coltrane, Bird, Bill Evans nothing modern with exception of piano jazz from Jarrett
Classical big symphonies--any and all
Opera

DOn't know percentages but this mix takes up about 70 gigs and about 200 vinyl LPs

Apr 25, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #54 of 245
Quote:
In order to enjoy a wide variety of music, you have to make an effort to understand it. Lots of kids figure that music/art/literature/etc. are passive mediums like television. They aren't. They are languages that need to be learned to be appreciated.

Hear, hear! And I say this as someone who hasn't learned to appreciate most classical music, so I'm definitely not being elitist about it
wink_face.gif
   There's a lot of music that other people love that I don't "get." But over the last five years or so I've expanded my musical tastes in leaps and bounds. I went from being a primarily rock and alt.country listener who thought music without vocals/lyrics was boring to having a major love for many different kinds of music and learning that a masterful instrumentalist can be just as expressive as a voice. It happened by turning myself into an active listener instead of a passive listener. I can still be a passive listener, to some music, and that's fine... but I've found a whole world of music out there by learning to pay attention.

I'm hoping if I give it another five years I'll conquer a couple more genres that I want to appreciate but so far haven't been able to. (But who knows, maybe that music just isn't for me.)

Apr 25, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #55 of 245

Quote:

Hear, hear! And I say this as someone who hasn't learned to appreciate most classical music, so I'm definitely not being elitist about it
wink_face.gif
   There's a lot of music that other people love that I don't "get." But over the last five years or so I've expanded my musical tastes in leaps and bounds. I went from being a primarily rock and alt.country listener who thought music without vocals/lyrics was boring to having a major love for many different kinds of music and learning that a masterful instrumentalist can be just as expressive as a voice. It happened by turning myself into an active listener instead of a passive listener. I can still be a passive listener, to some music, and that's fine... but I've found a whole world of music out there by learning to pay attention.

I'm hoping if I give it another five years I'll conquer a couple more genres that I want to appreciate but so far haven't been able to. (But who knows, maybe that music just isn't for me.)

Its like a journey! A beautiful and rewarding adventure. 
I too do not fully understand classical music and I'd have it no other way. I hope I never fully understand it. Discovering something new is so very exciting and mind blowing.

Apr 25, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #56 of 245
Rock

Apr 25, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #59 of 245

Quote:
Symphonic metal? Never heard of that. Sounds interesting. Any recommendations?

A list of bands here

I can recommend Nightwish..they are a Symphonic power metal band. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back